Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

A-List Standby is free for ANY earlier flight starting March 8, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A-List Standby is free for ANY earlier flight starting March 8, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I always priunt 2 anyway, even if they took it I'd still have one.
If the system cancels your BP, having a spare re-enacts?

Never knew that.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:03 pm

I always priunt 2 anyway, even if they took it I'd still have one.
Originally Posted by LegalTender
If the system cancels your BP, having a spare re-enacts?

Never knew that.
It does if you priunt it
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Last night, I asked for stand-by on a flight. My bag was put on that flight as I requested. The flight went out full without me and my original boarding pass at A-31 worked fine on my originally scheduled flight. This was worth it simply so that I didn't have to wait for my bags when I got to MDW, but the agent who said you loose your original routing is definitely wrong.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Heads up for everyone:

I'd booked the last flight out (of SAN, FWIW) last night, but got to the airport sooner than expected, so tried to take the 2nd-from-last flight back. But SAN has "fake Pre-Check" so the security line took longer than normal (for me, anyway) and I got caught in the purgatory between "being cleared for a SB" and "having the door close before I got there", which means (1) I was now considered a no-show for my (new) flight, and (2) as I'd been successfully reassigned onto that (new) flight I'd lost my original reservation.

So I get to the gate for the next-from-last flight and try and get on the SB list for that one. For "some reason" they couldn't get me on the list, but they realized what had happened at the previous gate, and got me on the SB list for that flight. But this flight went out full and I didn't make it. So when trying to get my BP for the last flight, (another) desk agent told me "You don't have to do anything here, not making your SB means you've still got your original reservation", but I remembered the whole "no show" remarks from the other desk agent, and yup, I wasn't on the last flight out (my original).

Had I not caught it (and been lucky it was a 738, I had a C-4X BP # and eventually went out very full) I very well may have been stuck in SAN last night. Be warned.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:07 pm

So get on the standby list after clearing TSA, right?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp
So get on the standby list after clearing TSA, right?
That's just it- I HAD, but in the ~10 seconds between "getting my new BP from the desk agent" (SAN T1 G1/1A) and "going over to my gate" (SAN T1 G2) the G2 GA had taken what he'd thought was his last BP, gone inside the jetway and closed the door (and presumably the flight). I waited for him to come back but he told me it was too late when he did.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
So I have a 5:30 pm flight tomorrow night. I want to standby for an earlier flight but they all show as "sold out" on their website. Do you guys pretty much not even try if that's what is showing or is there a way to see the real loads?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Juanefny
So I have a 5:30 pm flight tomorrow night. I want to standby for an earlier flight but they all show as "sold out" on their website. Do you guys pretty much not even try if that's what is showing or is there a way to see the real loads?
You can call and they will give you an idea. Are seats availible for a higher fare or are all fare classes sold out? If the latter they are probably really sold out. You could go to the airport and hope for no shows.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:22 pm

You can call and they will give you an idea. Are seats availible for a higher fare or are all fare classes sold out? If the latter they are probably really sold out. You could go to the airport and hope for no shows.
One of them just became open for "anytime and business select". Do you stand by at the checkin desk or at the gate once you enter and go through security with the boarding pass for later?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:26 pm

It's been my experience the Check-In agents generally can't/won't put you on the SB list (that being said, I did get cleared for SB once from CI, but I think he was just doing me a solid and manually reticketed me onto a non-full flight).

So, clear security with your old BP (TSA won't care) then get to the FIRST WN CS desk you can (even if it's not your expected departure gate) so they can get you on the list at least. One of the metrics for breaking a tie between two elites trying to get on is who made the list first.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
It's been my experience the Check-In agents generally can't/won't put you on the SB list (that being said, I did get cleared for SB once from CI, but I think he was just doing me a solid and manually reticketed me onto a non-full flight).

So, clear security with your old BP (TSA won't care) then get to the FIRST WN CS desk you can (even if it's not your expected departure gate) so they can get you on the list at least. One of the metrics for breaking a tie between two elites trying to get on is who made the list first.
And if you're connecting, do they only clear you for the first flight and then you have to standby for the second leg as well?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Juanefny
And if you're connecting, do they only clear you for the first flight and then you have to standby for the second leg as well?
Oh- good question and one I can't answer, as I've only done Intra-CA since this program started (but I suspect it's just as you'd said).

Anyone?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
It's been my experience the Check-In agents generally can't/won't put you on the SB list
I have been on stand-by for many flights since the rule change and I have never had a check-in agent deny putting me on the list ( I almost always check a bag ).

The only time I had any issue was the day i flew on the reservation system change-over and it took about 5 minutes for the check-in agent to get me on the list.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
I have been on stand-by for many flights since the rule change and I have never had a check-in agent deny putting me on the list
Good to know! IIRC my experience of being told "you have to go to the gate" was early on as well (when maybe they hadn't all been trained properly?)
Old Aug 5, 2017, 6:46 am

Oh- good question and one I can't answer, as I've only done Intra-CA since this program started (but I suspect it's just as you'd said).

Anyone?
I'll find out in a couple of hours and I'll report back. Thanks for all the help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.