Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSP/ATL/RSW 45 minute Layover in ATL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Mute point now it seems, I paid about 10.5K points for our current flight, yesterday the earlier flight was 20K miles so it would have cost me another ~9500 points

I just looked and they now want 29.5 K or $430 for a O/W ticket in WGA...........that's comical and I have no idea why anyone would pay that unless flying 2/1 using CP.

Why it is about 9500 points cheaper to book the same flights separately?

MSP/ATL 6:30 - 10 am 9,199 points............ATL/RSW 10:45 am - 12:25 pm 11,231 points ....total 20,430 points

MSP/ATL/RSW.......same flights, 29,531 points
Supply and demand!
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NextTrip
Supply and demand!
Still doesn't make sense that I can book both legs ( msp/atl and atl/rsw) separately (same exact flights) for 2/3 of the price of booking MSP/ATL/RSW

Maybe it's always cheaper to book that way as I never looked before
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:23 pm

Still doesn't make sense that I can book both legs ( msp/atl and atl/rsw) separately (same exact flights) for 2/3 of the price of booking MSP/ATL/RSW

You will find that sometimes it is cheaper and most times it isn't cheaper. Sometimes one of the legs isn't even available to book individually. Or, the route isn't available booked as connecting flights, but is available if booked separately. It is about marketing. For example, if an airline is trying to break into a market, say Alaska with intra-California flights for instance, SWA will discount a route in which Alaska is trying to get a foot-hold. Depends on routing and dates.
flyer4512 likes this.

Last edited by NextTrip; Dec 19, 2018 at 11:36 pm
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Actually, it makes perfect sense. Maybe the competition on those two shorter routes forces them to offer lower fares, but not on the longer route. Remember that you see it as MSP-ATL-RSW. They see it as MSP-RSW. It is not two flights in their world, just one.

Same thing as hidden city flights. Sometimes people book the distant city, lets say they want to go to Kansas City, but it is really expensive. But there is a Chicago to LAX flight where the plane stops in Kansas City on the way. They book a ticket to LAX and just get off in KC. Competition, supply and demand.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Actually, it makes perfect sense. Maybe the competition on those two shorter routes forces them to offer lower fares, but not on the longer route. Remember that you see it as MSP-ATL-RSW. They see it as MSP-RSW. It is not two flights in their world, just one..
MSP/RSW Nonstop on Delta was under $400 yesterday.................not sure who would choose to pay more to turn a 3 1/2 hour direct flight into 5 hours and have the hassle of a connection, delays, etc.. One factor that has me hesitant to change flights is who knows what the weather can bring in Minneapolis March 1. If I miss that 45 minute connection @ 10:45 am the only other flight ATL/RSW that day on WN is the 8:10 pm flight I am am scheduled on that may be sold out by March 1. In other words good luck getting to RSW that day on WN if anyone misses that connection as WN would have to route you to RSW out of ATL via another stop(s)

EDIT,...............They raised the price about 9K points on Tuesday for the MSP/ATL/RSW and lowered the price about 7K points today so it's more in line now price wise with booking the 2 separate legs

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Same thing as hidden city flights. Sometimes people book the distant city, lets say they want to go to Kansas City, but it is really expensive. But there is a Chicago to LAX flight where the plane stops in Kansas City on the way. They book a ticket to LAX and just get off in KC. Competition, supply and demand.
I did that once and received a very nasty call from Delta saying if it happened again they could ban me from flying DL.

BDL/MSP/RST was cheaper than BDL/MSP...............I live just outside RST which is an hour drive from MSP so I never flew the MSP/RST leg. The MSP/RST leg was a 3 hour layover so I told them I had an emergency but I'm sure they could figure it out as I had no checked bags.

Last edited by flyer4512; Dec 20, 2018 at 2:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.