Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Flying on / after nex gen system cutover day (May 9)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying on / after nex gen system cutover day (May 9)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2017, 12:23 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Ah thanks for the reminder. I'm flying out of ONT next week 5/10 and was hoping to use the A-list free standby. Will play it by ear though and see how things work out on transition day. Hoping for the best, though ONT isn't a station with normal WN international traffic and I've never seen more than 2 agents at the ticket/checkin counter, so hoping that it won't get too backed up there...

Also waiting to see if they're going to be cautious and send the notice email message out to 5/10 flights. Got the same message as OP for a 5/9 itinerary (appreciate WN's proactiveness here!)
Old May 6, 2017, 4:39 am

I have an award flight NRT-DEN-STL on UA on the 9th. Originally I was left with a 7 hour layover at DEN so I booked an award flight DEN-STL on SW to give me about a 2 hour layover. Then UA opened up award availability for an earlier DEN-STL flight so I changed to that and canceled the SW ticket. I think I made the right choice, I don't know that I want to be flying Southwest on the 9th.

But then I'm flying Southwest the 14th. But that's a work trip, I won't be upset if there were to be a complete nuclear meltdown and that flight gets canceled
Old May 6, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by 737MAX8
I don't think it's going to be that big of a deal. All international flying has had it for years and even in stations without int'l (DAL for example) still check in pax for int'l itineraries. As most check in from home and such, I really don't think it will be that different from a normal day with just a few oddities here and there.
Somewhere here is a personal account of someone flying out of BWI internationally on day 1. IIRC, after 2 hours of trying they missed the flight and went home to try again another day.

A notice to print boarding passes at home when probably 90% already do is hardly inspiring and confident !
Old May 6, 2017, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by nsx
I can't recall seeing this degree of humility from a large public company. Except after the fact, which doesn't count.

^^^
I suppose one could see it that way.

I personally don't see any humility in the statement.

Travel notice
You're traveling during the launch of our next generation reservation system. While we don't expect any impacts to your journey, we recommend printing your boarding pass at home or downloading it in advance of arrival using our mobile app. We also recommend getting to the airport early if your schedule allows in order to ensure a smooth travel experience. We look forward to seeing you onboard soon!
I see:
Nothing will go wrong. But if it does, it's your fault for not printing your boarding pass at home and getting to the airport super early.

Seriously though, if they "don't expect any impacts to your journey" (impacts?) then why even sent the notice?

They expect impacts to your journey.
Old May 6, 2017, 11:29 am

Who knows what will happen, but the armchair quarterbacks mocking the advisory would likely be the first ones to squawk about WN not warning people if things go FUBAR and no preflight advisory sent.
Old May 6, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Who knows what will happen, but the armchair quarterbacks mocking the advisory would likely be the first ones to squawk about WN not warning people if things go FUBAR and no preflight advisory sent.
Well, of course I'd have something to say if they sent no warning and things go fubar.

Because, duh.

I'm mocking the language of the advisory. Not that they sent it.

As I said earlier:

On one hand, I'm glad that Southwest is actually proactively issuing warnings. On the other hand, I've never seen them do anything like this before, so I have to wonder what level of unease it took for them to actually do so.
Here again is the advisory:

Travel notice
You're traveling during the launch of our next generation reservation system. While we don't expect any impacts to your journey, we recommend printing your boarding pass at home or downloading it in advance of arrival using our mobile app. We also recommend getting to the airport early if your schedule allows in order to ensure a smooth travel experience. We look forward to seeing you onboard soon!
And here's how this "armchair quarterback" would have worded it:

Travel notice
You're traveling during the launch of our next generation reservation system. While we're confident things should go smoothly, you may experience delays or other unintended impact to your travel during this time. To help reduce any disruption, we recommend printing your boarding pass at home or downloading it in advance of arrival using our mobile app. We also recommend getting to the airport as early as possible if your schedule allows. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience you may experience, and ask for your patience during this transition. We look forward to seeing you onboard soon!
Seriously. This isn't rocket surgery.
Old May 6, 2017, 12:54 pm

At least we know it will be all hands on deck. Not saying nothing will happen, but they are prepared for the Sh-- hitting the fan which should make it easier when it does and a non issue when it doesn't.
Old May 6, 2017, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by fiuchris
In stations like LAX for example with existing international service, the agents suggested to me that May 9 will be a non-event there since the majority have been using Altea for a while.

Also as mentioned, there is a huge amount of extra staff that will be available to ease the transition.
It sounds like this is concern mainly with international flights, not domestic?

