Wiki Posts
Search

should I buy EBCI? PVD to MCO

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2016, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

should I buy EBCI? PVD to MCO

First post here.

We are flying from PVD to MCO, July 13-20, 2:10pm down, 12:05pm home.

We are six adults (our adult children, their significant others, and my husband and myself).

I'm hedging on just going T-24 because it would be another $180 to add EBCI. I feel odd asking my son and daughter to kick in for the fee.

Any thoughts on our chances of sitting together?

PVD is a small airport, don't know if that would make a difference
Old Jun 21, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Things going for you: flights are on Wednesdays, flights are to MCO so families may fill many of the middles before all of the aisle and windows are gone
Thing going against you: flights are to MCO, so probably lots of family boarding (f you are in B)
Personally, unless I absolutely had to sit together, I would save the money. I would think if you check in at T-24 you would have a pretty good chance of getting at least 2, 2, and 2 together somewhere.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 2:57 pm

Looks like your plane will be originating from BWI (lots of Disney families here) with a stop at PVD, then to MCO. EBCI will get you on before others at PVD but there will likely be families already onboard from BWI.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Six adults: I would personally never buy EBCI for this. I'd check in at T-24 and save the $180. You will end up in seats towards the middle/back, perhaps with some of you together. As long as you check in at T-24 (be on time!!), you should *not* end up with six middle seats.

The only situations I might consider EBCI are (a) children just barely over the preboarding age where I consider it reasonably important to sit together or (b) I flat out know I'm going to be offline 24 hours prior to the flight. (Good example of this: you're on another flight at that time.)

Otherwise, there are lots of better things I can think of to spend $180 on.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I'd do T24 and use the $180 for something else on the vacation. On the way back it might be good to be sitting apart

Welcome to Flyer Talk too!
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:20 pm

No, definitely don't pay for EBCI. Each of you can sit with one of the rest of your party, almost for sure. (And even if not, don't worry about it)

FWIW if somebody's flying BWI to MCO on that day, there's 10 non-stops and another 5 quicker 1-stops they would buy before routing themselves several states further NORTH than their starting point.
On the way back it might be good to be sitting apart
heh
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
FWIW if somebody's flying BWI to MCO on that day, there's 10 non-stops and another 5 quicker 1-stops they would buy before routing themselves several states further NORTH than their starting point.heh
Good point. This flight should be pretty empty of thrus...
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
Good point. This flight should be pretty empty of thrus...
that would be cool

No, definitely don't pay for EBCI. Each of you can sit with one of the rest of your party, almost for sure. (And even if not, don't worry about it)

FWIW if somebody's flying BWI to MCO on that day, there's 10 non-stops and another 5 quicker 1-stops they would buy before routing themselves several states further NORTH than their starting point.heh
I was thinking that would be a sucky flight to have to fly like three hours and not really gain anything.

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
I'd do T24 and use the $180 for something else on the vacation. On the way back it might be good to be sitting apart

Welcome to Flyer Talk too!
Thank you! and we may not want to sit near each other after the vacay.

Six adults: I would personally never buy EBCI for this. I'd check in at T-24 and save the $180. You will end up in seats towards the middle/back, perhaps with some of you together. As long as you check in at T-24 (be on time!!), you should *not* end up with six middle seats.

The only situations I might consider EBCI are (a) children just barely over the preboarding age where I consider it reasonably important to sit together or (b) I flat out know I'm going to be offline 24 hours prior to the flight. (Good example of this: you're on another flight at that time.)

Otherwise, there are lots of better things I can think of to spend $180 on.

I'm going to chance it, I've waited this long. Most people have probably already purchased it by now anyways, if they were going to. I'm such a procrastinator.

Originally Posted by Troopers
Looks like your plane will be originating from BWI (lots of Disney families here) with a stop at PVD, then to MCO. EBCI will get you on before others at PVD but there will likely be families already onboard from BWI.
Ahh, didn't think to just search the fl # to see where it was coming from.

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Things going for you: flights are on Wednesdays, flights are to MCO so families may fill many of the middles before all of the aisle and windows are gone
Thing going against you: flights are to MCO, so probably lots of family boarding (f you are in B)
Personally, unless I absolutely had to sit together, I would save the money. I would think if you check in at T-24 you would have a pretty good chance of getting at least 2, 2, and 2 together somewhere.

I just really need the two, twenty something girls, to be able to sit with their bf's. My husband and I can deal if we can't.

Last edited by emmabelle; Jun 21, 2016 at 3:41 pm
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:40 pm

Make it a challenge for all the kids...want to sit next to your girlfriend/boyfriend? Then you each better check yourselves in individually at exactly T-24
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by emmabelle
I just really need the two, twenty something girls, to be able to sit with their bf's. My husband and I can deal if we can't.
Believe it or not, they would survive sitting apart as well. However, I don't think you'll have to worry: even in the worst case scenario there would be middle-window pairs in the back. If you time the T-24 right, then there's a decent chance you'll have two sets of 3 seats...if not a full 6 seats across.

If you're checking bags, then your row on the plane doesn't matter at all. You will reach the carousel before your bags.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmbolp
Make it a challenge for all the kids...want to sit next to your girlfriend/boyfriend? Then you each better check yourselves in individually at exactly T-24

Unfortunately my son's gf has only flown once, like 15 years ago and my daughter thinks the plane is going down in the littlest of turbulence.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Believe it or not, they would survive sitting apart as well. However, I don't think you'll have to worry: even in the worst case scenario there would be middle-window pairs in the back. If you time the T-24 right, then there's a decent chance you'll have two sets of 3 seats...if not a full 6 seats across.

If you're checking bags, then your row on the plane doesn't matter at all. You will reach the carousel before your bags.

I miss the days before EBCI. I would sit at the computer hitting refresh for what seemed like forever, praying that the computer wouldn't crash.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by emmabelle
I miss the days before EBCI. I would sit at the computer hitting refresh for what seemed like forever, praying that the computer wouldn't crash.
I remember an era when I'd check in for flights at exactly midnight. It seems like WN was this way for a bit, although it could have been someone else...
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:19 pm

FWIW if somebody's flying BWI to MCO on that day, there's 10 non-stops and another 5 quicker 1-stops they would buy before routing themselves several states further NORTH than their starting point.
Very good point.

However, more than 80% of MCO visitors is for leisure. And almost all leisure passengers, if not most, don't care if they go north first. They select based on price, stops, departure/arrive times, totals time trip, etc. So, many of the flights that are available are non-starters.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:26 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I remember an era when I'd check in for flights at exactly midnight. It seems like WN was this way for a bit, although it could have been someone else...
Your memory is correct. Not many people were obsessed enough to get up at midnight to check in, so competition was light.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.