Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free messaging coming in October

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:25 pm

Used it tonight SJC-SAN. Was just poking around and BAM. Worked for IMessage and google hangouts. Flew on New Mexico One also.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:27 pm

I was able to send and receive picture messages on my flight tonight. Love the free messaging!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:24 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Are you seeing the inability to "A-List" or just plain INOP WiFi? It seems like lately 20-30% of the flights this year I either don't have a signal, or the signal goes nowhere.
The login is often broken but services not requiring logon, including paid access, still work.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by steved5480
No it will not. Plain vanilla SMS texting. No voice, No pictures/No MMS.

Texting. That's all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3a5BsmxNJ0

That’s a bummer - but it is free afterall
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by steved5480
No it will not. Plain vanilla SMS texting. No voice, No pictures/No MMS.

Texting. That's all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3a5BsmxNJ0
I thought iMessage could send pictures? At least it does on my iPhone 6s with iOS 10/11. Although I think if it's over a certain size it might make you switch to MMS/Texting.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Will be on Boeing 737 aircraft.
Could I please get a precise order of tail numbers and dates the service will be available? I need to know this before I book any more Southwest flights. NEED. Otherwise I fear I may be in the air for 75 minutes without access to Whatsapp, like I'm some prehistoric nomad or something.
nsx, steved5480 and Cledaybuck like this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by hurnik
I thought iMessage could send pictures? At least it does on my iPhone 6s with iOS 10/11. Although I think if it's over a certain size it might make you switch to MMS/Texting.
I posted above that picture messaging did work with the free messaging offered on WN flights. I was using iMessage.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Juanefny
I noticed the entertainment placard stated that free messaging is coming to select planes next month. Anyone know any more details?

I wouldn't call it free messaging. I would call it free app messaging, since it only works with certain messaging apps, not the normal messaging built into your phone.

Ie, since these messaging apps only work with people who have the same apps, you can't use them, for example, to receive airline / hotel / rental car notifications that come to your phone via normal text.

So they may be great for "fun" text, but IMHO they seem fairly useless for "business info" text.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DELETED

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 18, 2018 at 11:03 am Reason: accidental double post
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I wouldn't call it free messaging. I would call it free app messaging, since it only works with certain messaging apps, not the normal messaging built into your phone.
Given that iMessage is the only messaging app built into your phone if you have an iPhone (which is approximately 40% of the market in the U.S.), your statement is not really correct as this is "the normal messaging built into your phone" for a fairly substantial number of people.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by jspira
Given that iMessage is the only messaging app built into your phone if you have an iPhone (which is approximately 40% of the market in the U.S.), your statement is not really correct as this is "the normal messaging built into your phone" for a fairly substantial number of people.
Yup, I pretty much only choose friends that have iPhones. So I was able to text everybody I normally do on my flights last weekend :P
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
FWIW, I have Google Voice as my primary number, and can text anyone from an airplane (don't know if GV is supported in the "free" config, as I don't have to pay for WiFi).
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jspira
But for the majority of people with Android phones, it is true. That WhatsApp can only text to/from other WhatsApp users, no one else.

So Southwest's limitation to these two apps seems to be pro-iPhone and anti-Android, if you ask me.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, I have Google Voice as my primary number, and can text anyone from an airplane (don't know if GV is supported in the "free" config, as I don't have to pay for WiFi).
Does Google Voice also receive all texts that were sent to your phone number? (And, if so, do they then also show up in your normal Android text function when you get access to that once not in Airplane Mode?) Thanks.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:48 pm

I have had mixed success with Google Allo working as normal via airplane wifi (without purchasing the wifi). Works about 1/3 of the time. I was surprised tbe first time I received a message notification while in Airplane mode

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.