Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

How long between cancelling and reapplying to help get CP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:56 am
Original Poster

I got both personal and business cards in August 2015. I was suppose to have cancelled them by now but in Nov 17 I helped my parents buy a fixer upper and up to this point needed the cards for repairs. So now I'm months behind on my second 2 year CP plan.

My cards balances are now 0 after carrying something for the last 6 months. However due to this house my credit took a ..... Went from 760 in July 2017 to 640~ now. Probably 680-690 when I originally applied.

I also have the chase reserve and ink cards that I use all the time for business and personal.

Four questions. How far apart from cancelling to reapplying should I wait?

Due to my credit is it possible I will be declined when reapplying? Even though I spend 10-15 thousand a month on the other chase cards

What's the promotions like right now? Anything to look out for?

I can cancel and retain my SW pts correct?

Thank you
Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by RVA110
I got both personal and business cards in August 2015. I was suppose to have cancelled them by now but in Nov 17 I helped my parents buy a fixer upper and up to this point needed the cards for repairs. So now I'm months behind on my second 2 year CP plan.

My cards balances are now 0 after carrying something for the last 6 months. However due to this house my credit took a ..... Went from 760 in July 2017 to 640~ now. Probably 680-690 when I originally applied.

I also have the chase reserve and ink cards that I use all the time for business and personal.

Four questions. How far apart from cancelling to reapplying should I wait?

Due to my credit is it possible I will be declined when reapplying? Even though I spend 10-15 thousand a month on the other chase cards

What's the promotions like right now? Anything to look out for?

I can cancel and retain my SW pts correct?

Thank you
1) When to re-apply for a Chase card has nothing to do with when you canceled that card. Chase will only give you a bonus if your application is more than 24 months from the date that you received your last bonus. Since you last applied in August of 2015, the latest that you could have earned those bonuses would have been in November 2015 (maybe early December 2015?). Since it is now much more than 24 months past that you are free and clear to reapply for a new Southwest card once you cancel your current card. However in your shoes I would probably cancel ASAP and wait awhile (2 or 3 months?) to reapply so that if they ask you can claim that not having this card has caused you to realize that you really do want it. YMMV
2) Anything is possible wrt credit decisions. There are sites on the web that will tell you the average credit score (or sometimes the scores of the "middle half") of successful applications for specific cards - see what you can find.
3) AFAIK the current bonus is only 40000 points. Keep an eye on this board (or regularly check Southwest.com) to see when a higher bonus is active.
4) Cancelling a Southwest credit card will not cause you to lose any Rapid Rewards points already in your southwest account.

When you are ready to cancel your current account you can choose to either just close the account or first ask to have at least some of your credit limit transferred to one of your other Chase cards. If you just cancel, your total credit exposure to Chase will be lowered, which tends to increase the chance that you will be automatically approved when you reapply. However, if you first reallocate some of your credit to a different card then even if you are initially denied for a new Southwest card you can call their reconsideration line and offer to move some of your credit from any of your other cards to a new Southwest card. I probably would do the latter in your situation as once a live human sees your Chase activity I think you would be more likely to be approved despite a lower than ideal credit score. Again, YMMV.

Also, I'm sure you know this but carrying balances will almost always cost you more than any rewards are worth. In your circumstances I would have looked for a card offering a relatively inexpensive balance transfer. As one example, I get offers every month on both of my Barclays cards for 1yr + of no interest for a 1% transfer fee - if I had to carry a balance it would be much cheaper to do this than pay the 1.5%+ monthly interest on a regular cc balance.

I hope this helps!
ferric likes this.

Last edited by HPN-HRL; Apr 13, 2018 at 6:14 am
Old Apr 14, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Only guessing...but if CP is for your spouse, have the spouse get the cards instead.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 10:17 pm

Programs: United Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, National Exec Elite
I have had a Southwest Personal Chase card since March 2019 and my new card bonus in May 2019, i.e., 24+ months ago. I just cancelled this card Today (11/14/2021). My statement ends 12/3/2021.

