Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why will you fly Southwest in 2017?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:04 pm

They're the only airline that flies BUR-OAK, making it convenient for a weekend in Napa in June. I generally avoid WN if there are other options.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Did not fly WN in 2016 (and very few times over past few years) but I have some expiring TTF so I will probably take at least 1 flight in 2017.

Personally I like WN and prefer OAK and BUR but but fares have not been at all competitive where I have UA/AS/VX options @SFO and WN premium is too steep to justify even with "no change fees." In fact UA is even cheaper because as an elite I get free checked bags and free E+, whereas WN charges me a non-ref fee for EBCI.

Part of the problem is that WN's software/revenue mgmt. team has completely eliminated discounts on my preferred travel days (FR/SU/MO) and I'm not going to waste valuable vacation days and time just to save a few $$.

For my more lucrative business trips, the on-board product would need to improve dramatically to capture my midcon or transcon trips, e.g. OAK-HOU. Like better seats, paid food (think VX) and more frequent nonstops.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by princeville
They're the only airline that flies BUR-OAK, making it convenient for a weekend in Napa in June. I generally avoid WN if there are other options.
Suggest JetSuiteX BUR-CCR (Concord)...even closer to Napa!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Troopers
I am interested to try this. I guess it's cool now that you can get B6 miles for JetSuiteX flights, but they're still typically more than double the cheapest BUR/LAX-OAK/SFO flights, and the schedules are not ideal — only 2x a day on weekdays, timed for day commuters, and no flights on Saturdays.

Compare that to WN's offering on BUR-OAK, and it's much more compelling. Cheap fares, plenty of flights, and easy in, easy out on both ends of the itinerary. Not bad for an hour's bus ride in the sky.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:40 pm

Ohh... wish I'd thought of this before all six of us booked on WN last week. And I know a JetSuiteX pilot!

Their schedule doesn't go out to June yet, but I looked at a weekend in April and the times would have worked perfectly and it cost less than our WN flight ($178 vs. $233 on WN). Next time!

How's the rental car situation in CCR?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:48 pm

Ohh... wish I'd thought of this before all six of us booked on WN last week. And I know a JetSuiteX pilot!

Their schedule doesn't go out to June yet, but I looked at a weekend in April and the times would have worked perfectly and it cost less than our WN flight ($178 vs. $233 on WN). Next time!

How's the rental car situation in CCR?
Per JetsuiteX:

(CCR) Concord Buchanan Field Airport

JSX Terminal - 181 John Glenn Drive, Concord, CA 94520

CAR RENTAL INFORMATION

GoRentals cars are available on arrival at Concord - JSX Terminal. Please call GoRentals at (949) 449-2833 or email [email protected] to book your car.
There's a Hertz next door, and an Enterprise a mile(?) away.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:53 pm

Per JetsuiteX:

There's a Hertz next door, and an Enterprise a mile(?) away.
Thank you. I think I will bring it up to our group because this is a much better way to travel (we're celebrating a friends' 40th b-day). I'm sure we can all find a way to use our WN credits.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:03 pm

Thank you. I think I will bring it up to our group because this is a much better way to travel (we're celebrating a friends' 40th b-day). I'm sure we can all find a way to use our WN credits.
Also, depending your arrival and departure times, traffic can be awful from/to OAK (assuming I-80 passing Berkeley).
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:22 am

No change fees.
No change fees.
No change fees.

Reservations made with points are easy/free to cancel, fully refundable.

MDW, SNA, SJC

Last edited by pirossalma; Jan 17, 2017 at 9:28 am
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
I've done it twice already. I like being able to check two bags free and I also like it that there are no "close in" fees for award tickets.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:32 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by pirossalma
No change fees.
No change fees.
No change fees.

Reservations made with points are easy/free to cancel, fully refundable.
+1. On cheap tickets, a change fee means loss of the full value of the ticket. This is therefore equivalent to a surcharge of the fare paid times the probability of needing to change.

Also Southwest has the best schedule and highest frequency for my routine flying. Companion Pass is the best perk in the industry these days.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:15 pm

Because I still have a load of points and they're perfect for fairly speculative weekend trips. Still waffling hardcore on whether to get the companion pass, though...
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:26 pm

Cheap flights, non-stop to most places we want to go, one-way travel is easier and cheaper than other airlines, 2 bags fly free. Really wish we could fly to Hawaii on Southwest!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:04 pm

No change fees, no cancellation fees, no luggage fees, easy to book and cancel points flights with no penalty. Almost a no brainer.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:34 am
Suspended

Routing and routing only. Otherwise I avoid WN like I avoid Wal-Mart and McDonalds. If I DO fly them it's because it goes to a specific location..for example, HOU instead of IAD for my yearly trip to Galveston, or it's a direct flight under 1 hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.