Wiki Posts
Search

400 points short of companion pass!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Diamond,Marriott Gold
400 points short of companion pass!

You think I could call SWA and ask them nicely for the 400. I do have the CC. Or am I looking at a mileage run. SO CLOSE!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: LTP, PP
You can call. I wouldn't expect a positive response though. CC only helps if the points post in the next 10 days.

I think you can buy something or rent a car where the points post quickly but others will have more up to date details than I can recall.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:33 am

You could try to call, but I doubt it will work.

There are a lot of ways to get Companion Qualifying Points (CPQ), although this close to the end of the year you need to do something fast. The counter resets at the end of the year.

As far as the Credit Card spend, the credit card points post after the close of your statement so unless you already have some spending this month and your statement closes in the next few days you are probably out of luck there.

Other methods include purchases from Southwest Partners for car rental, hotel stays, Southwest Dining, the shopping portal and other partners (but these may not post in time).

The surest method is to fly. Points generally post a couple of hours after completing the flight. You can do a simple out and back worth 400+ points and even use points for one leg to reduce the cost.

You can purchase points but I'm not sure if purchased points qualify for Companion Pass.
You can transfer Ultimate Rewards points if you have a qualifying Credit card, but again I'm not sure they are CPQ.
Perhaps someone else can clear that up.

The most important thing is to HURRY.
PcolaPaul likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Diamond,Marriott Gold
Thank you very much! Very helpful
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
You could try to call, but I doubt it will work.

There are a lot of ways to get Companion Qualifying Points (CPQ), although this close to the end of the year you need to do something fast. The counter resets at the end of the year.

As far as the Credit Card spend, the credit card points post after the close of your statement so unless you already have some spending this month and your statement closes in the next few days you are probably out of luck there.

Other methods include purchases from Southwest Partners for car rental, hotel stays, Southwest Dining, the shopping portal and other partners (but these may not post in time).

The surest method is to fly. Points generally post a couple of hours after completing the flight. You can do a simple out and back worth 400+ points and even use points for one leg to reduce the cost.

You can purchase points but I'm not sure if purchased points qualify for Companion Pass.
You can transfer Ultimate Rewards points if you have a qualifying Credit card, but again I'm not sure they are CPQ.
Perhaps someone else can clear that up.

The most important thing is to HURRY.
I'm pretty sure purchased points and UR points don't qualify.
ursine1 and roundtree like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: AA, WN, NK
I'm at work so I can't check if the sale is still on but I did Babbel..

https://rapidrewardsshopping.southwe....htm?gmid=5586

Points posted under a week, worth a shot..
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I'm pretty sure purchased points and UR points don't qualify.
Correct.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
I would think this situation calls for a mileage run. Guarantees the points post on time. Surely there has to be a cheap roundtrip available for this. Anything over $34 (WGA) each way would do it.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:15 pm

Is it exactly 400? You can get 390 tomorrow (or several other days before end of year) by doing TPA-FLL-TPA for $93 round trip. You could do it tomorrow morning and be back in Tampa before noon.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
From my bad memory, don't flowers or rental cars post relatively quickly?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by joshua362
Don't know about flowers, but my experience with rental cars is you're lucky if they post at all.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:03 pm

1-800 Flowers via southwest.com is best bet. Or take a gamble and see if they offer you a promotion or opportunity to purchase points. Neither of those is guaranteed tho.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:05 pm

I know Southwest occasionally has targeted offers to buy Tier Qualifying Points, have they ever done that with CPQPs?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Reports vary,
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ursine1
I know Southwest occasionally has targeted offers to buy Tier Qualifying Points, have they ever done that with CPQPs?
I do not recall any such.
ursine1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.