Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Time?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Boarding Time?

Has anyone else noticed a focus on beginning boarding right at the published boarding time or a few minutes early? Something I have seen over the last few weeks/months. Not ideal on tight connections without assigned seats.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Would you prefer they wait until a few minutes after the published boarding time?

Actually, if there are pre-boards, I'd rather they start early.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:41 pm

And if it happens on all flights (your first and your connection) is there really an impact? There's only a negative impact if it only happens on the connection and not the first flight, but it's actually beneficial to you if it only happens on the first flight.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
They tend to board "early" more on weekends with fuller flights when there is a higher amount of non frequent travelers present and any time you are on an 800 full flight where there are more seats to board

Weekdays I have not notices any changes,
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:40 pm

Could be to goose on-time arrivals.

January through August 2018:

steved5480 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:50 am

And by "a few minutes" early, are we talking like three minutes, or ten? Three minutes could probably be explained by simple statistical error, more or less experienced gate staff, someone's watch is fast, etc.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:08 am
Original Poster

We’re just talking 5 minutes or so but it’s enough to be frustrating if you have a tight connection or if you want to get something to eat before the flight.

It’s definitely not like it was years ago where the previous flight was scheduled to arrive at the 30 minute mark. These planes seem to sit on the ground a lot longer.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The "boarding time" is purely notional. It starts when the aircraft, crew, and operations team (gate, baggage, fuel) are ready for it to start. The flight is then ready to push as soon as all passengers who were timely at the gate are onboard and the various flight closing formalities have been completed. No reason to delay boarding or departure for something purely artificial.

This is true of almost all carriers. On WN it has the potential of causing some annoyance because WN does not assign seats. Thus, if you happened to hold A1 and don't arrive from a connection until T-20, you will wind up boarding way down the pecking order and presumably in a lousier seat.

That is simple of the choices one has to make when flying WN. Neither good nor bad, Simply a choice.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Often1
The "boarding time" is purely notional. It starts when the aircraft, crew, and operations team (gate, baggage, fuel) are ready for it to start. The flight is then ready to push as soon as all passengers who were timely at the gate are onboard and the various flight closing formalities have been completed. No reason to delay boarding or departure for something purely artificial.
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

I had a similar observation about my routine every morning before going to work. The alarm goes off at the same time every day. I hit the snooze three times, or just twice on the mornings I have to shave. I shower, get dressed, eat breakfast, make my lunch and head out the door to drive to work (four miles). After the alarm goes off the first time, I usually don't even look at a clock again unless I happen to glance it on the car radio on the way to work. But I manage to arrive at work within plus or minus just a few minutes every day. Gain a few seconds here and there; lose a few here and there too.

That last sentence can be applied to the gate and boarding prep too I would think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.