Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Preserving Early Bird payment with maximum flexibility?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:31 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member

A relative needs to cancel an upcoming trip for which she paid Early Bird. I'm thinking the best option is to find any super cheap flight far in the future and change the trip to that. This would free up most of the money for re-use while preserving Early Bird on the record locator while tying up the least money. Correct?
dc2 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:05 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I did this and it worked, except for one odd glitch. The Change Reservation page insisted that the schedule was not yet open through the late October date I initially selected. It's as if news of the extension several days ago has not yet reached that software module!.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by nsx
A relative needs to cancel an upcoming trip for which she paid Early Bird. I'm thinking the best option is to find any super cheap flight far in the future and change the trip to that. This would free up most of the money for re-use while preserving Early Bird on the record locator while tying up the least money. Correct?
Assuming you are going to change to something which you won't fly, why does it matter what the cost is as long as it is less than the existing reservation?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:10 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Assuming you are going to change to something which you won't fly, why does it matter what the cost is as long as it is less than the existing reservation?
She could use some of the funds to buy a trip on which she doesn't need Early Bird, saving the prepaid EB for a later trip.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:28 pm

Your plan is correct.

One small consideration: The "purchase date" of EBCI isn't retained -- each time it's changed to a new flight, that change date becomes the new date of purchase used to assign boarding positions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.