Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

New format for changing flights on southwest.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:42 am
Original Poster

When logging in this morning to check for fare reductions, a new format appeared on southwest .com. The implications of changing a flight are more evident, than the previous layout, and each available fare class is more clearly displayed, including addition or reduction in fares. You can also see if only a couple of seats are available with the new selection.

This is a cleaner, fresher look, and perhaps a response to customers having issues with the previous layout.
TortillaChip likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:06 am
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by mke9499
When logging in this morning to check for fare reductions, a new format appeared on southwest .com. The implications of changing a flight are more evident, than the previous layout, and each available fare class is more clearly displayed, including addition or reduction in fares. You can also see if only a couple of seats are available with the new selection.

This is a cleaner, fresher look, and perhaps a response to customers having issues with the previous layout.
That is an improvement. Now if they would just add the ability to change flights booked outside of their website, like Concur.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I struggled with that for years. It was just easier to take the PNR to the WN website, cancel the flight and not refund and use the funds from there.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
This definitely seems to be an improvement... however: be aware that it does not appear to always prefill the fields correctly on the page where you enter details to search for a new flight.

For me, it prefills those fields, not with the current flight, but with the last flight I had searched for.

That may be a browser issue... or it may be a Southwest.com issue.
Froog likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:34 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by twitch76
This definitely seems to be an improvement... however: be aware that it does not appear to always prefill the fields correctly on the page where you enter details to search for a new flight.

For me, it prefills those fields, not with the current flight, but with the last flight I had searched for.

That may be a browser issue... or it may be a Southwest.com issue.
Same thing happened to me. But overall I'd say this is a huge improvement for changing flights.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:15 pm

Can you use this new format to change a flight with a companion attached ?

Currently we call in whenever prices drop
SCGustafson and RobtheAggie like this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:40 pm

It seems odd to me that once you select "change flight" it no longer tells you the departure time of your original flight, or indicates which of the selections are your original flight.
AsiaTraveler likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: SW Comp Pass, Lft Gold AA, Lft DIA HHONORS, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by joshua362
I struggled with that for years. It was just easier to take the PNR to the WN website, cancel the flight and not refund and use the funds from there.
Interesting.. i hadn't thought of trying this... All of our corporate travel is booked through concur and an agent as well.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by ursine1
It seems odd to me that once you select "change flight" it no longer tells you the departure time of your original flight, or indicates which of the selections are your original flight.
I agree.

Also, this did not fix the "bug" whereby it looks like you can refare your flight for a small savings and then you discover that the price is no longer available.

I had four flights this morning that I attempted to refare (for small amounts), and when I clicked continue, I got a "Things change fast in this business" window that told me that instead of saving ~15, the change would cost me $70+.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:23 am

This has happened to me every time I have tried to rebook due to the fare dropping for the last month. Is Southwest no longer allowing to rebook for a lower price or what is going on???

I agree.

Also, this did not fix the "bug" whereby it looks like you can refare your flight for a small savings and then you discover that the price is no longer available.

I had four flights this morning that I attempted to refare (for small amounts), and when I clicked continue, I got a "Things change fast in this business" window that told me that instead of saving ~15, the change would cost me $70+.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
I agree.

That seems strange. I was just looking at a flight I had scheduled and it had gone up a couple thousand points. But if I was to refare it, there was a zero point difference.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
That seems strange. I was just looking at a flight I had scheduled and it had gone up a couple thousand points. But if I was to refare it, there was a zero point difference.
I believe that's because you hold the last seat at the lower fare. When you try to refare, it probably shows one seat available at the lower fare - yours! If you continue, it's basically an even exchange.
`
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by mke9499
I believe that's because you hold the last seat at the lower fare. When you try to refare, it probably shows one seat available at the lower fare - yours! If you continue, it's basically an even exchange.
`
You are probably right. Didn't think of that.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:58 am
Original Member

I spent some more time on this new change process this morning. As I said earlier, all of my corporate travel is booked through Concur and because of that online changes have never been possible. However, with the new change process it will allow me to now see all the available flights and what it will cost to make a change. It still bombs out when I actually try to make the change stick but at least I know what I'm dealing with when I call to modify the reservation. That's an improvement. And for what it's worth, a SW phone rep did tell me that she understands that an enhancement is coming that will permit changes to reservations made outside of the website.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
Isn't it always better to Cancel and Re-Book then to Change?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.