So if I'm flying domestic from LAX with no checked bags and printing boarding passes from home, the possible snafus on May 9th *should* be a nonevent for me? I am trying to sort out whether to switch my flight to Delta because I HAVE to be in JAX on May 9th.
Old May 7, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Originally Posted by flightfulbird
It sounds like this is concern mainly with international flights, not domestic?

So if I'm flying domestic from LAX with no checked bags and printing boarding passes from home, the possible snafus on May 9th *should* be a nonevent for me? I am trying to sort out whether to switch my flight to Delta because I HAVE to be in JAX on May 9th.
No, the exact opposite. Southwest is moving domestic flights to a new IT system that international flights have been operating on since Southwest started flying internationally. While there probably won't be technical issues with the new system on Tuesday, there will be about 90%+ of Southwest's workforce using a brand new system. Things like checking people in, upselling to BS, clearing standbys, and getting the flight out on time are all things these users will be doing for the "first" time on Tuesday--so I'd expect things to move a little more slowly.

If you have a longer layover, you're probably fine. If it's a 45 min connection, then I'd think about moving to DL if you must be in JAX on Tuesday.
Old May 7, 2017, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by fiuchris
As stated above by 737MAX8, the Altea system has been in production use for international itineraries for a while...

....I think the biggest hurdle is the unfamiliarity with the new system...

....In stations like LAX for example with existing international service, the agents suggested to me that May 9 will be a non-event there since the majority have been using Altea for a while.
Originally Posted by palmetto86
. . . Southwest is moving domestic flights to a new IT system that international flights have been operating on since Southwest started flying internationally. While there probably won't be technical issues with the new system on Tuesday, there will be about 90%+ of Southwest's workforce using a brand new system. Things like checking people in, upselling to BS, clearing standbys, and getting the flight out on time are all things these users will be doing for the "first" time on Tuesday--so I'd expect things to move a little more slowly.

If you have a longer layover, you're probably fine. If it's a 45 min connection, then I'd think about moving to DL if you must be in JAX on Tuesday.

So it sounds like scheduled flights will go out - with the understanding that there could be delays getting them out and pax should beware of longer checkin times and close connections...?

I did not get the email that lougord99 did - would Southwest have sent this advance notice to all pax they thought might be affected?

Because my flight on Tuesday 9th is out of LAX - one stop with no aircraft change at ATL - through to JAX ! Later arrival into JAX is no problem.

I think I might be safe on this one - thoughts?
Old May 7, 2017, 8:49 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by flightfulbird
I think I might be safe on this one - thoughts?
Looks good to me. As a general rule, a crisis foreseen is a crisis averted.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:27 am

5/9/17 Amadeus Cutover

Very interesting reading:

https://skift.com/2017/05/08/southwest-airlines-poised-for-big-move-to-amadeus-reservations-system/

Going to be an interesting week, hope for the best!
Old May 8, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
I'm traveling tomorrow too, nonstop luckily, and I got that email too. I thought it was pretty cryptic and almost pointless since they recommend following those procedures during normal times. I'll be sure to obtain my BP right at T-24 today though!
Old May 8, 2017, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by palmetto86
No, the exact opposite. Southwest is moving domestic flights to a new IT system that international flights have been operating on since Southwest started flying internationally. While there probably won't be technical issues with the new system on Tuesday, there will be about 90%+ of Southwest's workforce using a brand new system. Things like checking people in, upselling to BS, clearing standbys, and getting the flight out on time are all things these users will be doing for the "first" time on Tuesday--so I'd expect things to move a little more slowly.

You have a lot more faith in WN IT than I do.

The new system works, but right now, it handles what, maybe 5% of their total flights? Now they're asking it to do 100% overnight. I sure as hell hope it can scale up and they don't have any capacity issues. Hopefully they did plenty of stress testing and threw some beefier servers at it.

If the decision were up to me, I'd slowly ramp up - start with flights originating from a few smaller airports, then bring a hub or two online if that goes well, and go from there. I guess that wasn't technically feasible.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jco613
At least we know it will be all hands on deck. Not saying nothing will happen, but they are prepared for the Sh-- hitting the fan which should make it easier when it does and a non issue when it doesn't.
I doubt they are asking corporate folks to help at the call center, or shuttling them en masse to airports to help the airport workers due to the extra work.

Historically, media coverage and an actual meltdown to put this in motion.

I can tell you from recent WN int'l experience that there are numerous agents at airports that don't have nonstop int'l service that are completely clueless when it comes to any issue with the new system. Their internal helpdesk can help, but a simple checkin issue took two agents and their helpdesk 90min (with nobody behind me able to be helped by those workers).

If today or tomorrow is complicated by weather, cancellations, or missed connections requiring an overnight and reticket the next day, things will get interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.