When can I reapply for this case again and be eligible for the new 100k RR points offer as this offer ends 12/7/2021? Can I apply Tomorrow, OR should I wait until after my statement ends i.e. say on 12/4/2021, OR longer? Please advise. I want get my companion next year, so this is a sweet opportunity.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by abhicoolmax
I have had a Southwest Personal Chase card since March 2019 and my new card bonus in May 2019, i.e., 24+ months ago. I just cancelled this card Today (11/14/2021). My statement ends 12/3/2021.

When can I reapply for this case again and be eligible for the new 100k RR points offer as this offer ends 12/7/2021? Can I apply Tomorrow, OR should I wait until after my statement ends i.e. say on 12/4/2021, OR longer? Please advise. I want get my companion next year, so this is a sweet opportunity.
Heads up, offer expiration has changed to 1 December according to a recent thread...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/2058747-rapid-rewards-100-000-mile-bonus-expiration-changed-dec-1st.html
Old Nov 14, 2021, 12:30 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist

You have to wait 30 days to reapply so you won’t be eligible to reapply until 12/14.

I was in the same boat but cancelled back in October and made the mistake of reapplying the next day. 7 days later I called to check status and they told me I had to wait 30 days - and that there was no hard pull.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by synergistic
Heads up, offer expiration has changed to 1 December according to a recent thread...
Actually that was incorrect. (December 1 applies to a referral link that was later removed by moderators.) The offer expiration is still December 7, 2021.
synergistic likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
Actually that was incorrect. (December 1 applies to a referral link that was later removed by moderators.) The offer expiration is still December 7, 2021.
My apologies, had not caught the update. I'm always worried about people attempting this process and mucking it right up. Now that we've had our first, 'I think I'm $35 away from hitting my spend... That counts pending charges, right?' guy, I'm officially doubly on guard for easy-to-avoid spoilers. I may be overzealous with my warnings again before the end of the year.

I think our card will stay in the darned envelope until after my first statement this year. I don't actually expect a lot of Southwest travel in 2022 - I wouldn't even be bothering if 100k wasn't too good to pass up.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 8:17 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards
I went through this this month. I didnt do my research before I cancelled cards. I had the Southwest Plus and Premier. I called and got three different answers. First that I could apply after the card closing dates (November 13 and 18) Second rep told me I could apply immediately, and third rep told me I should wait 48 hours.

Closed accounts on the 10th and 13th. Applied November 16 and denied. I was told I had an active account but got no hard pull on my credit. I guess the second card hadnt cycled out. Applied again November 19 and got approved for Priority. I would make sure to apply for whichever card you didn't just close.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 8:20 am

Programs: United Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by EvertonEP
I went through this this month. I didnt do my research before I cancelled cards. I had the Southwest Plus and Premier. I called and got three different answers. First that I could apply after the card closing dates (November 13 and 18) Second rep told me I could apply immediately, and third rep told me I should wait 48 hours.

Closed accounts on the 10th and 13th. Applied November 16 and denied. I was told I had an active account but got no hard pull on my credit. I guess the second card hadnt cycled out. Applied again November 19 and got approved for Priority. I would make sure to apply for whichever card you didn't just close.
You are the man. Thank you so much for the info. I had S/W Personal Plus card that I cancelled Nov 14th. My statement ends Dec 3rd, so hoping it clears from the system by then. So based on your experience, if I apply Dec 4th for the S/W Personal Premier card, I should be okay, right?
EvertonEP likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 12:34 am

You are the man. Thank you so much for the info. I had S/W Personal Plus card that I cancelled Nov 14th. My statement ends Dec 3rd, so hoping it clears from the system by then. So based on your experience, if I apply Dec 4th for the S/W Personal Premier card, I should be okay, right?

Yeah based on my experience this would be the safest bet. If you had the Plus apply for Premier or Priority otherwise they may just reopen the old card.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by EvertonEP
Yeah based on my experience this would be the safest bet. If you had the Plus apply for Premier or Priority otherwise they may just reopen the old card.
Applied today. Waiting on results. Did you get instant approval or had to call?
Old Dec 7, 2021, 4:50 pm

Applied today. Waiting on results. Did you get instant approval or had to call?
Instant, i'd suggest you call

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.