Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Tour of 10 cities promotes new RR Priority CC; up to 65K bonus, $149 fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tour of 10 cities promotes new RR Priority CC; up to 65K bonus, $149 fee

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:10 am

I have a few questions:

if i am able to “upgrade” to this card, is that still re-applying for the card and do you still get the 40000 + 25000 plus an additional 5000? Or is an upgrade just the 5000 and they change your card?

i have a personal plus card that was opened around May 2016. First purchase was 5/17/16 for $2001 which was enough for the bonus back then. The terms of the new card say no bonus to anybody for 24 months. Is it 24 months of card opening, 24 months of statement turnover to get the bonus or 24 months of when the RR bonus points posted to my account? I should be eligible for this but don’t want to screw it up by being off a few days.

finally I noticed this card gives you 1500 TQP per $10000 spent up to 100k. I spend over 200k pet year for my business purchases. If I run this card to 100k, and another busonsss SW card I have to 100k is that 30,000 TQP? So I just need 5000 TQP for a list?

TIA
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:54 am

A few more questions about the perks here, based on this comment in the article posted upthread: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...comment-619273

The comment cites a CSR saying that "the $75 credit could be used for the four upgrades or other inflight purchases." -- should we take that to mean it can only be used on those things? IOW, could it be used for regular ticket purchases instead, or not?

Secondly, comment notes that "The card does not offer four free upgrades AND the $75 credit, not as good of a deal as originally thought." -- anyone have an idea about how this decision gets made? Since it's an automatic credit, I'm assuming it gets applied to your first purchases that would be applicable -- so for example, if you buy upgrades to existing tickets, that would count towards your 75 (and/or your upgrades), but perhaps depending on #1 above, if you buy a ticket first, it gets applied towards that?...
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by hbouta
A few more questions about the perks here, based on this comment in the article posted upthread: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...comment-619273

The comment cites a CSR saying that "the $75 credit could be used for the four upgrades or other inflight purchases." -- should we take that to mean it can only be used on those things? IOW, could it be used for regular ticket purchases instead, or not?

Secondly, comment notes that "The card does not offer four free upgrades AND the $75 credit, not as good of a deal as originally thought." -- anyone have an idea about how this decision gets made? Since it's an automatic credit, I'm assuming it gets applied to your first purchases that would be applicable -- so for example, if you buy upgrades to existing tickets, that would count towards your 75 (and/or your upgrades), but perhaps depending on #1 above, if you buy a ticket first, it gets applied towards that?...
This info Is clearly wrong, unless the team of attorneys drafting the terms and conditions messed it up. My guess is the CsR was not properly trained. The 75$ specifically excludes upgraded boarding (which you get 4 of, and cost 30-50 a piece).

The terms:

$75 Southwest Annual Travel Credit: A statement credit will automatically be applied to your account when your Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® Priority Card is used for purchases (excluding Upgraded Boardings and inflight purchases), up to an anniversary year maximum accumulation of $75. Anniversary year means the year beginning with your account open date through the first statement date after your account open date anniversary, and the 12 monthly billing cycles after that each year. Eligibility for a $75 Southwest Annual Travel Credit for accounts that switch to this product: Account open date is the date the switch is official in the Chase system. Statement credit(s) will post to your account the same day your Southwest Airlines purchase posts to your account and will appear on your monthly credit card billing statement within 1-2 billing cycles. The $75 Southwest Annual Travel Credit will be issued for the year in which the transaction posts to your account. For example, if you buy a Southwest Airlines ticket, but the airline does not post the transaction until after your current anniversary period ends, the cost of the ticket will be allocated towards the following year’s Southwest Annual Travel Credit maximum of $75.

Southwest Upgraded Boardings: Each anniversary year you will be reimbursed for the purchase of up to 4 Upgraded Boardings which are positions A1-A15. Upgraded Boardings may be purchased at the departure gate or ticket counter on the day of travel only, when available. Price of Upgraded Boardings is based on your itinerary. Anniversary year means the year beginning with your account open date through the first statement date after your account open date anniversary, and the 12 monthly billing cycles after that each year. Eligibility for Upgraded Boardings for accounts that switch to this product: Account open date is the date the switch is official in the Chase system. After you make your purchase with your Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Card, you will receive a statement credit for the price of the Upgraded Boardings. Statement credit and purchase of Upgraded Boardings may not post on the same statement; please allow up to 8 weeks for the statement credit(s) to post to your account. You may purchase all 4 Upgraded Boardings at one time or on separate flights; you will only be reimbursed via statement credit for the first four Upgraded Boardings you purchase during your anniversary year. Account must be open and not in default at the time the statement credit is posted to your account.

ursine1 and roundtree like this.

Last edited by colvin84; Jul 20, 2018 at 9:13 am
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by ftnoob
Doesn't seem possible, but you can go to https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewards/swa31 to enter your information then see your offer.
Anyone else get this or is it just me?

Thank You

We are sorry. We are unable to process your request at this time.
For further assistance, please call the number on the back of your card.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
Anyone else get this or is it just me?

