Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schedule opening May 19th Book yay or nay

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2016, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Schedule opening May 19th Book yay or nay

I got word that the WN schedule will open up until January 4th on May 19th. Should I book my flights from SJC-PHX on May 19th or wait until there is a sale. I know that this is during the holidays and also if the fare goes down I can get refunded as Ticket Funds for another ticket.

I heard that booking on the day the schedule opens up can bring the lower Wanna Get Away Fares as we already know our dates. I just need to know the exact time. Some said Midnight CST some said open of business day on 5/19.

Thanks.
Old May 16, 2016, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
The only downside to booking then and re-faring if you see an airfare drop later is that the residual credit will be in the passenger's name and he or she will only have a year to use it. Not much of a downside the same passenger plans on flying WN again inside of a year.
Old May 17, 2016, 6:41 am

There is little benefit to booking the tickets the second the booking window opens, unless you're going for the EBC and want to be pretty much assured of getting A16 & A17. While there's never any guarantee, the ticket prices probably won't be the cheapest the moment the tickets become available.
Old May 17, 2016, 6:58 am

Are you booking with points? If so book away, and rebook if the price goes down.
Old May 17, 2016, 7:17 am

Schedule opening is typically around 6 a.m. CDT.

Boarding numbers A16-17 would go to the top A-listers on the flight. The first to buy EB could well be in the B group. If you're looking to be first in EB, I think you could book something that's bookable now, then change the booking (keeping the same PNR) to the trip you want to take, when it's bookable.
Old May 17, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
There is little benefit to booking the tickets the second the booking window opens, unless you're going for the EBC and want to be pretty much assured of getting A16 & A17. While there's never any guarantee, the ticket prices probably won't be the cheapest the moment the tickets become available.
Agree with this if you are booking days that the sales usually apply to, like Tues thru Thurs or Saturday.

If you are booking a Friday or Sunday, I would book when they open the schedule. For these days, I have seen the cheapest fares at open and they rarely go on sale and/or down if it's a hot market and especially around a holiday. If you are booking for Christmas or Thanksgiving, I advise you book when it opens and monitor to re-fare, just in case.
Old May 17, 2016, 9:02 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by mile ho
If you are booking for Christmas or Thanksgiving, I advise you book when it opens and monitor to re-fare, just in case.
Agreed, but I expect the initial fares for peak dates to be stratospheric.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I'm booking every flight for the rest of the year first thing in the morning on Thursday the 19th. Take this information as you like.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I'm booking every flight for the rest of the year first thing in the morning on Thursday the 19th. Take this information as you like.
That is my plan too.
Old May 17, 2016, 1:28 pm

I also always book when the schedule opens up if I know where and when I'm going that far in advance personally.
Old May 17, 2016, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
The schedule is already open through November 4, 2016; presumably you mean you'll be booking flights for November and December, and have already booked flights for June, July, August, September & October?

As nsx suggested previously, I expect the fares for November and December to be very, very high upon schedule opening. Whether they ever drop into the troposphere or -- more likely -- rise into the mesosphere remains to be seen.
Old May 17, 2016, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mile ho
Agree with this if you are booking days that the sales usually apply to, like Tues thru Thurs or Saturday.

If you are booking a Friday or Sunday, I would book when they open the schedule. For these days, I have seen the cheapest fares at open and they rarely go on sale and/or down if it's a hot market and especially around a holiday. If you are booking for Christmas or Thanksgiving, I advise you book when it opens and monitor to re-fare, just in case.
Yes we are flying on Saturdays so I'll just book it and refare and we are going in December during the winter holidays.
Old May 18, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by ursine1
The schedule is already open through November 4, 2016; presumably you mean you'll be booking flights for November and December, and have already booked flights for June, July, August, September & October?
Yes, exactly - I'm 95% booked through October. Just waiting to see if there's the traditional birthday sale in June.
Old May 19, 2016, 5:17 am

My goodness, rates for Thanksgiving are outrageous, I was looking at Wednesday before Thanksgiving to Monday after and it's over $200 each way for MCI-MSP. Usually it's more like $250 or so total.

Christmas at least is a little more reasonable for now...

Edit: Delta for Thanksgiving is asking only $300 for that route minimum for Thanksgiving, WN is asking $500 on that route and days. They're going to have to come down or all the competition will be flocking to DL.
Old May 19, 2016, 6:13 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I booked 2 December trips this am and found fares using points and CP that I am very happy with. Early Dec RT for two using CP ROC>CLT for 9830 points total. Christmas week booked 12/23 ALB>FLL for 16574 and 12/27 PBI>ALB 6389 points, again using CP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.