Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Bonus when opening a southwest card again after previously having one

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

I had a question I wanted clarification on - I'm looking to re-apply for a southwest credit card with chase to get companion status again. My question is, in order to qualify for the 50k bonus points again, how long has to pass between my previous bonuses? Is it 24 months from the time I applied for the previous card? or 24 months from the time I got the 50k points? or 24 months from when I canceled the card?

Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:06 pm

24 months from when you got the bonus posted to re qualify for bonus.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by figment7
24 months from when you got the bonus posted to re qualify for bonus.
I am in a similar situation. Is ti from the time the original 40k or above bonus posted or if you kept the card active for another year and got the yearly 3K or more annual bonus, does it go from the 3k one or the original 40k bonus?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:56 pm

it's 24 months from when the sign up ( 40, 50, 60K) points posted. In the past Chase would deny the card if you applied too soon.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

got it, thanks everyone!
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:32 am

What if you didn't get the bonus points because you missed the minimum spend by a few dollars. How long would I need to wait to cancel and then reapply? This just happened to me this week....
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by goofyre
What if you didn't get the bonus points because you missed the minimum spend by a few dollars. How long would I need to wait to cancel and then reapply? This just happened to me this week....
Are you sure you missed the minimum spend time frame? It is actually more than 90 days, it is usually over 100, you should secure message Chase to confirm your spend deadline.

If you truly missed and didn't receive the bonus, I think you are technically still eligible so if you cancel the card, apply again, and Chase approves you for then card then I would assume you would get it if you do meet min spend this time. This is definitely all assumptions though on my end.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by willywilkes
Are you sure you missed the minimum spend time frame? It is actually more than 90 days, it is usually over 100, you should secure message Chase to confirm your spend deadline.

If you truly missed and didn't receive the bonus, I think you are technically still eligible so if you cancel the card, apply again, and Chase approves you for then card then I would assume you would get it if you do meet min spend this time. This is definitely all assumptions though on my end.
Yea, I definitely missed the 115 day deadline. I called in, and also sent an SM asking for extension or anything since I was less than $10 short and only like 3 days passed. No dice. I applied for SW Biz last night to try to get CP still, but I'd like to be able to get this card again in a few months or something and not wait 2 years.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:28 am

Was it 24 months after you received your points or after you applied?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by goofyre
Yea, I definitely missed the 115 day deadline. I called in, and also sent an SM asking for extension or anything since I was less than $10 short and only like 3 days passed. No dice. I applied for SW Biz last night to try to get CP still, but I'd like to be able to get this card again in a few months or something and not wait 2 years.

There are 2 Southwest personal cards ( Plus and Premier) unless you had the other cards bonus post in the past 24 months just get that card
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
There are 2 Southwest personal cards ( Plus and Premier) unless you had the other cards bonus post in the past 24 months just get that card
I applied for both in September for CP 2018 and 2019, so I've got the points for the plus, but missed spend on premier. Just got approved for biz and will cancel the premier this month and just reapply in a few months when I've got some more expenses coming up.
flyer4512 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.