Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taxes and Fees, oh My!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Taxes and Fees, oh My!

We have flown to CUN several times but never really looked at the breakdown of the taxes and fees added onto the tickets. WOW! Excise tax, US Customs fee, Plant and Animal Inspection fee, US Immigration fee, Sept. 11th Fee(I'm used to that one), International Airport Transportation tax, Tourism Tax and Passenger Facility Fee. All together, they add over $128.00 to each ticket. Seems excessive to me, but if we want to go on vacation, I guess it is what it is.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:08 pm

You.may have missed one or two:

Mexico Departure Tax: $31.16.
U.S. Customs User Fee: 5.50
U.S. Immigration User Fee: 7.00
U.S. APHIS User Fee: 3.96
U.S. Transportation Tax: 35.60
September 11th Security Fee: 11.20
Mexico Tourism Tax: 20.98
Mexico Departure Tax: 31.16
U.S. Passenger Facility Charge: 13.50
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Lots of taxes come into play when crossing borders by air. It's a big reason why it's popular for Canadians to drive across then catch a domestic flight to their final destination in the US or why the Cross Border Xpress bridge to allow direct pedestrian access to the Tijuana airport came about.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is nothing new and it applies to all international tickets on all carriers. The taxes imposed by Mexico exist in most other countries as well and many have much higher taxes. For example, departure (APD) from LHR in F/J is just over $200 in addition to all else.

Hopefully Mods will move this to Mexico forum because it has nothing to do with WN.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
For example, departure (APD) from LHR in F/J is just over $200 in addition to all else.
Also $219 APD for Premium Economy. Brits consider it equally opulent.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The ''Canadians driving to Buffalo to fly to Florida' example is instructive.

The OP would have paid the taxes and immigration and airport fees on any carrier.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Often1
This is nothing new and it applies to all international tickets on all carriers. The taxes imposed by Mexico exist in most other countries as well and many have much higher taxes. For example, departure (APD) from LHR in F/J is just over $200 in addition to all else.

Hopefully Mods will move this to Mexico forum because it has nothing to do with WN.
Actually, it is helpful to WN folks. Those with lots of points and/or companion pass need to take this into account.

I know we thought twice about those "free" trips to intl destinations and the "hidden" costs that come with it.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by LegalTender
You.may have missed one or two:

Mexico Departure Tax: $31.16.
U.S. Customs User Fee: 5.50
U.S. Immigration User Fee: 7.00
U.S. APHIS User Fee: 3.96
U.S. Transportation Tax: 35.60
September 11th Security Fee: 11.20
Mexico Tourism Tax: 20.98
Mexico Departure Tax: 31.16
U.S. Passenger Facility Charge: 13.50
Does Mexico charge it’s departure tax twice?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

Does Mexico charge it’s departure tax twice?
Absolutely not. My cut-paste mistake, thanks for catching. 64.54 USD for two persons.

I looked up my GDL flight from last year and departure tax was $18.29. No clue why it would be higher from MEX and CUN.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
Probably because they are tourist oriented?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
When we flew to the Dominican Republic a few years ago, we were astounded at how much of the ticket was taxes & fees. Highway robbery indeed.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: WN A-List, CP, Marriott Gold
Taxes to MEX

Here's another outrageous example..:
MEX - HOU March 7
Base Fare $46.00 Total Taxes: $91.78
U.S. Transportation Tax $18.30
U.S. Customs User Fee $5.65
U.S. APHIS User Fee $3.96
U.S. Immigration User Fee $7.00
MX Transportation Tax - IVA $1.84
Intl Airport Departure Tax $55.03

Total per Passenger $137.78
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blondietink
We have flown to CUN several times but never really looked at the breakdown of the taxes and fees added onto the tickets. WOW! Excise tax, US Customs fee, Plant and Animal Inspection fee, US Immigration fee, Sept. 11th Fee(I'm used to that one), International Airport Transportation tax, Tourism Tax and Passenger Facility Fee. All together, they add over $128.00 to each ticket. Seems excessive to me, but if we want to go on vacation, I guess it is what it is.
Well, don't ever think of using AA miles for a BA trans-atlantic flight, because the "YQ" fees will be so much more (plus, as mentioned above, the Britain-departure APD tax on top of that), you'll wish and pray that there were "only" $128.00 each ticket!
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, don't ever think of using AA miles for a BA trans-atlantic flight, because the "YQ" fees will be so much more (plus, as mentioned above, the Britain-departure APD tax on top of that), you'll wish and pray that there were "only" $128.00 each ticket!
Yep - especially if it includes London. $500+ in fees is common.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips on Not Using air miles on either Southwest or American for international flights as we are accumulating in both systems. I'll try and remember to use our miles for domestic only.

On a side note, we live in the Western NY area and are used to the planes being half full with Canadian travelers. I thought it was because of the outrageous fees that the Canadian government tack on to their flights. But now I see we have the same issues in the US. The airfare its cheap, the taxes are not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.