Wiki Posts
Search

Earning Companion Pass

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Earning Companion Pass

Hi Everyone--

I am looking at earning the companion pass for 18/19 and I was hoping someone could confirm a Q for me:

For both business and personal cards the bonus miles seem to kick in after you've completed necessary $$ purchases within 3 months of getting the card. In order to get my companion pass as soon as possible, is there any problem with applying for the card in November and making purchases so that I hit the necessary amount in January?

Just want to make sure Southwest/Chase counts the bonus miles in the month they are earned, not the month you apply for the card?

Lastly, from some limited research it seems that the business RR card is not covered under Chase's 5/24 rule--is that still correct?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by John Thornburgh
Hi Everyone--

I am looking at earning the companion pass for 18/19 and I was hoping someone could confirm a Q for me:

For both business and personal cards the bonus miles seem to kick in after you've completed necessary $$ purchases within 3 months of getting the card. In order to get my companion pass as soon as possible, is there any problem with applying for the card in November and making purchases so that I hit the necessary amount in January?

Just want to make sure Southwest/Chase counts the bonus miles in the month they are earned, not the month you apply for the card?

Lastly, from some limited research it seems that the business RR card is not covered under Chase's 5/24 rule--is that still correct?
I applied last time in October of 2015 and completed my purchase requirements January 2nd, 2016. Earned it for 2016 and 2017.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: Southwest
Just be sure and make your final purchases in January 2018. I made the mistake of spending the final threshold $ late December 2016, giving me companion for 2016 & 2017. I wanted 2017 & 2018. I mistaking thought it was when you actually paid for those purchases. Not correct - it counts toward your threshold as soon as that card is swiped. Big mistake for me.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by zellchat
Just be sure and make your final purchases in January 2018. I made the mistake of spending the final threshold $ late December 2016, giving me companion for 2016 & 2017. I wanted 2017 & 2018. I mistaking thought it was when you actually paid for those purchases. Not correct - it counts toward your threshold as soon as that card is swiped. Big mistake for me.
It counts for when the statement closes, however people have had statement dates moved around so the super safe method if you are able to do it, is spend the 3k on Jan 1st. Some people have left a little charge then a fraud charge or mistake charge comes through pushing them over the threshold and it triggers the bonus points in the wrong statement. There is a whole discussion in this forum about how to maximize statement dates etc.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:10 pm

Interesting info guys.. Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: Southwest, SPG, Marriott, UR & Amex
meh, Id just make it to where the last of my spending is done in Mid- January or February...

Sacrificing the first one or two months of the year wont hurt vs the risks of nailing the timing for a full 24 month companion pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.