Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Bad Is Southwest?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:20 pm

Vegas got poured on yesterday and today. It’s been almost 4 months without measurable rain so the storms have been a little rough on us.

I have had much better luck flying in/out of OAK versus SFO. I haven’t tried SJC because it’s further from where I want to be. Every single time we’ve flown in/out of SFO on Southwest, there has been at least an hour delay. No problems at all when I schedule OAK.

i think I remember reading something somewhere on FlyerTalk about UA having priority st SFO because they take up so much space there. I could be remembering wrong though. If correct, that could explain why OP has a much better experience on UA.
Lost likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tanic
Kind of ironic, since that UA (the one with the tulip logo) is long gone. Today's United is essentially CO dba UA.
They still suck.
sonofzeus likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by naumank
One thing is for sure, I will book on UA or DL to the CES next year.
UA had seven non stops SFO-LAS yesterday; five were at least an hour late. They don't have any non stops SJC-LAS.

DL (Skywest) had three non stops SJC-LAS yesterday; all were late and one was 2.5 hours late. They don't have any SFO-LAS non stops.

Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:36 am

The stats @3Cforme shared got me curious. I went to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics to look it up. So it appears to be an Airport by Airport thing.

- SJC Origin, January 1 through December 31, 2017, all flights on all airlines had a late rate of 18.77%, compared with 25.64% on Southwest.
- SJC Destination, during the same period, all flights on all airlines had a late rate of 19.21%, compared with 23.02% on Southwest.
- SFO Origin, during the same period, all flights on all airlines had a late rate of 24.77%, compared with 31.25% on Southwest.
- SFO Destination, during the same period, all flights on all airlines had a late rate of 30.13%, compared with 37.32% on Southwest.
- During the same period, among all of WN's flights, 20.58% were late.

WN performed much worse (not a little worse, but significantly worse) than other airlines on average in and out of the Bay Area. Is the Bay Area treating WN unfairly, or does WN have an operational problem in the Bay Area? I am not an expert so I stand to be enlightened.
This is interesting...the data appears to show that WN does have operational problems at Bay Area airports.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
- SJC Origin, January 1 through December 31, 2017, all flights on all airlines had a late rate of 18.77%, compared with 25.64% on Southwest.
- SJC Destination, during the same period, all flights on all airlines had a late rate of 19.21%, compared with 23.02% on Southwest.
Maybe it matters, maybe not, but my seat-of-the-pants impression of SJC is that Southwest is the dominant carrier there, by a large margin. Alaska is probably #2 , but its a distant second. I should know for sure, though, since SJC is one of my frequent destinations. Only delays I've experienced there were due to problems at MDW but I would hang that on MDW itself.

Closest I've been to SFO is the little U-turn the Bart trains make there after leaving Millbrae!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
This is interesting...the data appears to show that WN does have operational problems at Bay Area airports.
Well not all "Bay Area airports" - as others have mentioned, you can greatly reduce the risk of delays by flying through OAK. Not sure the origin of the SJC discrepancy but I also wouldn't hesitate to fly there if more convenient. Any time booking SFO, especially in winter, you're rolling the dice.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Well not all "Bay Area airports" - as others have mentioned, you can greatly reduce the risk of delays by flying through OAK. Not sure the origin of the SJC discrepancy but I also wouldn't hesitate to fly there if more convenient. Any time booking SFO, especially in winter, you're rolling the dice.
Understood. But the comment is WN under-performance compared to other airlines at SJC and SFO. Unsure about WN's performance at OAK compared to other airlines as the OP did not post the info. This is NOT about which is the better Bay Area airport to fly in and out of.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Unsure about WN's performance at OAK compared to other airlines as the OP did not post the info.
WN is the dominant airline at OAK, so it will skew stats. For what it is worth I commute weekly OAK-RNO and have only had one major delay in recent years; it was heavy snow in Reno.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:34 am

This is NOT about which is the better Bay Area airport to fly in and out of.
It should be. ATF disparities at SFO and OAK are a near-constant. It's hard to overstate ceiling and wx anomalies.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
WN is all right for me. I fly maybe once or twice a year. SO never have status anywhere.
Plus, I fly out of ABQ, and never [so far] to Cali.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
WN is the dominant airline at OAK, so it will skew stats. For what it is worth I commute weekly OAK-RNO and have only had one major delay in recent years; it was heavy snow in Reno.

How much quicker, door to door, could it be to fly OAK-Reno rather than drive it?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
OP, Southwest is very bad. My flights are always crowded. I recommend you stay away. Thanks.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by Insulator-King
WN is all right for me. I fly maybe once or twice a year. SO never have status anywhere.
Plus, I fly out of ABQ, and never [so far] to Cali.
No big deal since Southwest doesn't fly to Colombia.
Tanic and InkUnderNails like this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by Delta Hog
How much quicker, door to door, could it be to fly OAK-Reno rather than drive it?
In good weather and light traffic it's about a 3.5-4 hour drive. To me it's in the range where if someone else were paying I'd fly, but if I'm paying I'd drive.

On the last evening of a holiday weekend you could easily double the driving time though.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by Delta Hog
Sometimes speed is not the only reason to fly. For me it is comfort + cost + speed. Logic follows. Also---as an aviation geek it is hard to convince me not to take a 737.

Time
When the weather is clear driving SF->Tahoe is about the same four hours as Bart->Uber->OAK->RNO->drive to Tahoe...but during winter months my average drive time is more like 5-6 hours.

Cost
Plus it is much less expensive: i.e. $110 average RT fare + $10 for my companion + $30 to/from OAK + $5 in gas RNO->Tahoe=$155 * 3 weeks/month = $465/mo. Gas + Tolls to Tahoe=$90*4=$360 + parking in our building at SF at $300/month=$660/month. Our Amex Plat provides entry to Escape Lounges at OAK + RNO so we get some free F+B too.

Stress + risk
Much easier and safer to fly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.