Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest announces solar eclipse flight schedule

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:07 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

Southwest Airlines announced that many of its regularly scheduled Aug. 21 flights may offer spectacular eclipse views. Its planners identified these routes with “greatest likelihood” of seeing the eclipse from the sky.:

Fight 1375, departing 9:05 a.m. from Seattle to St. Louis.

Flight 1368, departing 9:05 a.m. from Portland, Ore., to St. Louis.

Fight 1577, departing 10:30 a.m. from Denver to St. Louis.

Flight 301, departing 10:30 a.m. from Denver to Nashville.

Flight 1969, departing 9:50 a.m. from Denver to Atlanta

If you’re on one of those flights, Southwest will give you viewing glasses (the protective paper eyewear type) and souvenir while serving up “cosmic cocktails.”
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:44 pm

Crap, I listened to a USA TODAY story and bought Nashville - Charleston
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Flight 301, departing 10:30 a.m. from Denver to Nashville.

Flight 1969, departing 9:50 a.m. from Denver to Atlanta
These two flights fall mostly outside the totality path. Hopefully WN dispatchers will file a flight plan that will be north of a normal route for these flights numbers.
Even then WN301 needs to be early.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp
Crap, I listened to a USA TODAY story and bought Nashville - Charleston
Actually that is a very good route to capture the path of totality. The shadow of the moon takes 21 minutes to travel from BNA to CHS.

Hopefully you are on WN1559, which if on schedule should pass through the path of totality on the descent into CHS.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by Tanic
Actually that is a very good route to capture the path of totality. The shadow of the moon takes 21 minutes to travel from BNA to CHS.

Hopefully you are on WN1559, which if on schedule should pass through the path of totality on the descent into CHS.
That's the one, booked based on this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...iew/493343001/

Looks like the entire flight is in the path. Which side of the plane should I sit on, window seat A or F?

Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:37 am

I have to get to Raleigh that day from DEN, so I booked myself on the 301 from DEN to BNA. Leaves at 10:20. Hopefully they know what they're talking about and it works out. I have no idea which side to try and sit on either.
​​​​​​
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:01 am

Now I'm thinking the side is obvious; we want to face south, right? So seat F
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:21 am

And how do we figure out where WN1559 is coming from?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:27 am

Now I'm thinking the side is obvious; we want to face south, right? So seat F
Todays BNA-CHS flight plan

If the flight plan on the 21st is similar to this one, I would think the airplane's track will be slightly on the south side of eclipse centerline - so advantage A seat. Of course most of the moon's shadow will be well behind the airplane until the final minutes of the flight. I would think viewing the shadow on the ground would be almost as good as seeing the eclipsed sun.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:31 am

But won't the sun still be towards the south from anywhere in the US? The eclipse path is just where the view of the total eclipse is viewable, but the sun will still be in the south sky during the afternoon?

The sun won't be passing directly overhead in the total eclipse path, right?

Last edited by dmbolp; Aug 12, 2017 at 8:41 am
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:51 am

But won't the sun still be towards the south from anywhere in the US? The eclipse path is just where the view of the total eclipse is viewable, but the sun will still be in the south sky during the afternoon?

Good point, I was considering looking at the shadow on the ground. Back to seat F.

This might require a pre-departure visit to the flight deck to discuss importance of flying north of GSP and CAE.

And some well placed begging of ZTL ARTCC (Atlanta Center) too.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
I can only imagine the disputes there will be about "saving" seats on THIS flight.

Last edited by jerry305; Aug 12, 2017 at 1:23 pm
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M

I think it will be about at 60 degrees above the South horizon on most flights. That will not be an easy view for those who are not in window seats (on the correct side, and assuming a basically E/W flight).

You will not see a "shadow" as the effect spreads out gradually over 100s of miles. You will see an overall darkening.

If the skies stay clear, I will have a nice view here in ATL on the ground (about 96% of total).

EDIT:

Family saves 5 window seats on right side of flight 1375, one behind another :-)
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
What an eclipse looks like from the air...(turn the volume down)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YBoa81xEvNA
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: united 1p, usair silver, nz gold, hilton gold, starwood gold
I'm taking the DEN to ATL flight.

Which side of the plane should I sit on? I paid an extra $50 for business select so I could have my choice of seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.