Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Daylight Savings Time start / end: confusing effects on OLCI window

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Daylight Savings Time start / end: confusing effects on OLCI window

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp
"Fall Back"...Last Sunday in NOV when DST ends...same time but T-25 (since the additional hour)...they confused the Fall process with the Spring process
Quite possibly. And they've been confused more than just this time, apparently.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Ok I am flying out Sunday from PHX but right now I am in Vegas, which will be an hour time difference on Sunday but same time as Vegas right now

Travel alert ion app says we can check in 23 hrs prior to flight not 24 which I find odd

Anyway if my flight is 750pm PHX time what time can I check in Pacific time?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:04 pm

I'd say to try all possibilities, and maybe your flight is late enough that people with PHX departures will report earlier. Right now there's an alert on the Southwest site:
If you are traveling on Sunday, November 5, you must wait until 23 hours prior to your flights scheduled departure to check in and receive your boarding pass. See you onboard soon!
I've gone back and forth on this, but I think they have it wrong. Is it, like apparently in spring, "the time on the clock Saturday is the same as departure time Sunday," at least in places going off DST? Let's say my flight is at 7 a.m. Sunday, and in these DST days, that's the time of sunrise in my area. But on Sunday that will be an hour after sunrise. Putting it another way, the hour between 2 and 3 a.m. happens twice. The true T-24 would be at 8 a.m. Saturday (an hour after sunrise), but if checkin opens at 7, isn't that really T-25? T-23 at 9 a.m.?

It may need to be determined what happens for Arizona and some international locations not doing DST.

Last edited by rove312; Nov 3, 2017 at 9:51 pm Reason: Think I had it wrong as first posted.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:58 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by john398
Anyway if my flight is 750pm PHX time what time can I check in Pacific time?
PHX is always on MST. The notice from WN should exclude PHX & TUS.

You want to check in on Saturday at 19:50 MST. Which on Saturday is also 19:50 PDT.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Tanic
PHX is always on MST. The notice from WN should exclude PHX & TUS.

You want to check in on Saturday at 19:50 MST. Which on Saturday is also 19:50 PDT.
thanks that makes sense
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Would be interesting to see what happened with this if WN ever had a flight taking off between 2-3 am on Daylight Savings Days.

IT department would explode.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:54 am

Although I should correct myself: it's the 1-2 a.m. hour that happened twice this morning. So any reports: did "23 hours prior" mean the time on the clock, meaning 24 hours prior in real time?
john398 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: none
Anyone understand the concept of UTC/GMT? (I.E. Greenwich time) World time zones vs. local time?

Airlines, the military, and other industries that operate across multiple time zones use a single "world" time, rather than a local reference, precisely because of this daylight vs. standard issue.

Find out the UTC of when the flight departs, then check in 24 hours earlier, regardless of what the clock says at any particular location. (By the way, this works equally well both in the Spring AND Fall)
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by Allan38103
Anyone understand the concept of UTC/GMT? (I.E. Greenwich time) World time zones vs. local time?

Airlines, the military, and other industries that operate across multiple time zones use a single "world" time, rather than a local reference, precisely because of this daylight vs. standard issue.

Find out the UTC of when the flight departs, then check in 24 hours earlier, regardless of what the clock says at any particular location. (By the way, this works equally well both in the Spring AND Fall)
Southwest interally use #HERBTIME
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: none
Is HERBTIME the same as UTC? If not, does it change twice a year?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:48 pm

The first 30+ posts of this thread, relating to the March time change, would indicate that on those dates check-in opened according to the time on the clock, which was T-23 UTC where DST is observed.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Allan38103
Is HERBTIME the same as UTC? If not, does it change twice a year?
I believe HERBTIME is the time in DAL so it should change twice a year
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:03 pm

OMG. Every year, same thing. Does anyone at Southwest even know how Daylight Saving Time affects their systems?

A few days ago, they posted a Travel Advisory that said:

Daylight Saving Time Begins
If you are traveling on Sunday, March 11, 2018, you must wait until 23 hours prior to your flight’s scheduled departure to check in and receive your boarding pass. See you onboard soon!
Now, the Travel Advisory says:

Daylight Saving Time Begins
If you are traveling on Sunday, March 11, 2018, please be aware that the Daylight Savings Time change will begin in some areas of the United States. See you onboard soon!
A previously posted Facebook update that reflected the former message appears to have been deleted.

Has anyone flying tomorrow tried checking in today yet, and can provide some actual info?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by ursine1
A previously posted Facebook update that reflected the former message appears to have been deleted.
Customers departing PHX and TUS who follow WN's instructions would get poor boarding positions since the "T-23" advice does not apply to those stations. There's even a news story that relays the bad advice https://www.azcentral.com/story/trav...kin/405213002/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.