Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Tour of 10 cities promotes new RR Priority CC; up to 65K bonus, $149 fee

Tour of 10 cities promotes new RR Priority CC; up to 65K bonus, $149 fee

Reply

Old Jul 19, 18, 8:06 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicagoland, IL, USA
Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 13,159
Tour of 10 cities promotes new RR Priority CC; up to 65K bonus, $149 fee

toomanybooks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 18, 8:28 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dallas, TX USA
Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Posts: 1,246
I signed up but can't tell when hey will be in Dallas
john398 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 18, 8:56 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,065
Looks like: July 21, 4 – 8:30 pm, Globe Life Park

Nothing near me, or any overlap with our upcoming travel. Ah, well.
john398 likes this.
synergistic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 18, 9:10 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dallas, TX USA
Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Posts: 1,246
Originally Posted by synergistic View Post
Looks like: July 21, 4 – 8:30 pm, Globe Life Park

Nothing near me, or any overlap with our upcoming travel. Ah, well.
Thanks, although I probably be at Mesquite Rodeo Saturday for $1 hot dog night
john398 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 18, 9:34 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,413
New Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card: up to 65k bonus, $149 fee

Earn up to 65,000 points.* Plus perks on perks on perks.

  • 7,500 anniversary points
  • 4 Upgraded Boardings** per year
  • $75 Southwest® annual travel credit
  • 20% back on inflight purchases
*Offer ends 8/22/18.
**When available.
$149 annual fee.


https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/sou...Dual?CELL=653G
ursine1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 18, 10:15 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 10
Seems like a no brainer if the 75$ can be used to order a SW gift card. Whose going to be first data point? Gift card not listed as exclusion, but inflight and boarding are (which can buy with GC).


I have the premier and was offered 5k points to upgrade. Makes my decision easy. I actually keep my SW premier card and find value in the anniversary points to justify keeping in a least one primary account holders name. They don’t advertise, but intermittently send coupons for free alcoholic drinks as an added perk.

Last edited by colvin84; Jul 19, 18 at 10:21 am
colvin84 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 18, 10:17 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Central US
Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Posts: 207
The new card sounded interesting until I read the fine print that neither the 40,000 initial bonus points nor the 25,000 later bonus points would be awarded to holders of any current SWA credit cards. It might still be worth a second look, but I'll probably wait and see if any less restrictive bonus offers come along.
screeton is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 18, 10:23 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicagoland, IL, USA
Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 13,159
Originally Posted by screeton View Post
The new card sounded interesting until I read the fine print that neither the 40,000 initial bonus points nor the 25,000 later bonus points would be awarded to holders of any current SWA credit cards. It might still be worth a second look, but I'll probably wait and see if any less restrictive bonus offers come along.
Holders of business CCs are ok:

The product is not available to either (i) current Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapids Rewards® Credit Card, or (ii) previous Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card who received a new Cardmember bonus within the last 24 months. This does not apply to Cardmembers of the Southwest Rapid Rewards Business Card and Employee Credit Card products.
toomanybooks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 18, 10:52 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicagoland, IL, USA
Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 13,159
Originally Posted by ursine1 View Post
  • 20% back on inflight purchases
Too bad you cannot buy WN GCs onboard.
toomanybooks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 18, 11:13 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: WN A-list and CP, AA Gold, Kimpton IC (RIP) Hertz PC
Posts: 801
Originally Posted by colvin84 View Post
Seems like a no brainer if the 75$ can be used to order a SW gift card. Whose going to be first data point? Gift card not listed as exclusion, but inflight and boarding are (which can buy with GC).


I have the premier and was offered 5k points to upgrade. Makes my decision easy. I actually keep my SW premier card and find value in the anniversary points to justify keeping in a least one primary account holders name. They don’t advertise, but intermittently send coupons for free alcoholic drinks as an added perk.
What's the incentive for the $75 bill credit to apply against gift card purchases as opposed to purchased flights? I would doubt it would apply against point purchases as those are processed by points.com.
mctrees02 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 18, 11:18 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 10
Originally Posted by mctrees02 View Post
What's the incentive for the $75 bill credit to apply against gift card purchases as opposed to purchased flights? I would doubt it would apply against point purchases as those are processed by points.com.

For me, its the ability to control when i spend the money. This year in particular, i already have the only SW flight i plan on taking booked. I can save the gift card for a future flight. Also, i typically pay in full by points and use SW gift cards for the taxes and fees.
colvin84 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 18, 11:24 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 105
So if I spend $75 a year on Southwest tickets and buy 4 upgraded boardings at the gate every year, that plus the anniversary points means the card more than pays for itself? I just got the sign-up bonus on the RR card back in March, so it would be two years before I would be eligible to get a sign up bonus on this card. However, with my flying pattern, it seems like this would be a worthwhile upgrade to look into, am I correct?
tjh8402 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 18, 11:25 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 22
I got the invite to upgrade to this card this morning in my email (with the 5K points incentive).

I have the Premier card, but I'm not A-List, so I always add the extra $30 for Early Bird r/t. It usually gets me anywhere from A20-50.

Upgrading to the Priority could mean A1-15 position, but the way I read the benefit is that you won't know until you're at the airport and they know whether there are seats available in those positions, which could be stressful if you check in manually and still find yourself with a boarding position you don't like.

That's the big — and possibly only — downside to upgrading.
Shombolar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 18, 11:30 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 105
Originally Posted by Shombolar View Post
I got the invite to upgrade to this card this morning in my email (with the 5K points incentive).

I have the Premier card, but I'm not A-List, so I always add the extra $30 for Early Bird r/t. It usually gets me anywhere from A20-50.

Upgrading to the Priority could mean A1-15 position, but the way I read the benefit is that you won't know until you're at the airport and they know whether there are seats available in those positions, which could be stressful if you check in manually and still find yourself with a boarding position you don't like.

That's the big — and possibly only — downside to upgrading.
yes, you won’t know until you get to the gate if the upgraded boarding is available. However, in my experience over the last few years, I’ve never had a flight where that I wasn’t available. That’s one of the reasons I am inclined to think the car may be worth it to me. I think I easily spend more than that annual fee on the upgraded boardings every year.
Shombolar likes this.
tjh8402 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 18, 11:39 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 10
Originally Posted by tjh8402 View Post
So if I spend $75 a year on Southwest tickets and buy 4 upgraded boardings at the gate every year, that plus the anniversary points means the card more than pays for itself? I just got the sign-up bonus on the RR card back in March, so it would be two years before I would be eligible to get a sign up bonus on this card. However, with my flying pattern, it seems like this would be a worthwhile upgrade to look into, am I correct?
Absolutely. I would call in and see if they will let you upgrade (or you can wait until eligible). 7500 annual RR points is worth $127.50 (valued at 1.7c per point) + 75$ credit + 4 upgraded boarding. Card more than pays for itself. I was offered 5k RR to upgrade and initiated the request.

Last edited by colvin84; Jul 19, 18 at 11:55 am
colvin84 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread