Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding with Toddler at My Number

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP75K, Marriott Platinum, National EE
Boarding with Toddler at My Number

I am about to hit companion pass and will likely be bringing my 18 month old with me on a few trips as my companion. If it is just he and I, and he has his own seat/number, will I catch flak for carrying him and boarding at my position instead of waiting for family boarding?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:04 pm

Maybe.

It completely depends on the OPs agent and whether they enforce the rule as written or use a more common-sense approach.

Hope for the latter but be prepared for the former.

Good luck.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Technically...yes. Practically...doubt it.

My take...as long as you are carrying the child you likely won't get any flack as he just as easily qualifies as a lap child that can board whenever with parent.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:04 pm

No one ever seemed to care when I did this with my tiny human.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:00 pm

If there's a purchased seat then there's a boarding pass with an assigned position.

I've heard stories of rule enforcement.

One hopes they are the exception.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:55 pm

Is it that big of a deal to just board between the A and B group and not try to break the rules? If you want to board together buy two EBCIs.

I have a three year old and I would never try to do this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
18 month is old enough to board on his own. Let him stay in line and board himself.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ave1024
Is it that big of a deal to just board between the A and B group and not try to break the rules? If you want to board together buy two EBCIs.

How do you buy EBCI if you are A or A+ as the OP appears to be? And because he can't buy EBCI even if he wanted to, that means that someone who is not A/A+ could buy EBCI and could be ahead of the OP. So OP gets punished for being too good of a customer. Rules are meant to be broken. Especially when it particularly annoys people who get too hung up on illogical rules.

Presuming that you and your 3yo sit together in aisle/middle or middle/window, your suggesting that at most 44 people have been in some way hurt by someone boarding with their kid. I would bet that most or all of those 44 don't want a middle seat. If they do it's probably because they are with a companion or companions and want 2 or 3 seats together. The 3 seats aren't a factor but the 2 could be however barring a ton of through passengers, they'll be plenty of open pairs of seats.

Last edited by justhere; Jun 21, 2018 at 10:27 pm
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:30 am

And there it is.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Assuming you are willing to have him in a middle seat, there is literally no way I can envision that you will have a problem, no matter when you board.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by dabeags
I am about to hit companion pass and will likely be bringing my 18 month old with me on a few trips as my companion. If it is just he and I, and he has his own seat/number, will I catch flak for carrying him and boarding at my position instead of waiting for family boarding?
At least 3 ways to do this:

1) Check both you and him in. Board at the point of the earlier boarding number.
2) Check both you and him in. Board at the point of the later boarding number
3) Sit during family seating between A and B.

If you check in you and your child, and you get A27 and he gets A47, line up at A47 (Option 2). If you get A27 and he gets B47, sit after A60 (Option 3). Either way, you'll both get good seating opportunities without anyone trying to make Option 1 an issue.
Collierkr likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PAX62
Technically...yes. Practically...doubt it.

My take...as long as you are carrying the child you likely won't get any flack as he just as easily qualifies as a lap child that can board whenever with parent.
Ok, that is pretty much how I figured it would be. I'll just board with him at my A position and if I catch flak will give the gate agent an incredulous look and board with families between A/B. It also irks me that companions on the same reservation as an A+ don't get sequential boarding numbers, so this is a bit of a chance for me to stick it to the man.

Practically, EBCI is generally obsolete when you can utilize family boarding.

And it isn't a huge deal, just a policy I would find silly. I generally fly business select fares, so being able to have my 18 month old board with me and sit in the first few rows means we will be off the plane ASAP, which is good for everyone on the plane. Often when I book an Anytime T-24 and board between A/B, I have to go at least 13 or 14 rows back to find an open aisle/window seat. I also like to be on and seated with him early as it allows my row mate to self select sitting with a toddler. That way I don't wind up with some fussy non parent unhappy with my Toddler's madness.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I would hope common sense applies and you would have no issues. Otherwise I would board as a lap baby then give the BP to a FA once on board and say "sorry, I forgot"
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
If you buy a ticket but don't scan it, pretending you have a lap child, you will cause problems for the staff because the head count will be off. That's being selfish.

Skip the ticket entirely and board at your position yourself with a lap child... or board at the higher number or during family boarding, whichever is sooner.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
I would hope common sense applies and you would have no issues. Otherwise I would board as a lap baby then give the BP to a FA once on board and say "sorry, I forgot"
I'm fairly certain that the lap infant has a boarding pass that needs to be scanned or manually entered by the agent, so trying to pass him off as a lap infant is a no go. And yes, I think for most gate agents, common sense will win out and there will be no issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.