Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

New policy? Carry your boarding pass on board...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New policy? Carry your boarding pass on board...

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 1:41 pm

Can a correlation be made between those who use paper boarding passes, and those who put two spaces after a period (.) instead of one between sentences?
Old May 30, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by tatterdema
I can say I do not understand the people that try to print their boarding pass at home, or in a hotel. Most every airport I frequent have multiple kiosks right inside the door that can print your pass. I cannot remember ever having to wait to use them. I always use these kiosks to see if a better seat has become available anyway, although that does not apply with WN of course.

I often travel with older, foreign passengers who don't have phones with service in the US, as well as their kids who certainly won't have phones if their own Spent an hour at the hotel business center printing 25x passes for my group on a trip last year. So to your point, paper passes still have their uses.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by xobile
I often travel with older, foreign passengers who don't have phones with service in the US, as well as their kids who certainly won't have phones if their own Spent an hour at the hotel business center printing 25x passes for my group on a trip last year. So to your point, paper passes still have their uses.
I was not suggesting using phones, I was saying print them at the kiosk at the airport.
Old May 31, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: EY
Ok fair enough. Even then I can understand I can understand why some people, such as myself would want to print out at home instead of the airport. You want to check in and confirm everything, and have something in hand so that you are prepared if there is a long line at the kiosks or the kiosks are down. If traveling with a large group, you may not wish to hold up everyone while printing. I mostly travel WN but on the times I've traveled UA with a similar group the idea has been the same.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by dlaue
Instead they will reside in seat back pockets for several more flights, then into trash collected by flight attendants. Not recycled, as on the ground.

Sign me,

Unembarrassed paper boarding pass user (based on real experience and on impatience watching electronic passes slowing down the boarding process)
as someone that flies on a different airline 99 percent of the time and use electronic boarding 100 percent of the time, the slow scanning of the app based electronic boarding pass is the result of the scanner being mounted above the phone while allowing the phone to move in the customers hand and fhe poor layout of boarding pass qr code (too small)
i am unappolegic for slowing down the line as hopefully southwest will get the hint to get scanners that scan upwards

this does not occur with other airlines that i fly on. This is what happens when you deploy starbucks barcode scanners
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by xobile
Ok fair enough. Even then I can understand I can understand why some people, such as myself would want to print out at home instead of the airport. You want to check in and confirm everything, and have something in hand so that you are prepared if there is a long line at the kiosks or the kiosks are down. If traveling with a large group, you may not wish to hold up everyone while printing. I mostly travel WN but on the times I've traveled UA with a similar group the idea has been the same.
Lol, I don't have a printer at home, and no app on smart phone. If the kiosks go down, I am in trouble. I get it though. I try to remember to print my boarding pass at work before I leave, and keep it will all my travel documents, my hotel and car reservations, etc, but forget more often than not as the days go by.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:35 am
Suspended

I like to print it before hand, if I am at the office. Why not? Another thing I don't have to do at the airport. But if I don't or if I am going out on a Monday, I will print at the kiosk. I like having the PAPER pass because it is easier to use than the phone one. But I also download the phone one as a backup, just in case I lose the paper one. I suggest people who prefer phones also get a paper one as back up in case you lose the phone, or your battery dies, or your phone suddenly breaks down.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by phatcow
... as hopefully WN will get the hint to get scanners that scan upwards
I've seen it at a couple of airports, but for the life of me I can't recall which (PDX, and SNA, I think). But yeah, the scan rate at the TSA TDC is 100% and instantaneous, surprised that's not a standard aviation-wide.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I've seen it at a couple of airports, but for the life of me I can't recall which (PDX, and SNA, I think). But yeah, the scan rate at the TSA TDC is 100% and instantaneous, surprised that's not a standard aviation-wide.
TSA scanners are no longer used at LAX, at least in the pre-check line. You just hand your driver's license to the screener who inserts it into a magnetic reader and, viola!, you are screened. No need for a boarding pass.

First saw this a few nights ago.

Was implemented within the last 10 days.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:34 pm

... and what's the backup plan for people w/o a DL (i.e., kids) and folks like me who use their Global Entry card (lose your DL once, twice shy).
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
... and what's the backup plan for people w/o a DL (i.e., kids) and folks like me who use their Global Entry card (lose your DL once, twice shy).
Scanner is still available, I reckon....although I did not take note of it.

I will look next week.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:47 pm

Boy, did this get off topic a looooong time ago!
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:30 am

ATL-MCO today with a paper boarding pass. Held up at the TSA pre-check line by someone who couldn’t get their phone to work, and then held up again boarding by someone who couldn’t get their phone to work.

side note: FA just made us take out the safety info pamphlet in the emergency row, never seen that before
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:32 am

"Held up"? Hrmph. A quick "'scuse me" as you move past them works wonders.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Held up"? Hrmph. A quick "'scuse me" as you move past them works wonders.
Can't do that at the scanner.
But I see a lot of people who use ebp's wearing those old fashioned clock bracelets. What's up with that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.