Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Need help on a simple check-in question for a connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

I don't fly SW often and when, only on a short hop between LAX and PHX. My Son-in-law wants us to go to the East Coast from PHX which includes a connection or two. I know SW does not assign seats, how does that work? We can check in for the first flight right at the 24 hr mark to get a decent position, correct? How about the connection? Do they already assign a position at the departure airport? What happens if the departing flight is late, what position do we get then? And on some connecting flight there are already pax onboard, no? Which seats to get? Do you get all boarding passes at origin? I really don't know since SW does not fly to Japan. So please be easy on me. Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:25 pm

You check in 24 hours before your first flight to get your boarding position, and they assign you your position for the connecting flights at that time. You'll typically get pretty good position on the connecting flight because you're being checked in earlier than the masses can. If your first flight is severely delayed, though, you're pretty much stuck - you might have a great boarding position, but if they're boarding Cs when you rush up to the gate, that's when you get on.

Also, I don't think WN usually sells double connections (could be wrong) so I suspect at least one of those 'connections' is just a stop without a plane change. That means you choose your seat normally at the beginning, but don't exit the plane with the departing passengers. The FAA will likely ask you to remain in your original seat long enough for them to get a count of through passengers, then you can choose a different (better) seat before the next batch of passengers get on. Business Select passengers boarding at that connection (who paid extra to get very good boarding positions) may glare at you a bit but that's just the way it works on WN.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by synergistic
You check in 24 hours before your first flight to get your boarding position, and they assign you your position for the connecting flights at that time. You'll typically get pretty good position on the connecting flight because you're being checked in earlier than the masses can. If your first flight is severely delayed, though, you're pretty much stuck - you might have a great boarding position, but if they're boarding Cs when you rush up to the gate, that's when you get on.

Also, I don't think WN usually sells double connections (could be wrong) so I suspect at least one of those 'connections' is just a stop without a plane change. That means you choose your seat normally at the beginning, but don't exit the plane with the departing passengers. The FAA will likely ask you to remain in your original seat long enough for them to get a count of through passengers, then you can choose a different (better) seat before the next batch of passengers get on. Business Select passengers boarding at that connection (who paid extra to get very good boarding positions) may glare at you a bit but that's just the way it works on WN.
You are right, it was only one connection. Thank you so much for taking time and explaining this to me. I have a much better understanding of the procedure now. Not used to not having a seat assignment months in advance. Thanks again.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
I don't fly SW often and when, only on a short hop between LAX and PHX. My Son-in-law wants us to go to the East Coast from PHX which includes a connection or two. I know SW does not assign seats, how does that work? We can check in for the first flight right at the 24 hr mark to get a decent position, correct? How about the connection? Do they already assign a position at the departure airport? What happens if the departing flight is late, what position do we get then? And on some connecting flight there are already pax onboard, no? Which seats to get? Do you get all boarding passes at origin? I really don't know since SW does not fly to Japan. So please be easy on me. Thanks for your help.
When you have a trip that includes at least one connection, your single check-in covers all subsequent segments (even if they are more than 24 hours away).

If your next segment happens to be on the same aircraft, you are already on the correct plane and you can move to any available seat when the passengers get off and before the next ones come on.

It's more likely that you will have to change planes. Just line up for the next flight according to your new number. If your incoming flight is late, get in line as close to your boarding number as feasible. They typically won't delay boarding or departure just for one passenger.

At any rate, your boarding number only gets you ONTO the flight, not to any particular seat. Where you actually end up sitting is a matter between you and you fellow travelers. If someone is already sitting where you want, maybe you can convince them to move, or else you can find somewhere else to sit. Or not, it's your choice.

Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Allan38103
When you have a trip that includes at least one connection, your single check-in covers all subsequent segments (even if they are more than 24 hours away).

If your next segment happens to be on the same aircraft, you are already on the correct plane and you can move to any available seat when the passengers get off and before the next ones come on.

It's more likely that you will have to change planes. Just line up for the next flight according to your new number. If your incoming flight is late, get in line as close to your boarding number as feasible. They typically won't delay boarding or departure just for one passenger.

At any rate, your boarding number only gets you ONTO the flight, not to any particular seat. Where you actually end up sitting is a matter between you and you fellow travelers. If someone is already sitting where you want, maybe you can convince them to move, or else you can find somewhere else to sit. Or not, it's your choice.

Thank you for your very helpful post. Much appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.