Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Early Bird Check-In and International Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 8:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Quick question....

I just purchased an international itinerary with Southwest Airlines vacations.

At no point during the purchase online did I see the option to do Early Bird check-in.

After I booked the package online, I called Southwest reservations and paid for Early Bird check-in.

Then, looking online, I read:

"If your itinerary includes at least one international flight, online checkin is available at southwest.com as early as 24 hours and as late as 90 minutes before your flight’s scheduled departure time. Although your boarding position can be secured online, you must check-in at the Southwest Airlines Ticket Counter upon arrival at the airport to have your passport verified, to check luggage, and to receive your boarding pass."

So my question is: Does purchasing Early Bird check-in for international flights help? Or do I still need to check in 24 hours early?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by N702ML
Quick question....

I just purchased an international itinerary with Southwest Airlines vacations.

At no point during the purchase online did I see the option to do Early Bird check-in.

After I booked the package online, I called Southwest reservations and paid for Early Bird check-in.

Then, looking online, I read:

"If your itinerary includes at least one international flight, online checkin is available at southwest.com as early as 24 hours and as late as 90 minutes before your flight’s scheduled departure time. Although your boarding position can be secured online, you must check-in at the Southwest Airlines Ticket Counter upon arrival at the airport to have your passport verified, to check luggage, and to receive your boarding pass."

So my question is: Does purchasing Early Bird check-in for international flights help? Or do I still need to check in 24 hours early?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, EBCI works normally, even for international flights. You'll be automatically checked in.

When you arrive at the airport, you'll need to go to the ticket counter - they'll review your Passport Info and print your boarding pass, stamping it as necessary. Your boarding number will be determined by your EBCI placement.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:30 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I had no issues with EBCI last year with our trip to Aruba. And just last week I had no issues purchasing it for my November trip to Puerto Vallarta. The EBCI icon shows up just as it normally should on the reservation page (in the Extras column.)
Old May 30, 2017, 7:33 pm

I am flying Southwest for the first time (within US) and not buying Early bird check in. Do I have to check in online within 24 hours or can go to the counter for check-in before the flight? Thanks for reading.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Huy Tran
I am flying Southwest for the first time (within US) and not buying Early bird check in. Do I have to check in online within 24 hours or can go to the counter for check-in before the flight? Thanks for reading.
You can check-in as you say BUT Southwest has open seating, that is first to board get to pick the seat they want. The earlier you check-in the earlier the boarding position.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.