Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Yet another rant about EBCI & seat saving (was Sw airlines reputation crashing)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yet another rant about EBCI & seat saving (was Sw airlines reputation crashing)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
You both can and cannot save seats. Here is how it works, you can TRY to save a seat and be within the rules. However, someone can TAKE that seat anyhow and be within the rules.
You are incorrect, but you were close. An accurate statement would be:

"you can TRY to save a seat and be within the rules. However, someone can TRY to take that seat anyhow...".

First one to make contact with the other commits assault and loses. Think of it like that game "Operation" but using your body. And good luck pulling it off if the saver is sitting in the aisle seat.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 4:07 pm

And this is exactly why SW establish a clear policy -- so all can operate under the same set of rules. The current policy gives the advantage to whoever is the most brazen and assertive.

Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
You are incorrect, but you were close. An accurate statement would be:

"you can TRY to save a seat and be within the rules. However, someone can TRY to take that seat anyhow...".

First one to make contact with the other commits assault and loses. Think of it like that game "Operation" but using your body. And good luck pulling it off if the saver is sitting in the aisle seat.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Hank Moody
And this is exactly why SW establish a clear policy -- so all can operate under the same set of rules. The current policy gives the advantage to whoever is the most brazen and assertive.
Arguably they do have a clear policy. Save a seat if you want. That people can't behave themselves and get along isn't necessarily reason for WN to establish a seat saving policy. They already have the FAA and law enforcement behind them for people who don't know when to stop arguing.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:33 pm

I'm afraid you're right, but I don't want to be confronted by another pax if I were to act accordingly.

Originally Posted by justhere
Arguably they do have a clear policy. Save a seat if you want. That people can't behave themselves and get along isn't necessarily reason for WN to establish a seat saving policy. They already have the FAA and law enforcement behind them for people who don't know when to stop arguing.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:53 pm

I've often wondered if the FAs labor contract is involved in this. I can't imagine the FAs wanting to referee these conflicts, and as soon as there is a policy it becomes their job to enforce it.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I've often wondered if the FAs labor contract is involved in this. I can't imagine the FAs wanting to referee these conflicts, and as soon as there is a policy it becomes their job to enforce it.
My guess would be that if WN had a policy it would have to be to ban seat saving. Explicitly allowing it would probably erode the revenue from EBCI. And they don't really need a policy explicitly disallowing it because 1. it probably isn't something that WN really cares about because it's not as big of a deal that it's made out to be here, 2. there would likely be exceptions so now you have to deal with those, and 3. FA's already have a way to deal with it when people can't behave. Just my 2 cents.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:08 pm

Naw, they care about it. Seat saving indignation is profuse on WN forums.

https://www.southwestaircommunity.co...ats/td-p/46681
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Anyone saving a seat is referred back to the GA who deals with it after boarding is completed, and you can save any number of seats you'd like. Problem solved.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by LegalTender

One person trying to save five seats would naturally motivate me to sit there on purpose. What would she do - pick me up and move me? I don't think she could.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:25 am

A minuscule percentage of WN passengers posting on a blog isn't really indicative that WN cares about the issue. Even in the link you posted WN official response is pretty laissez-faire. Even accounting for passengers that haven't voiced their displeasure, when you consider how many passengers are not affected by it, I'm betting that there's just not enough incentive for WN to take a different stand on it.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by justhere
I'm betting that there's just not enough incentive for WN to take a different stand on it.
Sounds more like a plea than a prediction.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 11:30 am

Sounds more like a plea than a prediction.
Not sure where you are inferring that from but I don't really care one way or the other about a seat saving policy. Just making some educated guesses, just like most of the opinions on FT.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 11:50 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
It's all been said before, but people on both sides here seem to believe that all complaints would stop if only Southwest would (a) prohibit seat saving or (b) explicitly sanction seat saving. This is as wrong as can be.

The number of unhappy people would increase if either of these policies were adopted and enforced. The reason is that under the current non-policy most people make reasonable accommodations for the preference of others, even if those others are selfish oafs.

A "one size fits all" policy cannot provide the same average level of customer satisfaction as a flexible non-policy. Given that different customers have different preferences, perfect customer satisfaction is not an option.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:21 pm

It's not about happy vs. unhappy. It's about what's right and fair.

This thread says it well and I'm glad the matter is getting the attention it deserves.

Originally Posted by nsx
The number of unhappy people would increase if either of these policies were adopted and enforced. The reason is that under the current non-policy most people make reasonable accommodations for the preference of others, even if those others are selfish oafs.

A "one size fits all" policy cannot provide the same average level of customer satisfaction as a flexible non-policy. Given that different customers have different preferences, perfect customer satisfaction is not an option.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:24 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Hank Moody
It's not about happy vs. unhappy. It's about what's right and fair.
There's your problem. Operating a business is about making money, not about being right or fair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.