Wiki Posts
Search

Missed A-List by 5 points...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Missed A-List by 5 points...

Due to an emergency surgery on a business trip I had to cancel a return leg of a flight which would have put me over the top for A-List Status via points. I am now literally 5 points short of A-List.

Will be a few weeks before I could even fly again, but do not have any trips planned through the rest of the year...anyone know how lenient they are on reaching the goal?...literally 5 points!
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
No idea, Maxwell. Do you have the premier card? $10,000 spend = 1,500 TQP. Overkill for you though, maybe you've been using it anyway during the year?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:47 pm

do points earned through the rapid rewards shopping portal count towards A list?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:13 pm

Butts in seats
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by youranut
do points earned through the rapid rewards shopping portal count towards A list?
No
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:27 pm

Need to fly.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Your profile does not show your location, but the bottom line is that you should simply look at WN destinations from your home airport for the time period when you are able to fly and then purchase the cheapest RT you can find on a weekend day and go somewhere. Or, turn it into a quick trip somewhere you want to go for a day or two. Or decide it ain't worth it.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:43 pm

They’re not going to offer any exception with two months to go. However, if you’re willing to offer proof of emergency surgery and inability to fly through the end of the year, they might offer an exception through an opt-in challenge of book and fly six flights or so. If you’re already planning to fly, that could be easy to do. Customer Relations in Dallas is who can authorize it, and it will probably require manager approval.

Otherwise, they might offer the option to purchase tier points again.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Panther02
They’re not going to offer any exception with two months to go. However, if you’re willing to offer proof of emergency surgery and inability to fly through the end of the year, they might offer an exception through an opt-in challenge of book and fly six flights or so. If you’re already planning to fly, that could be easy to do. Customer Relations in Dallas is who can authorize it, and it will probably require manager approval.

Otherwise, they might offer the option to purchase tier points again.
They won’t make an exception. Terms have to be met.
You will only be offered an A List Challenge promotion or option to purchase tier points if it’s already in their marketing plan to offer it. It won’t be just for you.
Usually something is offered after Jan 1st but you really never know. Only way to guarantee status 100% is to fly by Dec 31.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Doing the challenge is not going to help since he already said he is not planning to fly at all - and surely is not going to make six flights.

Posted only needs a few miles.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:40 pm

My understanding is that they make no concessions in these cases.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:55 am

You could always ask, provide documentation of the surgery and the Dr. recommendation not to fly. All they can do is say no, but I'd wait until closer to the end of the year. Or as others have suggested you can schedule a short mileage run probably pretty cheap. You could even pay for the outbound and do the return on points to reduce cost. If it was me I'd do the flight, unless the Dr advised against flying. I recently had to take a 2 month hiatus from flying due to a medical issue that delayed my re upping A-List but I only need 1 more flight and I have several scheduled..
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
You could always ask, provide documentation of the surgery and the Dr. recommendation not to fly. All they can do is say no, but I'd wait until closer to the end of the year. Or as others have suggested you can schedule a short mileage run probably pretty cheap. You could even pay for the outbound and do the return on points to reduce cost. If it was me I'd do the flight, unless the Dr advised against flying. I recently had to take a 2 month hiatus from flying due to a medical issue that delayed my re upping A-List but I only need 1 more flight and I have several scheduled..
Have you heard of WN actually doing this? The evidence is absolutely to the contrary.

Besides, OP is only out of action for a "few weeks" (his words) and it is the end of October. Even if a "few weeks" is an entire month, that leaves all of December for a quick hop to some place and back or a long weekend. OP only said that he doesn't have any travel planned. That is exactly what WN wants to dislodge, e.g., WN wants him to travel.

I would not wait. I would find what I can for WGA cheap fare for December before those are gone and spend a day BIS.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Often1
I would not wait. I would find what I can for WGA cheap fare for December before those are gone and spend a day BIS.
Not even a day most likely. Or do the premier credit card (if that is still the deal) but hurry. Cash there, points back was a brilliant idea.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Home city for OP? Folks might be able to help with ideas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.