Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SNA-MEX Dropped

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2016, 12:17 am
Original Poster

SNA-MEX Dropped

I had reservations for SFO-SNA-MEX for January. Just noticed the trips disappeared from the SWA app so I called in. Apparently the SNA-MEX sector is discontinued and a third daily HOU-MEX has been added.

Did not get an email about it although my points have automatically been refunded. Not happy that they didn't reaccomodate me or even notify me.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by rrapynot
I had reservations for SFO-SNA-MEX for January. Just noticed the trips disappeared from the SWA app so I called in. Apparently the SNA-MEX sector is discontinued and a third daily HOU-MEX has been added.

Did not get an email about it although my points have automatically been refunded. Not happy that they didn't reaccomodate me or even notify me.
When you called did you ask about alternate accomidations?
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Check into a SFO-LAX-MEX alternative.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dlaue
Check into a SFO-LAX-MEX alternative.
The only MEX service remaining is HOU-MEX.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 10:30 am

I'm also booked on SFO-SNA-MEX on dates in 2017. I noticed a few days ago that my reservation wouldn't load on the website, and based on what I had heard about WN losing slots at SNA, suspected they had discontinued SNA-MEX. I hadn't called in to ask about it yet, so thanks for confirming this theory.

It looks like the only remaining MEX flights are via HOU. Even leaving from OAK, which has nonstops to HOU, the routing would take 9:50 instead of 6:05. I'm inclined not to bother with such a poor routing. It's too bad, because I was looking forward to finally having a decent opportunity to use my companion pass.

I can't say I'm surprised about it, but WN did a poor job of communicating about this. If I hadn't received a "page not found" error while checking on the reservation, or noticed this on FlyerTalk, I wouldn't have any idea the flight was cancelled. Most other airlines would send an email prompting me to choose alternate flights. It seems like WN is not set up to handle these cases properly.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aaronl
I'm also booked on SFO-SNA-MEX on dates in 2017. I noticed a few days ago that my reservation wouldn't load on the website, and based on what I had heard about WN losing slots at SNA, suspected they had discontinued SNA-MEX. I hadn't called in to ask about it yet, so thanks for confirming this theory.

It looks like the only remaining MEX flights are via HOU. Even leaving from OAK, which has nonstops to HOU, the routing would take 9:50 instead of 6:05. I'm inclined not to bother with such a poor routing. It's too bad, because I was looking forward to finally having a decent opportunity to use my companion pass.

I can't say I'm surprised about it, but WN did a poor job of communicating about this. If I hadn't received a "page not found" error while checking on the reservation, or noticed this on FlyerTalk, I wouldn't have any idea the flight was cancelled. Most other airlines would send an email prompting me to choose alternate flights. It seems like WN is not set up to handle these cases properly.
It's very poor service to just cancel and refund points without any notification or reaccomodation. They did not refund the taxes which are $180 for two of us. I was also using a companion pass. Now looking to spend $1,300 on replacement tickets. Not happy at all.

Of the three HOU-MEX flights, only the one that arrives in MEX at 11.30pm has connections from the west coast. Lame.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 3:50 pm

Nothing about this is equitable.

I'd file a DOT complaint and copy [email protected] and [email protected].

Something needs to get their attention.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by aaronl
based on what I had heard about WN losing slots at SNA
The gates are all common use (aka AA could go into gate 5/6, traditionally an Alaska gate). They must be not utilizing enough of the 7-9a priority time slots (45 minute turnaround in the overnight gates) and getting penalized. Hence why they have flights leaving before 7 (getting in queue for the runway but away from the gate).
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It's very poor service to just cancel and refund points without any notification or reaccomodation. They did not refund the taxes which are $180 for two of us. I was also using a companion pass. Now looking to spend $1,300 on replacement tickets. Not happy at all.

Of the three HOU-MEX flights, only the one that arrives in MEX at 11.30pm has connections from the west coast. Lame.
They have to refund the taxes. Contact them. Make a DOT complaint.

There's often a delay between schedule change and notification, particularly for reservations with travel more than 60 days out.

Reaccommodation on another carrier isn't going to happen. Southwest doesn't have interline agreements. It's a failing that Southwest flyers accept implicitly, like lack of assigned seats.

If there's nothing in the Southwest schedule that appeals to you from your origin city, the carrier's legal obligation to you is a refund. If you want mandatory European-style compensation for close-in schedule changes, contact your favorite politicians.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Customer Service in Dallas told me that I'll be reaccomodated on 10/31. Hinted that new service is to be announced. Hoping it's OAK-MEX to complement the recent OAK-SJD and OAK-PVR announcement, but more likely I expect LAX or possibly even PHX or LAS.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Customer Service in Dallas told me that I'll be reaccomodated on 10/31. Hinted that new service is to be announced. Hoping it's OAK-MEX to complement the recent OAK-SJD and OAK-PVR announcement, but more likely I expect LAX or possibly even PHX or LAS.
I would take this with a grain of salt. I am skeptical that customer service agents have the inside on a future route announcement two weeks from now. Hope it works out for you though.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I would take this with a grain of salt. I am skeptical that customer service agents have the inside on a future route announcement two weeks from now. Hope it works out for you though.
They said there were notes on my reservation.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Southwest is hoping to start flights from OAK to MExico in February
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Ugh, I'm really disappointed with that. We hope to go to MEX next year. We live in Orange County, so we won't fly out of the way to HOU or OAK for it...looks like we'll be driving to LAX and flying another carrier.

On a related note, we have tickets LAX-CUN and back for early next year. There's a warning on the website that says: "Subject to Government Approval. Southwest is currently awaiting government approval for this route. We anticipate approval to be granted shortly with no impacts to your travel plans." Are we at risk here?
Old Oct 21, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
lol i love how they are still advertising this route via social media..lol
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.