Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long has WN been using SJC Terminal A?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Came into SJC from MDW yesterday on 6208 and sure enough we passed several empty B gates in favor of parking at gate 12. Quite an inconvenient haul. The walk from 12 to the T-B baggage claim almost rivals walking DTW’s North Terminal from end to end!
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Yeah, returning from PDX on WN4161 yesterday we'd ended up in Terminal A; luckily this time I only had carryons so I went to the Uber pickup on the A-side. But if WN is going to have flights come out of Terminal A regularly the least they could do is have bags come out there too.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

OK, Gary- cut it out- this shiz ain't funny anymore! 3 of my last 4 flights have either arrived or departed A-12, all the while as I pass empty gates in B. I'm all for exercise, but damn already
jasonvr and chuckworth like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Yup, another gate 12 victim this week here as well

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
the least they could do is have bags come out there too.
While the walk my be longer...bags will still not be out when you finally arrive at B Baggage claim!
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I'm at SJC Gate A12 right now awaiting a flight to SEA. WN has a bag-sizer at the gate as well as a full set of their line-number posts, so this looks like a long term arrangement, not some "Uh-oh, we need to divert to a different gate because our usual ones are all blocked" situation.

I wish I'd checked for my gate number before arriving at the airport.... I could have entered through Terminal A and saved myself a lot of walking!
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:59 am

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
I've seen countless times pax rushing to customer service counters and then being told they have to go to Gate 12 from... Gate 24... a long walk.

A few years ago, I beleive SWA lost one gate (18), which was converted to international ready. And I thought I had it bad... most of my flights to Burbank depart from gates 19/20.

I can't imagine SWA using Terminal A back in the day,. Many of the gate areas are odd shapes, with shops encroaching into the seating area, and then having to do the boarding position poles as well. talk about cramped.

Last edited by DataJunkie; Oct 9, 2018 at 1:11 am
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
I think SJC Gate 12 is my new least favorite gate in the WN system. Took the honors away from MDW A4A/B, which had been a least favorite for years (especially before the addition of the waiting area/restrooms a few years back).
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by chuckworth
I think SJC Gate 12 is my new least favorite gate in the WN system. Took the honors away from MDW A4A/B, which had been a least favorite for years (especially before the addition of the waiting area/restrooms a few years back).
SAN Gate 1A is the worst.
ryw and kennycrudup like this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Troopers
SAN Gate 1A is the worst.
+1 on that. The WN terminal at SAN is not only a pit in general but Gate 1A is like being in the pit's penalty box. At least with SJC Gate 12 you're in a real concourse, with access to real food and shopping without leaving the secure zone, and you can also walk to any other WN gate without leaving the secure zone.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
+1 on that. ... [and] Gate 1A is like being in the pit's penalty box.
... and "fake Pre-Check" to boot (laptops still come out of the bag, and you're in the same WMD line as the SeaWorld kettles infrequent-flyer tourists who take forever figuring this whole "airline security" thing out).
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:07 am
Original Poster

UGGGGGGGGH ... at least today I'm carrying on, so I'll just enter thru Terminal A
chuckworth likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:10 am
Original Poster

My PDX flight is leaving out of A-13 ... and I just realized the connnection to the just-announced SJC expansion.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Originally Posted by chuckworth
Worse than A4A before the upgrades? One time I had a long layover so I went to check it out, I felt lucky I wasn't flying out of there and I could just leave. I've flown out of Concourse C back when Frontier flew from MDW but A4A took the cake.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
I've seen countless times pax rushing to customer service counters and then being told they have to go to Gate 12 from... Gate 24... a long walk.

A few years ago, I beleive SWA lost one gate (18), which was converted to international ready. And I thought I had it bad... most of my flights to Burbank depart from gates 19/20.

I can't imagine SWA using Terminal A back in the day,. Many of the gate areas are odd shapes, with shops encroaching into the seating area, and then having to do the boarding position poles as well. talk about cramped.
Terminal A was designed as a commuter terminal for PSA and Air-cal but by the time it opened it was AA and US
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:22 pm

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
I finally had the honor of flying out of Gate 12. It was pretty convenient because it is right outside the Terminal A checkpoint. I suppose most do not check the gate before they arrive though, and end up walking and walking to get to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.