Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Compensation for late flight/missed connection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, United, Marriott, Avis

Due to multiple issues (not weather) my first flight was very late and I missed my connection. It was the last flight of the night so there were no others options until the following day.

Any chance I can get any compensation? My only receipt is for an Uber and I spent the night with a relative. No one was available to discuss at the gate.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:51 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
When my wife and I had a similar experience about 9 month ago, the gate agent who switched us to the new flights surprised us by handing each of us a $300 travel voucher. ^ Maybe because I wasn't complaining like a number of other folks were, not sure, but I didn't ask for it nor was I really expecting much more than a hotel room and a meal voucher for the evening.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
If you write them, Southwest will routinely give you a $200 LUV voucher if, in fact, this was not weather related
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An airline's policy for compensating customers affected by IRROPS should be clearly defined and strictly enforced. It should not be contingent on the customer's demeanor.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
An airline's policy for compensating customers affected by IRROPS should be clearly defined and strictly enforced. It should not be contingent on the customer's demeanor.
Found the guy who doesn't know how the real world works.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
They all want to save money.

FWIW - this is how EC261 works, which as a statutory compensation, you won't get it unless you ask for it.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:12 pm

You are asking for a strict rule in an infinitely variable situation. What rule would you suggest - I am sure that we can blow your rule up with reasonable hypothetical situations.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The rule is simple and clear and contained in the contract to which OP agreed. He is due nothing. Period.

The misnomer here is that WN will provide on request a customer service gesture which it is neither required to provide nor commits to providing.

If you want to be a stickler, you get exactly what you are due. Zippo.

Nobody suggested that demeanor was even an issue. OP apparently did not seek anything and he got nothing.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:15 pm

Does anything you just said have any relationship to reality?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
FWIW - this is how EC261 works, which as a statutory compensation, you won't get it unless you ask for it.
So the kvetchers at the gate have the same rights as the sheeple?

Brilliant!!
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by lougord99
Does anything you just said have any relationship to reality?
No.

But, before you post, you need to read the post to which it responds. The assertion was that there ought to be "strictly enforced policy." If that is what you want, my response is what you get.

If you are a pragmatist, you get a few funny money dollars from WN which you may use if you choose to fly it again.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:02 pm

if it is not weather related issue but accumulated delay as the plane hopped around the country during the day, does it make a difference?

It arrived at origin city an hour late and departed about 55 min late. Arrived at connecting city also 55 min late. Connection was scheduled at 45 min and hence connection was missed. That was last flight to final destination for the day.

q1. Does WN give you at least hotel voucher? or it also fall into category of how you ask or worse how much GA hates/likes your profile?

q2. If next day's flights are sold out, would WN protect you? are they require to protect you or that also fall under GA's choice?

q3. If another carrier has flights and seats are available, would WN put you on that flight or that never happens?

Last edited by desi; Jul 13, 2017 at 11:10 pm
Old Jul 14, 2017, 12:13 am

a1: Seldom. Possibly, but still uncommon.
a2: No. The GA can't magically make room on flights that are sold out.
a3: No, never.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
My wife had a 1-1 1/2 hour delay last fall on BOS-CMH (mechanical). She did not say anything, but the next day got a e-mail say she would be receiving a LUV voucher due to the delay. The next day a $100 voucher showed up in her e-mail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.