Wiki Posts
Search

Lounges at DAL?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Lounges at DAL?

I'm looking booking a SW flight with a long layover thru DAL. I have PP Select but I can't find any lounges at DAL - is that true? Are there other options?

What do SW frequent flyers do on their layovers there?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
There are no lounges at DAL, and SW terminals generally do not have one available (barring independent lounges in certain airports).
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Here's a useful thread for Priority Pass access to lounges when flying WN: Using Priority Pass when flying WN
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:06 am
Original Poster

So any decent restaurants? What do people do where are there frequently?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:18 am

Cantina Laredo for Mexican. I don't remember a whole lot about the quality: mostly that my wife asked a woman at an adjacent table about her lipstick: turns out she sells the lipstick and related products, and my wife became a big customer of hers.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:25 am
Original Poster

LOL - the Amway lifestyle: How to turn drinks at airport bars during vacation into a tax deduction.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Cool River is one of the better spots to eat, but can be expensive.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:11 am
RJ1

These are not really restaurants, but...

Being a former resident, I enjoy having a Whataburger.

The pizzas and sandwiches at Campisi's are pretty good.

And, there's a La Madeleine (Country French - salads, sandwiches).
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:46 am

Surely there is enough well-heeled (and connecting) traffic there to support an independent lounge; are there any plans to add one? Lounges keep popping up at many other similarly-sized or smaller WN-dominated airports. It seemed bizarre to me that they built a whole new terminal recently with no lounges.
bbriscoe34 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
DAL has a Stephan Pyles outpost and is generally a pleasant place to be. It's no HOU, which has superior Pappas options. But way better than places like MSY.

Before I trash MSY too hard, the new(ish) Dooky Chase's is pretty good, but outside the notoriously bad and inefficient MSY TSA
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold; WN A-List Pref., CP; Marriott Plat.
Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
So any decent restaurants? What do people do where are there frequently?
Love Field is my home airport, let me help you out:

Sit down restaurants:

Best - Sky Canyon - by one of our local high-end chefs, Stephan Pyles. If time permits, this is what I would recommend. Southwestern American. Brisket Tacos & a Texas Two-Step is my meal of choice when delayed.

Good - Cool River - open air concept, with TVs if there is a game to watch. American fare, drinks. This is my back up if Sky Canyon has a wait.

Catina Laredo - mid-range Mexican chain. Only if you are in the mood for Mexican food.

Avoid the others.

Fast restaurants.

Campisi's - local pizza and Italian family restaurant chain. Almost never has a line due to traveler's unfamiliarity with the name. Good stuff.

Whataburger - when in Texas and you want a burger. Here you go.

Avoid the rest (no slight to Chick-fil-a here, but, I try to eat something local when traveling).

Enjoy your stay.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:13 pm

How long a connection are we talking here? DAL is only 10-15 minutes out of the heart of the city, and getting through security there is a breeze if you have PreCheck.

May be worth it leaving the airport for a bit if you have 3-4 hours, especially if it's not rush hour.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I consider this one of the best airports, that I fly to, to spend time in. Lots of outstanding restaurants. You will have trouble deciding where not to eat. Relatively comfortable seats throughout the terminal with multiple outlets at every third seat. Large and clean. Corners with few people and quiet.

I don't do airport lounges, but I'm not sure what you will find in the lounge that you cannot find in this airport.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
I don't do airport lounges, but I'm not sure what you will find in the lounge that you cannot find in this airport.
Free food? Free booze?
bbriscoe34 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Free is good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.