Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of year A-list question/puzzle

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

End of year A-list question/puzzle

I will make A-List on a flight on Dec 31. I then have a Jan 1 flight and wondering if SW will consider me to be on the A-list when it pre-assigns the Jan 1 flight 36 hours in advance, before completing the Dec 31 flight.

Have called SW and they are uncertain.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by philipgbaker
I will make A-List on a flight on Dec 31. I then have a Jan 1 flight and wondering if SW will consider me to be on the A-list when it pre-assigns the Jan 1 flight 36 hours in advance, before completing the Dec 31 flight.

Have called SW and they are uncertain.
I doubt it. But you should be able to board between A and B. You may have to call the morning of and have them update your record/BP so that it shows A list. You should then get the mileage bonus as well. Be nice if I was wrong so let us know what happens.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:08 am

I believe they check status at 36 hours before the flight when Boarding Positions are assigned, and that will show on your BP. They may update status later if you reprint your BP later. I've actually had A-List Boarding Position on January 1 flights where my A-List expired on December 31. Also the update of year end status may come into play that seems to take 24 hours or so. I think it depends to some extent on how much time there is between your two flights.
synergistic likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:53 pm

When my challenge earned A-List abruptly disappeared from my account, I asked someone airside to help me get a decent boarding position. At that moment, I had exactly no proof that I should have A-List, other than the original 'fly six flights...' promo email, and six paid flights in my history - I couldn't even find a congratulations email. Probably just to get rid of me, the agent wrote something illegible on the pass and told me I could board with family boarding. I imagine you would be able to get similar treatment between a Dec 31 screenshot and the prior day's boarding pass.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. I decided to take a roundtrip flight between San Diego and Oakland that I had booked earlier in the year for December as a hedge. Cost just $58 rt. Need early boarding on Jan 1 because traveling with entire family that boards later.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by philipgbaker
Thanks all. I decided to take a roundtrip flight between San Diego and Oakland that I had booked earlier in the year for December as a hedge. Cost just $58 rt. Need early boarding on Jan 1 because traveling with entire family that boards later.
Heh, for that $60 you could have bought some EBCI... Saving a single adjacent seat in a regular row is generally accepted, saving lots of seats for an 'entire family' that's old enough not to qualify for family boarding is generally considered a jerk move.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey, Hertz PC , Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by synergistic
Heh, for that $60 you could have bought some EBCI... Saving a single adjacent seat in a regular row is generally accepted, saving lots of seats for an 'entire family' that's old enough not to qualify for family boarding is generally considered a jerk move.
Agreed!
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:03 am

Luckily, Southwest allows seat saving, so jerk move or not, just save as many seats as you need. You should have no problem, since seat saving incidents don't really ever happen, and the whole thing is a non-issue (according to the consensus here).

Happy flying!

Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Southwest Airlines,
My A-list kicked in the same night I completed my 25th one-way, but they said 24-48 hours.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
FYI- An RT booking posts the points shortly after the RT has completed. If you fly the second part after the 1st, that's when all the points will come through.

Don't count on the first flight posting immediately.

...also a clever way to carry points into the next year if you're good at straddling round trips from 1 year to the next.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.