Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest plane suffers in-flight "major engine malfunction"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Yikes.

Southwest Airlines flight from New Orleans airport diverted after mid-air engine issue

Photos from Facebook:
Attached Images    
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:04 pm

Stock release:

Today, the Captain of Flight #3472 from New Orleans to Orlando made the decision to divert to Pensacola due to a mechanical issue with the number one engine. The flight landed safely without incident at Pensacola International Airport at 9:40 a.m. central time. Initial reports indicate there were no injuries among the 99 passengers and five crew members onboard. We have notified the NTSB, and when authorized, we will be inspecting the aircraft to assess the damage. The aircraft is out of service, and we will work to accommodate the passengers to Orlando or their final destination as soon as possible.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:26 pm

Wow. Wonder if the damage caused an immediate failure of the engine or the pilots had to manually shut it down.

EDIT: looks like from the pictures it was an immediate shutdown as the fan blades appear to have impacted the damaged area. And I see from the side of the aircraft why it lost pressure.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Yikes, thumbs up to the pilots. Looks like the passengers picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue...
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by airplanegod
Looks like the passengers picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue...
I don't understand this odd quip...
This is a pretty serious event-it looks as though a blade nearly made it into the cabin.

Unusual to see entire fan and fan case ripped off the shaft. Be interesting to read if a witness watched the event occur.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:09 pm

Fortunate that the captain avoided "uncontained turbine failure."

Two people were killed at PNS back in 1996 - blamed on DL maintenance. It was an MD88 on take-off roll, so a very different scenario/livery.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by luckypierre
This is a pretty serious event-it looks as though a blade nearly made it into the cabin.
You obviously have never watched the movie Airplane!
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by LegalTender

Two people were killed at PNS back in 1996 - blamed on DL maintenance. It was an MD88 on take-off roll, so a very different scenario/livery.
I always think of those poor souls when I see accidents like this..all one family with mother and son killed, others injured..the debris went down one row

Perhaps the root cause will be similar to the MD 88 tragedy..the post accident appearance is certainly similar.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by luckypierre

Unusual to see entire fan and fan case ripped off the shaft. Be interesting to read if a witness watched the event occur.
The fan looks intact to me...
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
The fan looks intact to me...
Yep the fan looks intact, it looks like the front cowling piece wasn't attached properly or some bolts failed and off it went.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by airplanegod
Yep the fan looks intact, it looks like the front cowling piece wasn't attached properly or some bolts failed and off it went.
It's intact but it does look like it impacted the inside of the engine nacelle.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:24 pm

Turbine failures are very dangerous, but I wonder if the captain had anything to do with the failure or the lucky fact that no one was injured. Looks to me like they were just lucky since the engine obviously came apart.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
May have to rethink rows 6-8 as my preferred seating area.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I wonder if the captain had anything to do with the failure or the lucky fact that no one was injured.
The captain had nothing to do with the failure. Why even suggest that?

The WN pilot was able to immediately shut down the engine at cruising altitude and contain the damage. The DL MD88 captain had far worse options on take-off roll.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats

But on the MD-88 (DC-9 design) there are usually a few lucky souls sitting in the back in the kill zone between the engines.

With a wing-mounted engine, the debris can scatter more widely and less of it will impact the cabin area. Nevertheless anyone sitting by that hole was lucky.

Originally Posted by Tanic
May have to rethink rows 6-8 as my preferred seating area.
Was thinking the same thing -- eschew exit rows!

Last edited by MikeMpls; Aug 27, 2016 at 5:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.