Wiki Posts
Search

Flying on a 300?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Flying on a 300?

Yesterday, my wife and I flew from CMH to DAL. I've been A list + for many years, so I fly way too much. While waiting in the gate area, I was shocked to see a plane land with the old livery, gold, yellow and red. I pointed that out to my wife. She said, "I'm not flying on that antique!"

Turns out that there are two planes in the fleet that still have the old colors, each one in homage to Herb or Colleen. The tail number reflects which plane is for who. They are both 700s I believe.

Yesterday, we flew home on tail # 714CB. It was Colleen's plane.

They still have a terrific corporate culture.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by mile ho
Yesterday, my wife and I flew from CMH to DAL. I've been A list + for many years, so I fly way too much. While waiting in the gate area, I was shocked to see a plane land with the old livery, gold, yellow and red. I pointed that out to my wife. She said, "I'm not flying on that antique!"

Turns out that there are two planes in the fleet that still have the old colors, each one in homage to Herb or Colleen. The tail number reflects which plane is for who. They are both 700s I believe.

All the 300's are gone. Yes, the retro liveries are on 700's and I believe there are three of them.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Can not confirm the accuracy of this post - but the oldest variant they are flying are the 700's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Airlines#Fleet
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
It was definitely a 700. I believe there are only two planes left with the old paint scheme and they are dedicated one to Herb and the other to Colleen. You can tell by the tail numbers. 714CB for Colleen and I would guess the one for Herb ends in HK,
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I would guess the one for Herb ends in HK,
711HK is Herb's plane.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA

Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:38 am

She said, "I'm not flying on that antique!"
So...would you have boarded and left her?
tusphotog likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold

There's a lot more to corporate culture than a subtle recognition of the founders. I'd rather they do something about the malcontent CSAs at DAL...
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
-300's have been retired since last year when they got the MAX 8's. N714CB and N711HK , both -700's retain the "classic retro" colors. Not old planes.

Originally Posted by captaink

There's a lot more to corporate culture than a subtle recognition of the founders. I'd rather they do something about the malcontent CSAs at DAL...
You've obviously never flown United before.
steved5480 and kennycrudup like this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
There used to be three in the classic colors but N792SW has since been repainted into the heart colors.

IIRC N792SW's significance is that it was the final aircraft delivered in the original scheme before they switched over to the canyon blue.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by alggag
There used to be three in the classic colors but N792SW has since been repainted into the heart colors.

IIRC N792SW's significance is that it was the final aircraft delivered in the original scheme before they switched over to the canyon blue.
Concurrent with the new paint job, the N792SW number was changed to one using the new numbering convention. Even if N714CB and N711HK remain in their original tan colors, they too will get the new numbering scheme applied to them. Then again, they were both among the earliest -700 deliveies from the late 1990s, so it's also conceivable that they could retire these two (when it's time) and replace them with new MAXs that use the old tan colors..
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Is there a reason why they didn't fully recreate the classic schemes? The two retro planes have metallic paint, lack the white window outlines, and don't have the black anti glare nose paint. It makes the retro planes look strangely off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.