Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should spouse or I apply for SW cards?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Should spouse or I apply for SW cards?

Hi all -- quick strategy question. My wife and I are planning in October to get two SW credit cards with a 50K bonus to get the CP in early 2017. We're trying to decide who should apply for those cards.

We both have 780+ credit scores. Neither of us is limited by 5/24. Her income is (considerably) higher than mine. All things being equal we'd rather have me apply than her, but we're concerned that if I get denied for one or both of the cards, we'll have "wasted" two hard pulls. We also could potentially go the SPG --> Marriott --> Hotel + Air package route, but we'd prefer to keep our Starpoints.

What do you guys think? Really appreciate any thoughts and advice. Thanks!
Old Sep 25, 2016, 3:15 pm

Does one of you plan to fly more than the other? If so, that's the person who should apply. If not, then your wife may be the best choice.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
From reading all the blogs and how credit cards are approved etc there are definitely more variables to be considered to really make your choice.
- annual income is a factor but as long as you pass a threshold I doubt it matters if one person gets a better chance of approval than another.
- income:revolving credit ratio matters. So if wife makes 200K: but has 50K in extended credit already, she will most likely have less of a chance getting approved.
- then there is revolving credit:debit ratio which should be kept low as well.

I guess one thing to work backwards on is: Why would a Chase decline your business?
- too much outstanding credit (or too much credit with Chase itself)
- too much debt
- not enough income
- 5/24
- credit score not good enough

If you have no reasonable reason to get denied, you will get the card, and even if you do get denied online, a human reconsideration agent can help.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Whoever travels for business more should be the CP holder, if the Companion will accompany at least sometimes. That way the non-deductible/reimburseable trips will be the free ones.

My wife and I have played this both ways in the past.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks! One follow-up question: I already have a business card with Chase. She doesn't, but she also doesn't really have any non-salary income to claim on a business card application. Does that affect which of us should apply, assuming we'd do one Plus personal and one Plus Business?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TSNWork
Thanks! One follow-up question: I already have a business card with Chase. She doesn't, but she also doesn't really have any non-salary income to claim on a business card application. Does that affect which of us should apply, assuming we'd do one Plus personal and one Plus Business?
It might.

Reports vary on how stringent Chase is with a person having a business. It seems to be harder now than a couple years ago. It may be a matter of how attractive a CC prospect they consider you. Some people when applying talk about their ebay business on the side, even if it is tiny.

Are there not 2 kinds of Personal WN cards still? That might be an easier lift; she can say she wants one for reimbursable travel expense as a traveling employee, to make the accounting easier.

She could go into a Chase branch and have a banker apply. This sometimes helps.

If all fails, she could get another kind of Chase card and transfer those points to her WN account (Hyatt, UR, Marriott, etc.) in January.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Ah, those are all good thoughts. Thanks so much. Really appreciate it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.