Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Advice on avoiding being a seat-saving jerk?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on avoiding being a seat-saving jerk?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: Southwest RR, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
They just need a policy, either for or against seat saving.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by elevatorgeek
Not really.

If they say seat saving is permitted, that'll greatly reduce the effectiveness of the EBCI. It's basically saying "Buy 1 for your entire group".

If they say seat saving isn't permitted, not only will many people be irate, but they'll still try saving seats. When someone wants that seat, then the flight attendants will have to deal with 2 (or more) unhappy people.

As it's been for many years, some people will save seats. Most people boarding will simply move on to another empty seat. I think the problem is greatly exaggerated in these forums, but the reality appears to be there's very few problems with the current seating arrangement.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
I would have sat there the entire flight. I was prepared to then as well.
But then where would the person you were supposedly saving the seat for go, or were you not really saving the seat and hoping it would remain open?

If everyone acted like you, then yes I would agree that a policy is needed.

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
I think the problem is greatly exaggerated in these forums.
Exactly.

But the normal, everyday occurrences aren't worth writing about so no one does. 9/10 of my trips are alone, and I'm usually the first person in whichever row I choose and head to the window. 99% of the time the person wanting to sit in the middle will ask me if it's ok for them to sit there. I always say yes. 5/10 times someone will ask me if it's ok for them to take the aisle seat even if no one is in the middle yet! That's crazy to me but shows that most people actually practice common courtesy.

I travel with my wife 5-10 times a year and we've never had an issue saving seats (it's just the two of us). The first one on always goes to the middle third though, and not in the exit row.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Marko123
But then where would the person you were supposedly saving the seat for go, or were you not really saving the seat and hoping it would remain open?
We just wouldn't have been together that flight. But neither would the people who insisted on taking the saved seat.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:44 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Marko123
If everyone acted like you, then yes I would agree that a policy is needed.
That was cruel. But very, very funny.

In some 1500 flights I've never personally witnessed a real argument over a seat. I guess these reports are like the TV news, where you see things that are so rare you'll never see them in person your entire life.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:51 am
Suspended

The obvious solution: Assigned Seating.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by nsx
That was cruel. But very, very funny.

In some 1500 flights I've never personally witnessed a real argument over a seat. I guess these reports are like the TV news, where you see things that are so rare you'll never see them in person your entire life.
Exactly. Maybe an occasional grumbling to themselves or their traveling companion IME.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
The obvious solution: Assigned Seating.
You know.... assigned seating is not always all that it's cooked out to be - for one thing if you standby on a regular airline, (by choice or irrops) chances are you'll end up with really crappy seats b/c everything else is sold out - even as a higher tier elite, I've had to sit at really bad places due to this. With open seating, there are greater chances you may end up doing better.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:15 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
I would have sat there the entire flight. I was prepared to then as well.
I fart.

A lot.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:18 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
We just wouldn't have been together that flight. But neither would the people who insisted on taking the saved seat.
But close enough to pass the food and other items back and forth. The point was the bulkhead where we prefer to sit.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
But close enough to pass the food and other items back and forth. The point was the bulkhead where we prefer to sit.
Fine. You can do that sitting window/aisle. I'm not moving if someone insists like that. The middle certainly is not open if I am occupying it. Officially I'm not saving seats then. Anyway, I travel solo most of the time so I don't care. I'd never pay extra for the bulkhead anyway because it is usually filled with preboarders.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Agree. 100+ flights a year and have never seen one. So much anonymous aggression and puffery in this thread that likely would never take place IRL.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:06 pm

Well, we know those aggressive people are real because here they are spewing their aggression.

Honestly, to the guy who claimed to have said, "well, then you'll have to go through me" (to get to a saved window seat), I would in reality press the FA call button right over his head and not move until the situation was resolved. But in my fantasies I would:

I fart.

A lot.

While also making sure my purse made some contact with his head while I climbed over him.

While I've never seen a fight break out over a seat, or even a loud argument, I have had unpleasant encounters. People who cheat and lie to you, people who stand in the row and glare at everyone walking by, etc.

Thank goodness that 90% of people are very cooperative and pleasant. It makes the flying experience better for us all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.