Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

“Southwest Monkey”: Site that monitors WN price drops for you

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

https://www.swmonkey.com

Wonder how long this one will survive.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by toomanybooks

$3 for the alert, if they save you at least $10.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:32 pm

Forces you to do a round trip, and of course ypu pay up front.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:29 pm

Not sure, but it works fine for me on oneway trips as well. They seem to charge only after they find savings.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
TripIt Pro does the same.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA LifetimeGold, WN A-ListPreferred, B6 Mosaic, ChoicePrivileges Diamond, BestWestern Diamond Select
Originally Posted by kerrigjl
TripIt Pro does the same.
Yes it does, but their software has a major bug, that I keep telling them about. For who knows what reason, their algorithm compares the BASE PRICE of the ticket you already have with the FULL PRICE showing currently. As a result, it misses a high number of price drops. This wasn't a one time glitch. At least a half dozen times this year, I have been notified of a price drop. When I check, the amount I can actually get back is way more than the amount TripitPro has told me. When I tried to figure out why, I realized the stupid algorithm they are using. I am sure I missed out on many refunds because their algorithm didn't compute that the price had in fact dropped.
The reps at first couldn't comprehend what I was saying. When they finally did, they denied that this was so. When I sent a bunch of screen shots they finally acknowledged that it was so, and said they would look into it. Many months later, it hasn't been fixed.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:19 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by Drummer
Yes it does, but their software has a major bug, that I keep telling them about. For who knows what reason, their algorithm compares the BASE PRICE of the ticket you already have with the FULL PRICE showing currently. As a result, it misses a high number of price drops. This wasn't a one time glitch. At least a half dozen times this year, I have been notified of a price drop. When I check, the amount I can actually get back is way more than the amount TripitPro has told me. When I tried to figure out why, I realized the stupid algorithm they are using. I am sure I missed out on many refunds because their algorithm didn't compute that the price had in fact dropped.
The reps at first couldn't comprehend what I was saying. When they finally did, they denied that this was so. When I sent a bunch of screen shots they finally acknowledged that it was so, and said they would look into it. Many months later, it hasn't been fixed.
I have noticed the “current fare” they show is way higher than what I can find on many flights. This makes total sense with what you’re saying.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:14 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

I believe TripIt partners with Yapta for this functionality. It's probably Yapta's issue to fix. Honestly, with the exception of WN, Google Flights does a much better job of fare tracking than Yapta.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by toomanybooks

Not for long, apparently: https://www.swmonkey.com/blog/cease_desist/
Old Nov 18, 2017, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
hahahahahaha
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:40 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

It was nice knowing you SWMonkey!

In the couple weeks that we were on-line , we were able to save customers more than 43,000 points and $550 dollars, and have made $45. Southwest Airlines has sent us a number of cease and desist letters demanding that we shut down our website "immediately." Because our $45 will not go very far in fighting litigation in federal court in Dallas, we have decided to save ourselves the headache and have shut down the service.
Thank you all so much for all the support and encouragement over the last few weeks.

Best,
Chase & Pavel
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:01 pm

I just finished building swmonkey's replacement website: nutsaver.com

It's free for now while I figure how to best monetize it. Let me know if you find any bugs!
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Southwest builds and maintains a web site to make money for Southwest. Using it to deprive WN of revenues (as by suggesting refaring tickets), or to make money for third parties, is likely to be shut down quickly.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Originally Posted by NutSaver
I just finished building swmonkey's replacement website: nutsaver.com

It's free for now while I figure how to best monetize it. Let me know if you find any bugs!
If you monetize it, that's when WN will bring it down.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by kerrigjl
If you monetize it, that's when WN will bring it down.
I would not expect SW to wait until you monetize it. In the (brief) meantime, I wish it would accept Price Paid in points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.