Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Fast track to A-List status for California flyers with status on another US carrier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fast track to A-List status for California flyers with status on another US carrier

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
For these promos WN goes by:

Credit card billing address, plus

WN profile address not changed within the past 14 days prior to announcement of promo
The second rule here did not apply to my match so if you have a CA address you can use, give it a try. Worst they'll say is no.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by steved5480
Legacy loyalists will be along here at any moment to remind us that Southwest doesn't have Clubs/Lounges, First Class or long-haul International Service. Ok.
Nah, I like reading the WN forum. I find it more interesting than the AA, DL, or UA forums. Besides, why tell you something you already know?

For intra-CA WN can't be beat. The companion pass is un-matched.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:18 pm

Thanks for this post! Questions for you guys:

1) Anyone get the match with JetBlue Mosaic? Not sure if that's "elite" (but I think all they have??")
2) Once you get "approved", for the three roundtrips you need by the end of the year --- do they need to be booked AFTER you get approved, or is it ok that you already had existing flights?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:45 am

I was able to get matched for this offer with a recently changed CA address on file and the promotional jetblue mosaic status ending in December that originally came from WN credit card companion pass
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Mine confirmed in three days (Monday to Thursday). GF got hers a day earlier, though she applied after me.

Confirm e-mail specifically says that previously booked flights will not count toward the challenge.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:57 am

Ok this seriously blows:

We appreciate your efforts to collect the required documentation for the California status match promotion (and your nice note about your LUV for Southwest!). A review of your account and documentation indicates you are ineligible for the promotion due to the following reason:

· Current A-List Status – Our records indicate that you currently have A-List status through 12/31/2017. As this promotion serves to expedite the earning of A-List, your account is not eligible for enrollment.

We appreciate your loyalty and are glad that you are enjoying the perks of your A-List status. We look forward to seeing you on a Southwest® flight soon.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by braddqq
Ok this seriously blows:
AFAIK, that's how all status matches/challenges work - you can't currently have the status you're trying to match to/challenge for.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
California A-List Status Match is here for you!

Not sure if anyone else got the same email from Southwest? Could be a targeted offer. Anyways I clicked on the "register now" link, filled in my name, RR # and attached a screenshot of my Alaska MVP Gold account header.

5 minutes later I got a congrats email. Logged into Southwest and saw that I'm now A-List till end of 2017. Some additional datapoints:

My Total SWA flights in 2017 - 15
My Total SWA points in 2017 - 20,947. 12,000 of those are from a last minute business select fare to/from SJC and MDW.

Here's the text of the email I received yesterday:

LAINYS we've got California love for you. That's why we're giving you A-List status through the rest of 2017 when you provide proof of your status on another domestic carrier.

Oh, and we're not stopping there. Once you receive your A-List status match, fly three round trips (or six one-ways) by December 15, 2017, and we will extend your A-List status another 12 months through December 31, 2018. Score!

Pretty sweet, right? Let's take off together and head for A-List status.
Register now

T&Cs specifically spell out that the qualifying 3 round trips (or 6 OW) must be booked after you register and be flown before Dec 15th to extend A-List till end of 2018

Last edited by lainys; Sep 15, 2017 at 8:20 pm Reason: typo correction
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:58 am
Original Member

Unhappy

Ok...mine my email congrats, took an hour and half!

Last edited by sggolf; Sep 18, 2017 at 11:54 am
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:01 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

I used the A list benefit of standing by for an earlier flight yesterday and was really happy to have it. There are two nonstop RNO-SAN flights a day. I booked the evening flight some months back. It was 3K points and the morning flight was 11K. That's a significant delta for 2 passengers. But as I worked out our schedule I knew I'd want to take the morning flight and was thinking about rebooking. Then I got A-list status. I decided to gamble and stand by rather than spending the extra points. It almost bit me as the flight completely sold out. We were extremely fortunate and got the two last seats on the plane.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I used the A list benefit of standing by for an earlier flight yesterday and was really happy to have it. There are two nonstop RNO-SAN flights a day. I booked the evening flight some months back. It was 3K points and the morning flight was 11K. That's a significant delta for 2 passengers. But as I worked out our schedule I knew I'd want to take the morning flight and was thinking about rebooking. Then I got A-list status. I decided to gamble and stand by rather than spending the extra points. It almost bit me as the flight completely sold out. We were extremely fortunate and got the two last seats on the plane.
Did the second on your itinerary have A-List as well?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:32 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Originally Posted by esdot
Did the second on your itinerary have A-List as well?
Yes, he does.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got one of these emails today but it's going into the trash.

The one main thing for which I use my legacy airline status is free access to exit row or other extra-legroom seats. But at Southwest, status doesn't give you that (nor do higher fares or extra charges for early boarding), because:
So I'll stick with my legacy carriers for the most part, thank you, instead of wasting time on a status match (which I probably won't get to use before it expires, because I fly Southwest so rarely these days).

If Southwest wants people like me to take their status seriously, they have to either adopt assigned seating or stop having so many flights with through passengers already on the plane when you board or figure out some way to not let through passenger change seats before the new passengers board.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I got one of these emails today but it's going into the trash.

The one main thing for which I use my legacy airline status is free access to exit row or other extra-legroom seats. But at Southwest, status doesn't give you that (nor do higher fares or extra charges for early boarding), because:
So I'll stick with my legacy carriers for the most part, thank you, instead of wasting time on a status match (which I probably won't get to use before it expires, because I fly Southwest so rarely these days).

If Southwest wants people like me to take their status seriously, they have to either adopt assigned seating or stop having so many flights with through passengers already on the plane when you board or figure out some way to not let through passenger change seats before the new passengers board.
I'm actually glad to see someone I respect highly reference that thread/issue - we sort of jumped on the guy because we all know full well that there are very few 'particularly desirable' seats on WN, and even buying BS on an originating flight doesn't guarantee one of them. You're practically guaranteed to get your choice of aisle or window, even if you're booking late in the game, but extra legroom isn't something you can expect on WN. With assigned seating, you have the option of choosing a different flight if there isn't a suitable seat available - absolutely no way to do that on Southwest, and I'd rather folks in your position recognize that and avoid WN accordingly.

I'm a big WN fan myself, and think the A-List free standby perk brings them into line with the best domestic offerings - but I say that from my height of five foot nothing. I can completely understand why taller folk can't make it work for them. As much as I appreciate the CP, I don't know if we'd be able to be loyal to WN if my other half were any taller than he is.

Back a little more on topic, I met several people on recent trips that were taking additional trips because of this offer - it seems California is going to be elite heavy on WN for awhile! They also were doing some cute 'we love California' stuff - handing out flags and chocolate, cheering for California, and the like. Definitely waging a (friendly?) war for the turf!
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by jacobguo
Edit: Apparently non-citizens can't be legal California residents.
Really?

I am not a US citizen, have a CA DL and pay CA taxes on my worldwide income. If I am not a legal CA resident then I have paid way too much CA taxes. Trust me I would rather not pay CA taxes.

BTW I am a CPA who specializes in taxes. I do not advise you to say you read on FT you cannot be a legal CA resident and therefore you are not going to pay any CA taxes on non-CA sourced income.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.