Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Takeaways From My First Southwest Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Takeaways From My First Southwest Experience

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Why us this in the DL forum? Has zero to do with DL.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

I put this in the DL forum because I have been a DL elite for many years and the 2 big discussions/problems on this board in recent weeks have been gate lice and seat poaching/swapping, both of which I noticed were irrelevant/moot on my first ever SW flight yesterday. To me it was an opportunity to compare/contrast DL’s and WN’s different business models and features-especially for someone based in ATL.
Ysitincoach likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Why us this in the DL forum? Has zero to do with DL.
Had everything to do with DL.
It was a comparison to Delta’s products and services.

Didn’t read the thread? Or just the title and chose to ignore the body?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach

Had everything to do with DL.
It was a comparison to Delta’s products and services.

Didn’t read the thread? Or just the title and chose to ignore the body?
Read it all. This was a thread about WN. Mods apparently agree also. If I want to know how WN service stacks up, I'll go to the WN forum.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought this was the Southwest forum.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:54 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Tis easy to skip flying WN

I can book a confirmed good seat on DL. regardless of the boarding gate lice
I can fly extra leg room on DL but not on WN
I don't get gamed by people with altered boarding passes boarding in the A10 slots ahead of me having paid an exorbitant Early Boarding fee
I can use a nearby DL Sky lounge before my flight
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by rickg523
I thought this was the Southwest forum.
It is. Someone started the thread in the wrong forum and it got moved here.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by RRDD

Why would you have to ask if a seat was available? No butt in the seat..... then it’s available.
+1
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:31 am

I fly WN with my wife as we have Companion pass. We pay for EBCI and get mid A boarding.

I fly DL or AA when I'm alone..............I'll take the assigned seat any day. I book 99% of my flights the day they go on sale and always pay in miles and get a very good assigned seat with no status as all my miles are earned via CC sign up bonuses.

Since I have the DL/AA credit card I also board Zone 1/preferred so no problem storing my carry on and I get a free checked bag.

Last edited by flyer4512; Oct 22, 2018 at 11:40 am
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
I used to fly WN often, but I stopped several years ago for a few reasons. I always found B6 to be a much better experience overall.
  • I hate the boarding process and the seating uncertainty, so I used to buy Early Bird.
  • EB used to (ca. 2010) all but guarantee A1-15; that's no longer the case. Not even remotely.
  • IROPS handling is a joke. Not as bad as F9, but not far off.
Finally, the main reason I used to fly WN was schedule convenience due to their lesser reliance on hubs. If I have to connect regardless, I don't really see the point of WN. Especially since they're no less expensive than the US3.

The majority of non-hub flights from my home airport are leisure routes (4x daily to MCO, 2x to FLL, 1x to TPA), and the mix of people on board is, well, interesting. A lot of unnecessary drama and poor behavior from folks who aren't accustomed to flying. I understand this is highly route dependent and not the fault of WN by any means.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by hotturnip
This is a fluke. I can remember once when this happened to me on WN, but it only happened once. Typically, checking in right at T24 lands you in the upper half of B, or maybe the bottom of A.

And don't be seduced by this. The first time you have IRROPS on WN, the bloom will be off the rose--believe me.
That hasn't been my experience flying out of ATL, though to be fair I'm not nearly as frequent a flyer as most here. Flying out of ATL to DEN, CLE, and occasional other locations 2-3 times a year on Southwest, I've consistently gotten high A/low B boarding number checking in at 24 hours before. The only time I've ever had high B was when I forgot and checked in an hour late. To date, the worst delay I've had with Southwest was a little over 1.5 hours leaving HOU on the second to last flight of the night, due to the incoming flight being delayed somewhere else up the pipeline.

My most recent experience with AA on the other hand had my outbound from ATL-ORD cancelled due to "weather" 10 hours before departure when everybody else was still planning to operate as scheduled, second flight out of ATL to ORD. So instead of getting rested for my award trip to Japan, I ended up having to stay up another hour trying to protect my JAL F redemption. Reps were more than happy to route me to any other city and fly me over on AA metal, but no way could they put me on either of the next two flights or the very first flight out to ORD so that I could still make my original itinerary, and the option of putting me on Delta or United was never even brought up. I'm pretty much convinced at this point that as a low status peon, Southwest is no worse than the majors when it comes to re-accommodating passengers, so I'll continue flying them because they make flying much more pleasant than the majors.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
The common wisdom about WN is that it's better for no-status passengers than the big legacy airlines (AA, DL, UA) while the legacies are better for those who can achieve mid- or high tier status. Thus it's interesting that OP is offering a favorable comparison of flying no-status on WN to being a DL elite.

I'll gently point out that OP's good experience on WN occurred on a flight during which everything went right. Checking in at T-24 to get a low boarding number works when it works. But when you can't pull out your phone or computer right at T-24 to do it you might get stuck with a crummy number. And even having a great number doesn't help if you arrive late to boarding for whatever reason-- a frustrating one being that you're connecting and your inbound flight was late. And IRROPS... yeah, I've been stuck overnight twice in the past 12 months when the first leg of a connecting itinerary was delayed and WN didn't have anything else within its own network to get me there same-day. The last time that almost happened on a legacy (UA) they booked me over to another airline (AA) and I arrived only 2 hours later than planned that evening instead of the middle of the next day.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
The WN way works because it is WN. It does not mean the WN way works for other airlines.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I'm a graduating UA Gold, a WN A-lister and will soon be AS MVP. Overall the WN CP benefits outweigh UA E+ and the very rare upgrade. In my experience more WN Y passengers are business travelers, and more UA Y passengers are on their one flight per year.

As an aside, with WN it really pays to have the right credit card strategy. I have an Amex Platinum which gives me lounges on both sides of my winter commute OAK-RNO flights, along with my occasional LAS, PDX, MSP, LAX and SEA trips. Most of my WN travel is on "shuttle" routes with plenty of capacity to manage irrops. When I'm on a WN "long skinny" city pair I purchase the tickets with a Chase card that provides generous trip delay insurance; this does yield fewer points, but saves money in the long run. I use AS for my HNL laps (4x/year) and ANC laps (4x/year) and as a convenient account when I've gone non *A overseas. Given changes in Star Alliance, and improvements in AS, I've been sending more of my international business their way.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by hotturnip
This is a fluke. Typically, checking in right at T24 lands you in the upper half of B, or maybe the bottom of A.
He said he got a high A. That doesn't mean A-1 or A-15, it means like A-40 or A-50 or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.