Thank You

We are sorry. We are unable to process your request at this time.
For further assistance, please call the number on the back of your card.
Yes. I called the number on the back of the card and they seemed aware of the problem. The upgrade took just a couple of minutes by phone.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Shombolar
Yes. I called the number on the back of the card and they seemed aware of the problem. The upgrade took just a couple of minutes by phone.
I don’t have my card with me. What is the number to call? I was getting the same message
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:15 pm

I was able to Google the number. Unfortunately, the representative told me that I am not eligible to upgrade at all. She said you have to have the card for at least a year before it can be upgraded
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by ave1024
I have a few questions:

if i am able to “upgrade” to this card, is that still re-applying for the card and do you still get the 40000 + 25000 plus an additional 5000? Or is an upgrade just the 5000 and they change your card?

i have a personal plus card that was opened around May 2016. First purchase was 5/17/16 for $2001 which was enough for the bonus back then. The terms of the new card say no bonus to anybody for 24 months. Is it 24 months of card opening, 24 months of statement turnover to get the bonus or 24 months of when the RR bonus points posted to my account? I should be eligible for this but don’t want to screw it up by being off a few days.

finally I noticed this card gives you 1500 TQP per $10000 spent up to 100k. I spend over 200k pet year for my business purchases. If I run this card to 100k, and another busonsss SW card I have to 100k is that 30,000 TQP? So I just need 5000 TQP for a list?

TIA
If you upgrade your card, all you get is the 5k points. I talked to a CSR this morning and if you upgrade it's not considered a re-apply, basically your line of credit will be transferred to the new card. If you want the 65k you have to cancel your current SW card and wait for it to show closed on your Credit Report, before applying for the new card.

I went ahead and cancelled mine, but just realized I've only had this card since Nov of 2016. So I have the same question as you as to the 24 month cool off period. I got the card in Nov 2016, but got my bonus points on my Jan 17 statement when I met the spend. I would like to know which metric Chase uses so I don't apply for the new card too soon...

Update: Chase re-opened my card, no use in cancelling until I'm eligible for a new sign up bonus.

Last edited by tstad; Jul 20, 2018 at 12:34 pm
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by tstad
If you upgrade your card, all you get is the 5k points. I talked to a CSR this morning and if you upgrade it's not considered a re-apply, basically your line of credit will be transferred to the new card. If you want the 65k you have to cancel your current SW card and wait for it to show closed on your Credit Report, before applying for the new card.

I went ahead and cancelled mine, but just realized I've only had this card since Nov of 2016. So I have the same question as you as to the 24 month cool off period. I got the card in Nov 2016, but got my bonus points on my Jan 17 statement when I met the spend. I would like to know which metric Chase uses so I don't apply for the new card too soon...

If you are fine on 5/24 and haven't received a SW promo in over 2 years can't you just apply for the card if you already have a personal card or do they no longer allow that? Maybe if you apply and get the "we are reviewing your application" call them speak to the credit analyst and ask them to open this card in lieu of closing the other personal card? Sometimes credit analysts will also move some or all of the credit line over if you are closing a card.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tjh8402
I was able to Google the number. Unfortunately, the representative told me that I am not eligible to upgrade at all. She said you have to have the card for at least a year before it can be upgraded
That restriction is due to Federal regulations. The card issuer is prohibited by law from changing the terms of your card less frequently than every 12 months. Hence, the waiting game...
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by roundtree
That restriction is due to Federal regulations. The card issuer is prohibited by law from changing the terms of your card less frequently than every 12 months. Hence, the waiting game...
That’s frustrating but oh well. The 50k points I got as a sign up bonus were still worth more than the perks on the new card.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by roundtree
I got my card a year ago. My current statement has the $69 annual fee. Due mid August. So I guess my card can be upgraded? Should I wait anyway and cancel in a year and apply for this new card?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 4:17 pm

How long do points normally take to post to my RR account? The fine print says to allow up to 8 weeks. I'm afraid that they will credit 40k in 2018 and the 25k bonus in 2019. I put all my spend on credit cards then pay them off, so I shouldn't have a problem hitting the bonus threshold in a few months. But I want the companion pass obviously, and don't want to finish 2018 just short, and start 2019 with just 25k. Thanks!
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by GreenPlastic
How long do points normally take to post to my RR account? The fine print says to allow up to 8 weeks. I'm afraid that they will credit 40k in 2018 and the 25k bonus in 2019. I put all my spend on credit cards then pay them off, so I shouldn't have a problem hitting the bonus threshold in a few months. But I want the companion pass obviously, and don't want to finish 2018 just short, and start 2019 with just 25k. Thanks!
Within 3 days of your stmt closing in which you meet your min. spend. Charges made within 5-6 days of closing date may not post until the following stmt so be careful.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by ave1024
I have a few questions:

TIA
Originally Posted by tstad

Update: Chase re-opened my card, no use in cancelling until I'm eligible for a new sign up bonus.

The 24 month period is from when the bonus posts to your Southwest account.

Chase does not approve cards and deny the bonus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.