Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Fast track to A-List status for California flyers with status on another US carrier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fast track to A-List status for California flyers with status on another US carrier

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:24 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

I received an email today offering me A-list status for the rest of 2017 if I had status on another US carrier.

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapid...tus_match.html

I submitted my data and have now received the upgrade. I have to fly 6 one way flights before the end of 2017 in order to receive the status for 2018. These cannot be flights that are already booked.

For those who know Southwest better, what is their motivation to offer this to Californians?
rasheed and HappyCoachFlyer like this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I received an email today offering me A-list status for the rest of 2017 if I had status on another US carrier.

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapid...tus_match.html

I submitted my data and have now received the upgrade. I have to fly 6 one way flights before the end of 2017 in order to receive the status for 2018. These cannot be flights that are already booked.

For those who know Southwest better, what is their motivation to offer this to Californians?
Our wise friend NSX is the intra-California expert, but presumably motivation is at least partially to make DL/UA/AA margins suffer (or at least think they're suffering). While loyalty to the Legacies is generally strong, Southwest will be happy to chew on any scraps they happen to pull off the collective carcasses of the big guys.

Given the volume of business out that way, it certainly seems like there is "plenty for all" (at least in the current economy). Legacy loyalists will be along here at any moment to remind us that Southwest doesn't have Clubs/Lounges, First Class or long-haul International Service. Ok.

-----
And although slightly OT, while you're "here".... thank you very much SanDiego1Kfor all that you've done and all that you do to make FT what it is!
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:12 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

And here we have it:

http://crankyflier.com/2017/08/31/so...of-california/
steved5480 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Let me add a big appreciation for sharing this promo on the same day it started. It was not sent to me, but I can guess why (one of those CP without A+ RR members). I was able to get confirmed for the promo by following the instructions on the linked web page. Like others, I have a trip already booked that would be too expensive to rebook, but I hope I can find 3 new r/t trips in the next 3.5 months.

Summarizing, this offer is not targeted to email recipients like almost every other deal as Southwest wants to hit all the Californians hard. Reminder of the qualification requirements:

To be eligible to receive complimentary promotional A-List status, the Member must (a) be a resident in the state of California; (b) be an elite status member on another domestic airline; (c) submit proof of his or her other current airline elite card or statement, name, and Rapid Rewards account number and all of the foregoing must be verified by Southwest Airlines®.
You must use the special email link on the webpage in the OP which has a format for the email contents when you click on it (browser default email can be set to whatever mail tool you like including webmails).

Rasheed
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:01 pm
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold
I'm less familiar with the rest of California, but if SAN is any indicator, Alaska has started going after Southwest on routes where they had little (Frontier/Spirit) to no competition before--SMF, AUS, MCI, MCO, BWI, ABQ. I think this all happened in the last year.

They're gonna need more gates if they keep it up: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ci...san-diego.aspx
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:35 pm

Was able to successfully sign up, this plus companion pass will make for a lot of WN flying in 2018.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:28 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
WN could practically be considered an intra-CA airline (albeit based on TX), with many flights between the 5 LA area airports (plus SAN), and the 3 Bay Area airports (plus SMF). Granted, they don't fly every combination between NorCal/SoCal, but they offer a lot more than any of the legacies, or even the other LCCs, which for the most part offer direct service between only 1-2 airports each in NorCal and SoCal. Personally as someone who has to fly between the Bay Area and LGB/ONT/SNA pretty regularly, I like that WN gives me lots of options to choose from (and that I can avoid the traffic getting in/out of LAX!).
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Who does WN consider as California residents though?

Consider someone who:

a. Is a non-US citizen.

b. Is based in CA 133 days and PA 111 days so far this year

c. Expects to spend most of the rest of the year in PA, but both CA and PA could still possibly reach 183 days.

d. Has residence in both CA and PA.

e. Has DL issued by PA.

f. Stayed in CA >183 days last year.

Edit: Apparently non-citizens can't be legal California residents. But will WN deny me because of my citizenship?

Last edited by jacobguo; Sep 1, 2017 at 5:58 pm
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I imagine they wouldn't look too deep into it. Maybe something as simple as a utility bill from a CA address in your name. And an explanation that you have dual residences if they ask for your DL. You have nothing to lose by trying. Just got to convince a clerk on the other side of an email. Go for it!
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:21 pm

Processed for me in under 24 hours. Poor planning last year meant I finished with 23 paid flights, so it's nice to get A-list back. And there's still plenty of time (and cheap fall flights) left to get the 6 paid legs to requalify. It'll definitely make flying Southwest a more attractive option going forward.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jacobguo
Who does WN consider as California residents though?

Consider someone who:

a. Is a non-US citizen.

b. Is based in CA 133 days and PA 111 days so far this year

c. Expects to spend most of the rest of the year in PA, but both CA and PA could still possibly reach 183 days.

d. Has residence in both CA and PA.

e. Has DL issued by PA.

f. Stayed in CA >183 days last year.

Edit: Apparently non-citizens can't be legal California residents. But will WN deny me because of my citizenship?

For these promos WN goes by:

Credit card billing address, plus

WN profile address not changed within the past 14 days prior to announcement of promo
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thanks for the link!

Looks like priority boarding is the main perk here? I guess also same-day standby if you're not buying full fares.

I'll probably do this as the convenience of OAK sometimes outweighs my dislike of flying the bus.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Interestingly I got a different California-targeted offer in my account today. Perhaps because I'm already A-List?

California, say Yes to bonus points.

Details:
Earn 20% bonus points with your Rapid Rewards® Credit Card

Register to earn up to 20,000 bonus points this year. Points that post to your Rapid Rewards® account between September 1, 2017 and November 30, 2017 under the category of “Credit Card” will be eligible for a 20% bonus up to 20,000 bonus points
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Interestingly I got a different California-targeted offer in my account today. Perhaps because I'm already A-List?

California, say Yes to bonus points.

Details:
Earn 20% bonus points with your Rapid Rewards® Credit Card

Register to earn up to 20,000 bonus points this year. Points that post to your Rapid Rewards® account between September 1, 2017 and November 30, 2017 under the category of “Credit Card” will be eligible for a 20% bonus up to 20,000 bonus points
Got it also...A+, CP.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
For these promos WN goes by:

Credit card billing address, plus

WN profile address not changed within the past 14 days prior to announcement of promo
is that actually the rule? I had half a mind to set up a CA PO box but if they actually check for stuff like that I won't even bother

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.