Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Been flying since 1955. Have never seen this before--->

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Been flying since 1955. Have never seen this before--->

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Well, there's tipping, financially awarding the FA for great service.

And there's bribing, slipping her $20 so she doesn't charge the party-goers for some of the liquor they're drinking.

Other U.S. carriers watch to-be-paid-for liquor inventory like hawks - repetitive bottle counts and $$ reconciliations. Is that not true of WN?
WN does inventory the liquor, but the flight attendants do have some latitude to comp some drinks, usually as a service recovery move or to thank a customer for moving to accommodate families sitting together, etc. With the change to the new tablets, they have a little less freedom (hence the thread about FA's comping drinks less frequently).

As for the panic over FA's somehow forgetting their evacuation responsibilities the second a $20 bill hits their hand...get a life... Most flights have one pass for beverages, so it's not like the people who don't tip will get ignored during the service. I'd just hope that passengers who do wish to thank the crew for good service do so discreetly, so busybodies don't start complaining to HQ.
Old May 2, 2018, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by captaink
As for the panic over FA's somehow forgetting their evacuation responsibilities the second a $20 bill hits their hand...get a life... .
The worst-case-scenario rebuttal doesn't work.

Wedding partiers on a short run don't get continuous pour because they toss 20's around. Getting sloshed on a slush fund is unbefitting an airline. The OP's anecdote is nowhere near that extreme. But I don't see an FA cashing in for special beverage service as a sterling prototype.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by captaink
WN does inventory the liquor, but the flight attendants do have some latitude to comp some drinks, usually as a service recovery move or to thank a customer for moving to accommodate families sitting together, etc. With the change to the new tablets, they have a little less freedom (hence the thread about FA's comping drinks less frequently).
Unless it's changed very recently I've been told by an FA friend of mine that they don't reconcile the coupons and the FAs just throw them away, so any FA can simply mark a drink as paid by coupon and no one would ever know.. I've been on flights where one FA collected for drinks and another FA never did.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP75K, Marriott Platinum, National EE
My coworker I used to fly with would hand over 5 or 6 Hershey Bars to the crew when he got on the plane. I still am amazed how much they appreciated it. He generally got offered a pre-departure drink, and then they always come by multiple times during the flight to ask if he'd like another. I have also never seen him charged, but he left the company about 9 months ago so this was before the tablet system.
Old May 2, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by dabeags
My coworker I used to fly with would hand over 5 or 6 Hershey Bars to the crew when he got on the plane.
OT, and I don't mean to channel that "... and grandes" pilot, but honestly the last thing some of the FAs on some of my recent flights need is chocolate ... I get the need for ADA laws and such, but one FA had to actually twist a little bit between seat rows just to walk down the aisle, and I wonder how effective she would have been in an actual emergency situation
Old May 8, 2018, 9:15 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've been doing some Frontier flying this year and the machine they run CCs on for on board purchases allows tipping. The FA hands it to you and asks you to select either 10%, 15%, 20% or No Tip.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
I've been doing some Frontier flying this year and the machine they run CCs on for on board purchases allows tipping. The FA hands it to you and asks you to select either 10%, 15%, 20% or No Tip.
Yup.

Originally Posted by ursine1
On Frontier, when you pay with a credit card, the FA hands you a tablet to sign, and you must select a suggested tip amount (20%, 15%, 10% etc.) or "none" to get a total before you complete the transaction.

I find it very tacky.

It absolutely devalues the assertion that FAs are there primarily for your safety.
dlaue and steved5480 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.