Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Website books ticket without any confirmation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

This after noon I was attempting to make a reservation using some soon to expire travel funds. When I attempted to apply travel funds to the flight I had selected the website immediately purchased the ticket using the default credit card and took me to the confirmation page.

Normally the site would show the travel funds that were applied and ask how you wanted to pay the remainder of the ticket. or if there were sufficient travel funds ask for confirmation before purchasing the ticket.

That didn't happen in this case.

The website also refused to cancel the ticket so I called in and had Southwest do it. At first I thought I had done something wrong so after cancelling the ticket I tried again with the same result, including an error on cancelling the ticket. I called Southwest and had them cancel the second reservation. I gave up for today.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:58 pm

Perhaps a dumb question, but did you click the "Apply Funds" button after entering the confirmation number and passenger name in the Travel Funds section?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:18 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
When I make a reservation I sometimes hit the Enter key rather than Tab to advance to the next field. If I am in the middle of applying funds this has the result of immediately purchasing the ticket without applying the funds.

This happened often enough that I decided to change my default payment method to a defunct credit card. Now any purchase will fail unless I manually change the payment method. This is inconvenient but foolproof.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
When I make a reservation I sometimes hit the Enter key rather than Tab to advance to the next field. If I am in the middle of applying funds this has the result of immediately purchasing the ticket without applying the funds.

This happened often enough that I decided to change my default payment method to a defunct credit card. Now any purchase will fail unless I manually change the payment method. This is inconvenient but foolproof.
I have delayed removal of an expired credit card for exactly this reason. Except for me, instead of my hitting the enter button, I'm working on a touchscreen that likes to jump around as the page loads. Same results, and the expired card has saved my butt several times that I've noticed.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

That is what I thought happened the first time. The second I was very carefol and definately only clicked on the Apply Funds button.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:41 pm

When I wanted to refare today with a cancellation and new booking, the system would not let me cancel, until I went into an incognito window. I then had no problem cancelling and making a new reservation.

The system has been especially glitchy over the past week, or so, with lots of error messages. However, the private window has been error-free.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:30 am
Original Poster

I noticed something else on the website. If you are logged into your account and you click on "Change flight"to "refare" the website now shows you the fare your paid for a particular flight, not the current lowest fare. Since I was trying to replace one ticket with another for the same flight perhaps that's what triggered the purchase. It's still a bad bug.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:46 am

I'm pretty much beyond fed up with the website right now. I have no doubt that the website did exactly what you described - I'm only surprised it went through twice in a row without an error. I can't conduct multiple transactions even in incognito mode, I have to close the window and start again each time.

If it weren't for CP and the load of points I have with them, I'd likely stop spending the extra time to check WN - I can book anything else straight from Google Flights. I like WN quite a lot, but the hassles I deal with when booking, refaring, and cancelling are making me question that loyalty.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:42 pm

The website is a disaster. A pathetic, error-message-filled joke. A frustrating waste of time, whose only redeeming quality is that it's forced me to book on other carriers, thus discovering cheaper fares a now-majority of the time.

Seriously. I know I complain about WN frequently, but W T actual F.

Hey, "listening center." ARE YOU LISTENING?
Attached Images  
joshua362 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.