Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On the plane New seatsaving scam

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by kendallg
Hi. My name is Dawn Gilbertson and I wrote the article. Thanks for linking to it and, especially, for the fodder for the story! Have been a longtime FlyerTalk fan. (Kendall is my daughter, hence the user name).
Dawn.... Todd K here. Glad to see you in FT! Great group here in the WN forum. I was about to link your article-that's spreading across the media-and someone already had. awesome.
kendallg likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles
Ways "seat saving' ends:
1) Seat saving brawl (discussed before)
2) People in A1-A15 start to monetize seat saving. All it would need is a public forum, and the person in C5 can Paypal $20 to A4 from the back of the boarding area to save an exit row seat.
kendallg likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 2:11 pm

A "brawl" extending two news cycles might force corporate to reconsider its neutrality. But airlines don't typically acknowledge viral grievances. Why get off the fence when you can sit on it? Families split apart could mean a bigger drag on sales.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by mdkowals
Ways "seat saving' ends:
1) Seat saving brawl (discussed before)
2) People in A1-A15 start to monetize seat saving. All it would need is a public forum, and the person in C5 can Paypal $20 to A4 from the back of the boarding area to save an exit row seat.

Then the person with C4 (or any position ahead of C5) could just go ahead and sit there anyway if he wants it enough because, after all, it is OPEN SEATING
Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Airlines are very good at market research, understand their customers better than their customers know themselves. Nothing is going to happen until WN loses a measurable amount of market share, attributable to open seating.

WN is also very effective in controlling their narrative via advertising and social media, could easily work through a couple of seat saving brawls. If all else fails, a fare "sale" or Hawaii service "update" will quickly change any such narrative.
TSparky likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by diver858
Airlines are very good at market research, understand their customers better than their customers know themselves. Nothing is going to happen until WN loses a measurable amount of market share, attributable to open seating..
That is unlikely to happen because we have all drunk the coolaid, we are dumb and blind, and really don't object to saving seats.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Here's a thought:

When you buy a ticket, you can put your personal belongings under the seat in front of you or in the overhead bin. You cannot just leave your stuff on an empty seat, no?

So, in this situation, I would say, "excuse me, is this your bag?" If the answer is no, call a flight attendant (unattended baggage). If the answer is yes, then respond with "please move it". If she refuses, then push the bag to the middle seat so you can sit there. Don't be a doormat!
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Here's a thought:
If she refuses, then push the bag to the middle seat so you can sit there. Don't be a doormat!
Here's a thought don't be a jerk. THERE IS NO POLICY EITHER FOR OR AGAINST SEAT SAVING.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Here's a thought don't be a jerk. THERE IS NO POLICY EITHER FOR OR AGAINST SEAT SAVING.
As there is no policy, it's jerk vs. jerk. It's fine to take the seat anyhow.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:57 pm

I think most people would agree that the passenger making the biggest deal out of it, whether by saving many or a premium seat, or demanding a random saved seat be relinquished, is the jerk.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:01 pm

Flew back from Vegas last Sunday, woman saving two whole rows on one side of the plane (6 seats) around row 4-5. I kept moving as my A-list partner was saving me the 2nd of the LUV seats (I was A46 though so not too far behind). No idea how far behind the woman her party was but that's the most I've ever seen one person try to save, and couldn't hear if any scuffles broke out from my position.

On a flight out to Vegas a couple months ago a gentlemen in the aisle of the exit saved the aisle across for his C-buddy, anytime anyone asked he said is wife was in the bathroom. I was surprised the person who opted to take the empty middle when told the wife story didn't complain when said buddy showed up.

As for the middle in the exit row, I see that seat go empty so often when there are literally only 1-2 seats empty on the flight - usually pax takes unlimited legroom seat, FA is standing in that row in aisle, another pax asks if the aisle is open, FA says "sure but do you mind sitting in the middle for now so that I can stand here during boarding" and then FA leaves after everyone boards and 2nd pax moves to aisle - I don't often travel alone but if you do this seems like a great way to get extra legroom and often an unoccupied middle on high occupancy flights!
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
How does someone save 2 entire rows of seats? Someday when I'm by myself and that happens....
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Shhh. No need to share the FA standing in an available seat secret. I agree sometimes the FA is not so happy when I want to sit where they are standing as they have to find somewhere else to stand.

I think the boarding and seating situation is one of my least favorite Southwest processes. I like an assigned seat, or I like the ability to have everyone in my PNR to inherit my elite boarding status like other carriers. It looks like they might solve the CP issue soon too. I don't like saving seats, and family boarding doesn't help if I have a seven year old.

Perhaps this is why EBCI is sold, but I am not used to paying this type of fee. I am willing to trade a free bag for EBCI (oh my).

Rasheed
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by willywilkes
As for the middle in the exit row, I see that seat go empty so often when there are literally only 1-2 seats empty on the flight - usually pax takes unlimited legroom seat, FA is standing in that row in aisle, another pax asks if the aisle is open, FA says "sure but do you mind sitting in the middle for now so that I can stand here during boarding" and then FA leaves after everyone boards and 2nd pax moves to aisle - I don't often travel alone but if you do this seems like a great way to get extra legroom and often an unoccupied middle on high occupancy flights!
That's what I did on my most recent flight. Was fantastic, although the flight was completely full so the last to board got the middle.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 5:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.