Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre - Board

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Amicus
Two questions:

(1) Is it WN that sets policy on HOW the law is applied?
(2) Is WN tasked with reporting their pre-board policy implementation with any one outside of WN?

Asking because of an experience last week.

Was once A+, but now I seldom fly. Was on a WN flight from MDW to LAS (home) There were 14 wheelchairs and 5 or 6 walk on pre-boarders (including me). At MDW, many gates clustered in one area, so limited seating space. Spouse asked OPS Agent where we should stand to wait, I am a walk on pre-board. He directed us to stand right there in front of his desk, as boarding was beginning in a few minutes.

This prompted yelling at us from several pre-boarders who shouted that they were there "first" and we were "cutting the line."
At that point, OPS Agent took our board passes and directed us to board.

When the others boarded, they continued to yell at us. We ignored them and looked at our shoes. Then, wheelchairs boarded next, and they were clearly irate, demanding to know WHY wheelchair pax weren't boarded FIRST.

Supervisor at gate called on plane and stayed on plane till everyone seated, and told Flight Attendant they were "documenting" this.

Then, during the flight, we continued to overhear the disgruntled pre-board folks, who insisted WN should have "made us get off the plane."

So, I'm wondering what, if anything the OPS agent did wrong. Do wheelchairs board first? And, was he required to let folks board 'first come, first served"?

IMO, the preboarders truly believed their "disability" (pins in their knee) trumped everyone else's disability, though none of us took a survey on our health.

I don't believe anything legally or in Southwest's policy requires any sort of order among the preboarding passengers.

I've frequently seen walk-on preboards boarded ahead of the wheel chairs, often when there are lots of un-assisted wheelchairs and no one available to help the OPS agent get them all down the jetway. As far as I know, this is left up to the discretion of the agent, and presumably is done to speed up boarding.

Sounds like, in your case, the agent should have done a better job of explaining this to the wheelchairs, and/or the wheelchairs didn't realize you were also preboards.

Or maybe they were just jerks.

You might want to let Southwest know about your experience, so that they can consider educating the OPS agent about better communication in these situations. For what it's worth.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:32 am

That's pretty amazing, line cutters complaining about being cut in front of.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
DId you yell at them when they ran off the plane at the destination? The wheelchairs should be loaded at the rear of the plane and let off after all others.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
So, I'm wondering what, if anything the OPS agent did wrong. Do wheelchairs board first? And, was he required to let folks board 'first come, first served"?
Pretty sure if you look at the regs that it does specify something to the effect that certain categories of disability do get to board first when the airline has open seating. That's to ensure that someone requiring a specific type of seat gets that type of seat. For example, someone who cannot bend their right leg gets an aisle seat on the left. WN own policy also states that those just needing extra time board after A group and before families. So if you just needed extra time, that's where the agent was wrong. And for those that do preboard nothing says what order, i.e. first come, first served. It's up to the agent.
Originally Posted by Blitzjb
DId you yell at them when they ran off the plane at the destination? The wheelchairs should be loaded at the rear of the plane and let off after all others.
Come back and let us know if you still feel the same way when you require a wheelchair. Aside from being illegal (or at the very least, against the regulations), your thought process is very ignorant and demeaning. That's not even including how long it would take to board if this was done. You'd have to use aisle chairs in some cases where they aren't needed if sitting at the front of the plane.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by ursine1
Or maybe they were just jerks.
Considering they were still making comments during the flight, I'd have to say, yeah, probably.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
We ignored them and looked at our shoes.
Christ- at least man up and look 'em in the eyes when you walk by 'em!
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Christ- at least man up and look 'em in the eyes when you walk by 'em!
No, they were walking by us since we boarded before them, at the direction of the OPS agent.

Looking at shoes is useful , their shouting directed at the tops of our heads.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
... they were walking by us ... their shouting directed at the tops of our heads.
I'll attribute this to "differences in personal taste", but to me nothing would have indicated "no <fornications> given" to their over-reaction than to look straight at 'em as they're "yelling" at you.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Yeak OK---- half of them run off the plane at the destination. Southwest runs miracle flights...The charade is no secret
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Yeak OK---- half of them run off the plane at the destination. Southwest runs miracle flights...The charade is no secret
Who said it was a secret? "Southwest runs miracle flights" is flippant at best. Just because some people abuse the preboarding, doesn't mean those that need it should suffer. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater is never the answer.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:59 am
Original Poster

And don't get me started on fake therapy dogs!
SCGustafson likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: Southwest Hilton Diamond
Since ditching crappy AA and DFW last June and moving over to SW and DAL I have probably flown 40-50 SW flights to various locations, mostly BOS & DCA, I have seen various iterations of preboarding. I only care about one thing when boarding and that is to be able to get a aisle seat somewhere on the plane, don't care where, and on every flight that has been possible. Since every seat on the SW flight has virtually the same legroom as a Main Cabin Extra on AA I am happy with that. After 14 years of flying exclusively AA and getting screwed over far too many times there is virtually nothing SW has done in the last 15 months that can upset me. Never been late, never missed a connection, never an issue. I think the OP may be a bit spoiled by the quality service they get from SW........just sayin.......
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Pre Board question

When over 50% of the plane is on the pre-board line, is it still called pre=boarding? You know the kids that just walked for hours
around Disney, but need extra time to get on the plane...and the women that ran from the restroom to make sure she does not miss the pre-board...
Old May 1, 2019, 5:56 am

Maybe it was family boarding people lining up or did they all preboard?
Old May 1, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: WN A+, CP, HH Diamond, National EE
When over 50% of the plane is on the pre-board line, is it still called pre=boarding?
Yes. Yes it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.