Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Boarding Started 45 Minutes Before Departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond

On Saturday morning I had an 8:30am flight from LAX to MDW. I had A20 boarding position from Gate 15. I was sitting at the California Pizza Kitchen and just looked on my phone and saw that the flight was already boarding at 7:45. When I got the gate (short walk from CPK) they were already boarding A30-60.
I asked the GA why they started boarding earlier than the normal half hour and she said that it was because they were ready with FA's and pilots, she also said that she announced the flight on PA system but I did not hear it sitting at a restaurant not far away.
How common is boarding at 30 minutes + before departure? I have never experienced this before.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Not recent, but in the past it happened to me several times. Now I go to the gate immediately after clearing TSA to check and see if the plane is there, unloaded, etc. If it is, then I stay in the area. Kind of sucks if you paid for EB, but I never do, so it doesn't usually affect me much.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
They've starting boarding early since acquiring 800s about three years ago. It probably does take longer than 30 mins to complete the process in an 800 especially at a station with many pre-boarders, but one would think that earlier time could be reflected on the BP.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
I'd say ~10% for me. It's annoying but it happens. Still less annoying to me when GA's let their friends board after preboard and they hold their BPs without scanning till some later point. Yet another reason why They need to somehow do better at enhancing benefits of BS.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
WN only boards earlier than T-30 when the aircraft is ready to go, e.g. crew onboard, safety & security checks done. No way to predict in advance, but when they can get everyone on prior to scheduled departure, just like other carriers, WN will push early.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:47 pm

I'm seeing it more and more, on the 800s.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
It is becoming more common on the 800's especially on weekends...takes that much longer to get that many unseasoned travelers loaded.

Yes, I just profiled weekend travelers...trust me, the GA and FA's know it too!
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
This wouldn't be quite as big of an issue if, like delta's, the wn app had a notification when boarding begins.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Juanefny
This wouldn't be quite as big of an issue if, like delta's, the wn app had a notification when boarding begins.
I have seen the notification once or twice.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by Putnik
I have seen the notification once or twice.
I have too...but it always feels like much more of and automatic timed notification and not triggered when boarding ACTUALLY starts.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
With delta, it starts when they start preboarding the aircraft. That would be plenty of notice to get over from a nearby spot to the gate IMO. Too bad they don't even consistently do that. I gotta say I'd be pretty upset if I got to the g ate 30-35 mins prior to departure and they are already way past my boarding position..
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It only matters on WN because if you would be among the first to board and you arrive 10 minutes into the process, WN could easily be at the mid-B's by that point.

Just another of the problems created by lack of seat assignments.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:55 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Only 12 posts until we got the thread to a seat
assignment discussion!

yes I've seen this on 738s as well. I usually get the boarding notification on the app but I think it usually appears after pre-boards when they board the A group. So it's helpful if you're in A30+ (approximately)
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
It only matters on WN because if you would be among the first to board and you arrive 10 minutes into the process, WN could easily be at the mid-B's by that point.

Just another of the problems created by lack of seat assignments.
The bigger 737 generations don't ease those concerns.

Wish there were comparative data on deplaning times within/among single-aisle fleets.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP, UA 1P
Originally Posted by LegalTender
The bigger 737 generations don't ease those concerns.

Wish there were comparative data on deplaning times within/among single-aisle fleets.
Southwest experimented with it in 2006: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5547637

It didn't save any time at all, and the customer feedback was generally negative about the change. They ended up scrapping it and going back with the unassigned seating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.