Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Could a six year-old get a CP for a 4 year-old?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

My wife and I are planning to get two SW companion passes by transferring Marriott points through hotel and flights. We have two small kids - 4 and 6. Say I put my wife as my companion, and our six year old puts his four year old brother as his companion. Then my wife and I can do trips together leaving kids with grandparents, but also do trips together as a family. I know we can change our companion 3 times during the year, but this would allow us more flexibility, and not have to worry about timing the changes. I didn't see an age limit on the SW CP terms or to join RR. Curious if anyone has any experience with something like this?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:31 am

How will the 6 year old earn a companion pass?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:16 am

I don't know of any restrictions that would expressly prohibit that (unless there is a minimum age for CP holders). But minors can certainly earn points per flight.

The alarm bell is the terms behind transferring hotel points into a Rapid Rewards account. Pay attention to the fine print in terms of transferring hotel points from person (a) to a RR account owned by person (b). I say this because there shouldn't be a way a six-year old can earn hotel points because they can't rent a hotel room at that age.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
No WN or CP age limit on this I am aware of. Interesting thought.

Getting sufficient hotel points to a 6-year old within the rules is a problem.

Child cannot get credit card or rent hotel.

I guess it might be possible to do a same-address household transfer to a child under some programs (like SPG I think), but I would read the rules very carefully first. Marriott allows free transfer to spouse/domestic partner only, so a Travel Package seems to be out.

Can you put a child on a credit card as authorized user and do something that way? Maybe at 16, but I doubt at 6. And not sure if AU could ever "get at" the points.

I think you can transfer Hyatt to anyone. Not sure the latest rules. With all the URs out there, this is a possibility.

Would be interested to hear if someone figures out a way.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Jan 6, 2017 at 8:37 am
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:46 am
Original Poster

I'll call SW and Marriott today, though I'm a little hesitant to risk the CP pass. How it works is my wife (who would otherwise get the CP) transfers her Starpoints to our six year old (no limit to household transfers). He converts to Marriott on-line. Then we do the nights and hotel redepemption with the RR points transfer. Point would be my wife could use my CP when we do trips without kids, or we could switch to friends for a trip, and not worry about it messing up family trips.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I understand why you are doing it. In theory it could work, but I think i'd get in writing from all parties that it's ok.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Why not put your 4 your old as your companion and your six your old as your wife's companion?

That is what we do and you can still change the pass holder a few times to travel without kids and with friends.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:00 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I vaguely recall someone doing what the OP proposed several years ago.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

So I called SW and they said no problem having a 6 year-old with a CP and a 4 year-old companion, so long as there's an adult reservation they can link to in the system.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by encaustic1
So I called SW and they said no problem having a 6 year-old with a CP and a 4 year-old companion, so long as there's an adult reservation they can link to in the system.
Gotta love WN. The LCC that treats it's passengers as if they all have status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.