Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

OK to book two flights for same date? was: Will they catch this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r

I have booked my husband [using points] on a Southwest flight on 24 Dec at 8:40 am after arriving on an international flight.

If I book a second flight, later in the day for him as a backup, will the catch this and cancel 1 or both flights? And if they cancel only 1, which one might it be.

[Not something I would normally do, but after a 13 hour flight to US, I'd hate for him to have to spend an inordinately long layover. And though he has flown lots of times, this is a first time solo without me and I am the family travel agent]
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Question has been asked before. Many people have done this. Still, it is arguably a potential violation of the CoC prohibition on speculative bookings; so, it does carry risk.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:12 pm

I've done that successfully before, but there's at least one recent post here where 1 of the 2 flights that day was cancelled, I think without notification
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by FindAWay
Question has been asked before. Many people have done this. Still, it is arguably a potential violation of the CoC prohibition on speculative bookings; so, it does carry risk.
Arguably? In the COC posted earlier today WN has made it absolutely crystal clear that what OP proposes to do is a violation and that WN may cancel both reservations.

It was pretty clear in the past that WN prohibited this, but the fact that WN has revised the language suggests that it means to enforce it. Otherwise, why bother.

Catching this is an easy software upgrade and I suspect that WN finally upgraded.

Multiple Reservations. Southwest prohibits multiple reservations for the same Passenger departing from the same city on the same date. Furthermore, without notice to the Passenger or purchaser, Southwest may cancel such reservations or any other reservations that it believes, in its sole discretion, were made without intent to travel.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Thanks, I was afraid that this was the going to be the case.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Often1

Multiple Reservations. Southwest prohibits multiple reservations for the same Passenger departing from the same city on the same date. Furthermore, without notice to the Passenger or purchaser, Southwest may cancel such reservations or any other reservations that it believes, in its sole discretion, were made without intent to travel.
This language has been in there for a while. There was/is other language about speculative reservations which was ambiguous and could apply to reservation on different days.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by DebitNM
I have booked my husband [using points] on a Southwest flight on 24 Dec at 8:40 am after arriving on an international flight.

If I book a second flight, later in the day for him as a backup, will the catch this and cancel 1 or both flights? And if they cancel only 1, which one might it be.

[Not something I would normally do, but after a 13 hour flight to US, I'd hate for him to have to spend an inordinately long layover. And though he has flown lots of times, this is a first time solo without me and I am the family travel agent]
Don't put his RR number in both reservations. Likely will be fine.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:28 pm

Couldn't you book a flight in between the two times you wish to book the second flight and standby or confirm a seat on a flight should you want an earlier flight? It may require you to pay a fare difference unless you book a Business Select Fare but it could save you from having two tickets that violate the COCs. Hope this helps.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by DebitNM

Another option is to have your Hubby purchase a Day Pass at an airline lounge preferably one with a shower if the airport has one. Delta is a good option and then get some shuteye before his flight. This way he has time to clear customs, go over to Southwest and check his bag, go through security and get something to eat and drink then rest.

On his Southwest flight he can take a cat nap or two and arrive more rested. I have found that by having a long layover 4 hours after an international trip helps to relax and get over jetlag. The lounge is a good place and for $50($35) if he has the Delta AMEX Card or $50 for AA he can relax at the lounge. Priority Pass is another option if you fly frequently. As long as you have a flight for the same day there is no problem.

I would not want to be racing through the terminal. Oh an also why not try and book a flight on the same airline or alliance as his international flight much better so his bags go right through and also if the international flight is delayed or cancelled he would be reacomodated to the new flight.

I would hate for your husband to be stuck in Customs and miss the WN flight. If you can book him on one ticket that is the best advice. Then your hubby can go to the lounge of the airline he is flying home on. You can even pre-purchase the Day Pass online with a 30 day expiration and e-mail it to him with most airlines.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 5:12 pm

I suspect that WN finally upgraded.
You suspect wrong. I know many business associates who do this routinely and frequently - and very recently. No problem.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by smmrfld
You suspect wrong. I know many business associates who do this routinely and frequently - and very recently. No problem.
Did you read what I wrote?

Did you then go and look at the date of WN's updated COC?

Does it make you wonder why WN updated the COC today to include express language?

Does it surprise you that WN would do this in order to avoid bad surprises when people show up and whine, "but I know many business associates who do this routinely....?"
Old Dec 6, 2016, 5:40 pm

Does it make you wonder why WN updated the COC today to include express language?

Does it surprise you that WN would do this in order to avoid bad surprises when people show up and whine, "but I know many business associates who do this routinely....?"
Excellent response Often1. I can imagine a unsuspecting traveler who wanted to do what the OP wanted to do and then be stuck with no reservation pleading to the ticket counter agent to reinstate one reservation only to be told that they must purchase an expensive ticket right on the spot or not be able to fly. "Yes I know a lot of my friends who get the rules bent". "Sir please give me all the names of the friends you know who did this. We are going to investigate it".

Southwest could take it further for second violations just like airlines do for hidden city ticketing that they would be banned from flying Southwest and a potential lawsuit in which Southwest would win. the Contract of Carriage whether you read it verbatim or not is still the responsibility of the passenger. When I make a booking rather than make speculative bookings I will select a flight that closely matches my schedule. Yes it may mean returning a day less or stay a day later than I intended but if I want a flight at a fare I'm willing to pay I will book only one flight.

Southwest did not have to explicitly spell out this particular section of the COC. As long as the passenger knows what he/she is trying to do is wrong and they still do it is a breach of contract. Just like if you know its not OK to use the FastTrack Express Lane on the Freeway and you try and jimmy your way out of the fine yes maybe the first time they may let you off or reduce the fine but next time you will be responsible to pay the fee.

I honestly hope the OP will act in good faith and only book a reservation he/she really needs. It would ruin it for us if people did not follow the rules and we would be stuck with change fees, nonrefundable tickets and no refund of the credits to use on a new flight.

If the OP came to FlyerTalk and does not hear what they don't want to hear and they still don't want to even try and follow the rules then fine we gave them the answer clear as day. If they decide to follow the rules then great.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 5:47 pm

Wonder if someone from Southwest is reading this post. Be careful what you post as they can track down anyone who is trying to work the system against the COC. If WN changed their COC's today to address this is someone from WN corporate Social Media Team reading this thread?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn
Wonder if someone from Southwest is reading this post. Be careful what you post as they can track down anyone who is trying to work the system against the COC. If WN changed their COC's today to address this is someone from WN corporate Social Media Team reading this thread?
Could WN be reading these posts? It's certainly likely. Can they track down "anyone who is trying to work the system?" I seriously doubt they have the resources and desire to spend the time and effort it would take to tie a person's FT post history and username to their Rapid Rewards account.

This "loophole" has been talked about for years. If they were going to change their CoC, they likely would have done it in response to one of the threads in the past. I see nothing to suggest they would change it in response to a 13-post thread on Flyertalk. The timing is probably nothing more than coincidental.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Could WN be reading these posts? It's certainly likely. Can they track down "anyone who is trying to work the system?" I seriously doubt they have the resources and desire to spend the time and effort it would take to tie a person's FT post history and username to their Rapid Rewards account.

This "loophole" has been talked about for years. If they were going to change their CoC, they likely would have done it in response to one of the threads in the past. I see nothing to suggest they would change it in response to a 13-post thread on Flyertalk. The timing is probably nothing more than coincidental.
Got it!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.