Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

About flying with Southwest, "saved seats" and sitting in them anyway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

About flying with Southwest, "saved seats" and sitting in them anyway?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by NWA777
This is what she told us at FLL. She advised to cancel our EBCI.
We're new to SW, so we're learning as we go.
SW does things different I notice than DL. (We usually fly DL).
So I guess we'll keep our EBCI? Based on what you (Kevin AA) say.
In a few weeks this will be our first time with SW
Again sorry for the silly question.
Absurd and wrong advice for a number of reasons, but off topic to this thread. You may want to read through this thread that I started a few days ago:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...-boarding.html
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: AMEX DL Reserve ✈ DL Diamond Medallion ✈ Marriott ✈ NWA
Thank you everyone for your information. We can't wait for our first experience with SW in 2 weeks.
I'm ending my questions re this topic. Have a good day everyone.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
We just came from SW at FLL Airport to make sure our carry on is the right size at SW.
I asked the ticketing person re EBCI at 36 hours out. She advised for me to call SW and get our money back due we could get A B or C boarding. It doesn't guarantee A seating.
It picks random sections and it's a waste of money.
Shall we cancel our EBCI?
Please advise on this EBCI.
I thank everyone so far whom answered my previous question.
Well she's right about it not guaranteeing A seating but as others have said you won't get a refund.

It doesn't pick random sections, it just saves you a spot in line ahead of people who don't purchase EBCI but behind groups such as A listers and A+, Business Select tickets, people who bought EBCI before you. Depending on how many of those there are you could end up with a B group boarding pass. Not sure I've ever heard of someone with EBCI getting a C group.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
We just came from SW at FLL Airport to make sure our carry on is the right size at SW.
I asked the ticketing person re EBCI at 36 hours out. She advised for me to call SW and get our money back due we could get A B or C boarding. It doesn't guarantee A seating.
It picks random sections and it's a waste of money.
Shall we cancel our EBCI?
Please advise on this EBCI.
I thank everyone so far whom answered my previous question.
You cannot get money back, and while technically you can get any boarding number A B C, it is not random. You get automatically put in a queue behind some people and ahead of others.

Whether it is a waste of money is a matter of opinion.

Kids, ask your Southwest questions here to get correct answers.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by justhere
Not sure I've ever heard of someone with EBCI getting a C group.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Thank you everyone for your information. We can't wait for our first experience with SW in 2 weeks.
I'm ending my questions re this topic. Have a good day everyone.
Do try & relax and have a great trip

Not picking on you but this could a case study for why so much anxiety for a 40 minute hop? c Is WN to blame with all the website warnings?

If your bags were too big, they would have checked them for free...

Definately come here first for all things WN.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:58 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
It's got to be a 737-800. Departing from MCO? Or else EBCI failed.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Holy cow, 121 people bought Business Select, are A-list, or bought EBCI before you?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by elevatorgeek
I wish we could get data from all A-Listers on a flight where there are many of them such as total spend, number of one-way flights in the past year, amount paid for this flight, etc. Then maybe we can solve this mystery.
FWIW, I'm almost always trying to get WGA flights, I only book one-ways and I'm rarely any further back than A-24 or so.

... and as always, I never stand in line, I get up and follow the end of my "cluster" onto the plane (essentially making me "A30/A60" and if I've gotten a last-minute ticket, "A61") and immediately go to the next-to-the-last row of the plane.

We should REALLY make a subgroup for WN that deals with people freaking out over seats (or create a MegaThread where @nsx just appends any thread with "seat" in the title to it )
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:48 am

A+, almost always A17-A21, stand in the 16-20 pen where often A20 is at the front of the pen due to the way the columns are numbers...why can't Southwest label it "20-16" on the right side of the columns, current numbering causes confusion/poaching in each of the 6 pens:

26-30, 21-25, 16-20, 11-15, 6-10, 1-5

Why not just number it:

30-26, 25-21, 20-16, 15-11, 10-6, 5-1

I head to the LUV seats, with or without my wife
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:47 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by dmbolp
.why can't Southwest label it "20-16" on the right side of the columns

Why not just number it:

That's brilliant!

Intra-CA flights have many A-listers. Since I pay the cheapest price ever offered on all my flights, I presume that I am the last of A-list preferred customers. On a peak hour flight I average A28-A32.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:00 am

A+ since the beginning, +/- 100 paid flights a year, mostly BS. Have received A16 on every award and non-BS flight for as long as I can remember. Gotta think the BP metric is related to spend.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dmbolp
A+, almost always A17-A21, stand in the 16-20 pen where often A20 is at the front of the pen due to the way the columns are numbers...why can't Southwest label it "20-16" on the right side of the columns, current numbering causes confusion/poaching in each of the 6 pens:

26-30, 21-25, 16-20, 11-15, 6-10, 1-5

Why not just number it:

I head to the LUV seats, with or without my wife
They are not at the front of the "pen" because that is the way it is numbered. They are there as it puts them four seats ahead of where they should be. If they are A-list, they know.

SEB's will have the odd look that indicates they are quite certain that they have received an undeserved gift.

BTW, I like the numbering suggestion, but I really think people will game the system even if that game involves only 4 line positions.

For those that say it is not a big deal, moving from A20 to A16 passes 20% of the non-preboard people ahead of them even if BS is completely full.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
SEB's will have the odd look that indicates they are quite certain that they have received an undeserved gift.
Not always true I had a flight last year I was A17 the guy in front of me had never flown SWA before and had no clue he got a great gift in A 16. I found this out because there were few if any BSs and he asked me about SWA boarding.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: Alaska, Shell VC, Wyndham VC, Starwood, RCI, II--I bought it on eBay!
This is a funny thread, started by someone who never, ever came back to it.

Oddly, there is a lot people have to say about seat saving. Me too. I have seen so many people pass by a seat when told it belongs to a spouse, child, friend, etc. Most of the people hunting for seats are in the front rows. So why not just go to the back of the plane and save that seat? Why plop down in rows 1-6 and expect everyone to pass by that prime seat in the front, simply because you were cheap to buy for two EB?

I think it's odd for one person to buy EB, then save a seat for another person. I know that if I did that, I would have a stranger sitting next to me, instead of my husband. That is because I KNOW the rules and cannot deny to myself or anyone else that I know the rules. It's not much more to pay for a second EBCI.

We buy EB for our flights, when we know we will have a tough time checking in 24 hours ahead. Otherwise, we take our chances at 24 hours ahead. When going to Orlando from Denver, I always get EB, because we aren't going to take the chance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.