Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN pilots' union sues to stop 737 Max, till...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2016, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

From Bloomberg:

Southwest Airlines Co. pilots’ union asked a federal court to block the carrier from flying Boeing Co.’s newest 737 until the plane is negotiated into a new contract for the 8,300 aviators.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...f-737-max-jets
Old May 17, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: WN CP
What's with the crappy clickbait thread title?
Old May 17, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by atothesquiz
What's with the crappy clickbait thread title?
it ups the view count
Old May 17, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA, HA
What's the reason for pilots not wanting to fly an aircraft not listed in their contract?
- fear for their safety?
- worried they'll be unfairly paid for flying it vs other/older planes?

I get that tradition has planes listed in the contract (apparently; I've never read a contract), but can't wrap my head around why.
Old May 17, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA, HA
What's the reason for pilots not wanting to fly an aircraft not listed in their contract?
- fear for their safety?

I get that tradition has planes listed in the contract (apparently; I've never read a contract), but can't wrap my head around why.
Old May 17, 2016, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
- fear for their safety?

My understanding is they want more pay for hauling more people. Until the 800 all Southwest planes carried the same number of passengers. Some MAX variants can carry 200 or more passengers.
Old May 17, 2016, 3:47 pm

The pilots union and Southwest have been in contract negotiations for over 4 years. This is basically a legal challenge being used as a bargaining chip in those negotiations. The WN shareholders meeting is tomorrow, Wednesday May 18th in Chicago.
Old May 17, 2016, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
My understanding is they want more pay for hauling more people. Until the 800 all Southwest planes carried the same number of passengers. Some MAX variants can carry 200 or more passengers.
The 737 MAX 8 and MAX 7's on order for Southwest will be fitted with 175 seats, the same amount as the current 737-800s. The 800s were added to the current pilots contracts as a side letter, so with the expectation that there will be increasingly more larger planes in the future, it could be important to the union to insure they're recognized officially going forward. (In addition to my comment above, which may have made it sound like this was purely a strategic negotiations move.)
Old May 17, 2016, 4:46 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
My understanding is they want more pay for hauling more people.
You mean charging as much as the market will bear? Who ever heard of such a thing! This is Southwest we are talking about.

Oh, wait...

Never mind.
Old May 18, 2016, 6:30 am

Under there CBA, they are only allowed to fly what is covered in the contract. The Max is not covered under the contract yet. 300,500,700,800 and the 717 are the only airplanes that SWA pilots can fly right now. Although they are looking for pay and benefit improvements, its not about the max per say, its just not covered under the CBA.

Labor issues have been brewing for sometime at SWA. Pilots, mechanics and FA's will all be picketing today at the share holders meeting. First time in SWA history that has ever been done. This is not Herbs anymore.
Old May 18, 2016, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
The 737 MAX 8 and MAX 7's on order for Southwest will be fitted with 175 seats, the same amount as the current 737-800s. The 800s were added to the current pilots contracts as a side letter, so with the expectation that there will be increasingly more larger planes in the future, it could be important to the union to insure they're recognized officially going forward. (In addition to my comment above, which may have made it sound like this was purely a strategic negotiations move.)
Yes but at the time the 800s were added by a side letter there were only few of them and I believe the pilots anticipated an early conclusion of contract negotiations.

I believe GK a bungled these negotiations by not getting a contract done before Delta and AA got their new post bankruptcy contracts. The Southwest unions are now looking for a much better contract than either AA or Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.