Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Did points to dollars conversation ratios change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite

Perhaps I missed this but I noted on a flight that I have been monitoring for a family member that the number of Anytime points required is significantly less than 100 points per dollar.

For STL-DEN, Flight 4179 (as an example), 12:10 PM departure, November 21. Periodically the WGA fare has been available and it is currently 13,480 points or $200. The Anytime fare is 24,509 points or $352. Of course, if booking on points, one would want to book on the WGA fare, since points are fully refundable if the flight is cancelled. I have seen availability on the WGA fare come and go a few times.

However, the points/dollar ratios are 67.4 and 69.62 using the "easy method" of points divided by dollars. Yes, I know I should back out the taxes, but for quick calculations, this works. Obviously using any calculation method, the Anytime fare is not 100 points per dollar, which was the rate when RR 2.0 was first introduced.

Was this change announced and I missed it?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Yes, they got rid of the outrageous AT & BS point multipliers (about a year ago ?) It was likely a trade-off for some sort of devaluation but I can't recall the specifics.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joshua362
Yes, they got rid of the outrageous AT & BS point multipliers (about a year ago ?) It was likely a trade-off for some sort of devaluation but I can't recall the specifics.
It never made sense for AT/BS to be 100/120. You’d have come out ahead buying a gift card for one cent a point and getting points when you flew.

Except I guess for cancellabilty.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by toomanybooks

It never made sense for AT/BS to be 100/120. You’d have come out ahead buying a gift card for one cent a point and getting points when you flew.

Except I guess for cancellabilty.
Except that WGA on points is fully refundable! No idea what they were thinking or maybe just an internal mistake or just trying to catch suckers with lots of points to burn...
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:15 pm

Announced and discussed here back in April:

Change in points redemption value: BS/AT/WGA all 78/dollar = 8% devaluation for WGA

As part of the change, the floor for WGA was supposed to be raised to 76/$1, but I'm still seeing occasional conversions for 72/$1.

Since the only time you would ever use points for an AT or BS fares is when WGA isn't available, my thinking was that we would see an increase in that happening. Anecdotally I believe that to be true.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
Use RR points for SWA giftcards...then counts as revenue and status for next year....sure you lose 0.3 cents per point....but when you factor in the points earn you get from the revenue ticket...its about a net 2400 points add to any ticket to go through this route...but it counts to status for CP/Alist....so its not bad to help get status for the current year....
Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by isaac.chambers
Use RR points for SWA giftcards...then counts as revenue and status for next year....sure you lose 0.3 cents per point....but when you factor in the points earn you get from the revenue ticket...its about a net 2400 points add to any ticket to go through this route...but it counts to status for CP/Alist....so its not bad to help get status for the current year....

Sorry - this is for earning as an Alist preferred member....double points for revenue tickets.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by isaac.chambers
Sorry - this is for earning as an Alist preferred member....double points for revenue tickets.
Thanks for the tip. ^ Most years I worry about renewing my status if I spend too many of the points I've accumulated on awards tickets rather than paying cash. This approach will enable me to spend points rather than cash-out-of-pocket while still earning points for status.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:51 pm

Sorry - you also need to be RR CC holder to get the cheaper WN gift card at 1 cent per point value.....
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:47 pm

One other important consideration for the above: If you use points to book AT or BS fares, they are fully refundable (in the way that all points bookings are), but all bookings made with a gift card, including AT/BS fares, are non-refundable. If you cancel you receive travel funds, which are locked in use to the original passenger, and expire one year from the date of purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.