Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

New policy? Carry your boarding pass on board...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New policy? Carry your boarding pass on board...

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2018, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
QR codes as a marketing vehicle basically failed.
With little crossover impact on boarding passes. QR codes are universal.

GooglePay now supports boarding passes and event tickets; Southwest being an initial partner.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
With little crossover impact on boarding passes. QR codes are universal.
Yes. That was the whole point of the rest of my post (that you didn't quote).
Old May 12, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by LegalTender
GooglePay now supports boarding passes and event tickets; Southwest being an initial partner.
Yeah, I noticed that last week ... which now alleviates the "no signal/login issues" complaints of some here too.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:41 pm

It definitely makes it more streamlined for Android users (ala Wallet on Apple), and will help those with auto-rotate/brightness "issues," but previously it wasn't exactly difficult to take a screenshot.
Old May 12, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I find this discussion fascinating.

I use both technologies, not just on WN but on DL and AA. I'm frequently checking a bag on WN so printing the BP at bag drop is easy. And at MDW there's two kiosks right next to TSA PreCheck. But out of smaller airports with no checked bags, I'll just use the app.

If I have a paper WN boarding pass, I can store my turned-off phone in my backpack with a battery and USB before I board, instead of after I board. I find that convenient, since I store nothing under the seat in front of me.
Old May 12, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
... turned-off phone ...
I'm really seeing the demographic line drawn in this thread, IMO.
Old May 12, 2018, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Yeah, I noticed that last week ... which now alleviates the "no signal/login issues" complaints of some here too.
I've noticed that on my last couple flights, too.

Before that, there was already a quick and easy option for saving boarding passes. I always had the save-to-photos icon when I'd view a boarding pass in the Android app or on the mobile site (on my Android phone). Of course, there's also always the option of taking a screenshot, but I've never needed to.

I'm sticking with the save to photos method, but I'm glad Google Pay is an option for those who prefer it.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:15 pm

I can store my turned-off phone in my backpack
Who turns off a phone??? Wow, amazing to see some of these posts in 2018. Curious how many of the paper-saurs still use flip phones.
steved5480 likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 11:31 pm

I find this discussion fascinating.

I use both technologies, not just on WN but on DL and AA. I'm frequently checking a bag on WN so printing the BP at bag drop is easy. And at MDW there's two kiosks right next to TSA PreCheck. But out of smaller airports with no checked bags, I'll just use the app.

If I have a paper WN boarding pass, I can store my turned-off phone in my backpack with a battery and USB before I board, instead of after I board. I find that convenient, since I store nothing under the seat in front of me.
Just fyi- I don't know if they're coming back, but at least as of Thursday, the kiosks by the pre lane at MDW are gone.

​​​​​​
Old May 13, 2018, 3:03 am

Programs: HH Silver
Funny to me to see all the condescending comments about how people do things differently. Yeah, some people still have flip phones. Mostly people who use their phones as.....phones. They have no need for a smart phone. They probably do not have computers, or rarely use them. Anything wrong with that? Should they not be allowed to fly? Put in cargo? Some people like myself like to turn their phone off. I see no reason to leave it on. I do not want to start getting texts and alerts the minute the plane lands, or dink around with the airplane mode, etc. Just as easy to me to turn it off. Maybe I will turn it on when I get to my hotel, maybe I will leave it off for a couple of days. Some people really are not completely dependent on their phones, and they will probably not be the ones hit by a truck crossing the street looking down and not paying attention to where they are going.
Tanic, sdsearch and TSparky like this.
Old May 13, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smmrfld

Who turns off a phone??? Wow, amazing to see some of these posts in 2018. Curious how many of the paper-saurs still use flip phones.
Paper-saurs? Is that an insult?

For some reason, I like paper. Maybe I am old. Maybe I am un-cool. Maybe I am stupid. Maybe I just like paper. I do not have to wake it up to read it. I fumble with my phone. I have to enlighten the display. I watch people board with the phone and it is certainly slower. When it does not work correctly, it is a lot slower.

In my case, I can not set the phone on the middle seat with a "Reserved Seat" card image. To print this I have to print the BP. They are the same size and fit in the same space. The RS document is shown to the OA to verify preboard status.

Plus, I am a maintenance guy. Paper does not break at the most inopportune time.
Old May 13, 2018, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I do not have to wake it up to read it. I fumble with my phone. I have to enlighten the display. I watch people board with the phone and it is certainly slower.
"Certainly slower" is a bygone rap. Scanners and QR displays are now well-tuned. Not that many require a "Reserved Seat" card image.

And who enjoys finding a working printer at the hotel? "Excuse me, your HP OfficeJet 3830" is out of paper" is downtime monotony.

Some would argue "I have to enlighten the display" is less awful.
Old May 13, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: HH Silver
I can say I do not understand the people that try to print their boarding pass at home, or in a hotel. Most every airport I frequent have multiple kiosks right inside the door that can print your pass. I cannot remember ever having to wait to use them. I always use these kiosks to see if a better seat has become available anyway, although that does not apply with WN of course.
Old May 13, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Blitzjb
It is to embarrass people that still use paper boarding passes.
Batteries die, phones freeze and lock up. At the worst possible moment.
Old May 13, 2018, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I find it very curious how these days people will attack and insult if you if you do not do everything exactly the way they do.

Or don’t agree with them lockstep on all political/gender matters or whatever.

Guess I am getting old and out-of-step. Me and Kanye.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.